If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WW2 on preserved railways

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by Corbs, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

A humourous memory from a few years ago...

In my spare time I enjoy researching and being a 'living historian' of WW2 equipment, specifically US army gear. I remember taking part in a '40s weekend at a certain preserved line. Now, re-enactors are often extremely fastidious about the right equipment, and reproduction kit is analysed closely to correspond with the original gear.

With this in mind, fully kitted up in authentic '40s gear and handing out hershey bars, we boarded our train...

A rake of Mk1s hauled by a 9F.
    :D

2. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    By way of contrast, one could go to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway '1940s Experience' tomorrow and ride in carriages the most modern of which was built in 1924, hauled by locomotives that were built in 1876 and 1918!

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/pages/e ... eaflet.pdf

3. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    I too share an interest in the 1940s era, but only from a historical point of view. But I have despaired in the past while working at more than one heritage railway war event, when as a Guard or station staff it has been necessary to assist aged re-enactors dressed in the uniform of the Parachute Regiment on and off a train. It works both ways.

Chris

4. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Haha yes definitely, although the story wouldnt have worked if I'd watered it down with truth now would it!

The 25 stone paratrooper is a running joke among groups.

5. tamper

tamper Member

retired
    Most paratroopers weighed that much (350lb/160Kg) in full combat gear. :smt066