If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Spring Steam Gala, Thu 26-Sun 29 March 2015

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, Jul 20, 2014.

1. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    The theme for the WSR Spring Steam Gala in 2015 is "Steam in South Wales", which provides plenty of scope for GWR, LMS and BR motive power. No visiting locos have been announced as yet..

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You can't seriously recreate South Wales steam without at least one pannier tank and an 0-6-2T, oh a Collett Goods too. And an Austerity with some nice clanky coal wagons, but you'd need typically murky weather to go with that - fond memories of Maesteg in March 1973 for me. The LNWR could be represented by a Webb Coal tank. Dependent on how far the SEPT budget will stretch, another superb weekend is in prospect.

John

3. malc

malc Part of the furniture

They could also include a few Bulleids being taken to the scrapyard.;)

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Volunteers for the dirtying up squad come forward and form an orderly queue please! Will the various Bulleid preservationists grant safe conduct to such people?

John

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Brit & GWR 4-6-0 to recreate mainline services.
    South Wales was more about the various branchlines though, so any the following would fit the bill'
    - Coal Tank
    - GWR Tank (57xx / 42xx / 66xx)
    - Ivatt 2

6. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    If it's a South Wales theme then I'd be thinking about 0-6-2Ts like 5643 and 6619 - real beasties:). I don't suppose there's any chance of the Super D being back by then? A double-headed "heads of the valleys" special with the Coal Tank a la KWVR and SSS3 (if I remember right) would be a good photo opportunity.

Are there any GWR 2-8-0Ts running at the moment?

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

4270 at the G&WR, 4247 at Bodmin, and the 2 at Paignton

8. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

No, withdrawn due to leaking tubes.

9. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Thanks for the responses Paul42, I've never ridden behind a 2-8-0T so any of the ones you mention would be very welcome for me.

On the super D - you're right about it being withdrawn with leaking tubes, but it was also due out of ticket in February (I think) anyway, so there seemed no point in retubing at the time. That said I think Pete Waterman said he wanted it back in steam and would take care of the overhaul for the NRM (who own the grand old lady). Not sure how soon that could be completed though as I seem to recall there was a fair bit of work required. Still South Wales had a fair old LNWR presence so she and the Coal Tank would fit nicely.

On the 0-6-2Ts - 5643 ran at Llangollen for a long time. went out of ticket but is now running on the BB, 6619 was at the NYMR and is now in service on the K&ESR. Both of them are mighty beasts and have my seal of approval, (for what that's worth :)).

10. YoungRailwayMan

YoungRailwayMan Member

Unemployed
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi all,
    Any news on this gala yet engine wise and other stuff

11. Just issued:

"STEAM IN SOUH WALES” IS THE THEME FOR WEST SOMERSET RAILWAY’s 2015 SPRING STEAM GALA

The West Somerset Railway’s Special Events Planning Team (SEPT) has decided that the theme for its 4 Day Spring Steam Gala will be "Steam in South Wales”. Following on from the success of the "Cambrian” Gala in 2013 SEPT is planning to hire in guest engines appropriate to the railway system in the southern part of the Principality and will rename stations after various locations (setting the WSR’s staff some pronunciation challenges in the process once again).

A major discount is still available on the cost of Day Rover Tickets for the 2015 Spring Gala with Adults costing £17.00, seniors (60+) £15.40, child (aged 5 to 15) £8.50 and Family (2 adults and up to 4 children aged 5 to 15) £45.00. For Two Day Rovers for Adults and Seniors the cost will be £30 (children 5 to 15 £15) and Three/Four Day Rovers for Adults and Seniors £40 (£20 for children). This represents a saving of up to 30% on the tickets if they were bought over the counter on the day of the Gala itself. The offer will stay open until close of business on December 31st. After that date advanced tickets will still be still be on sale at discounted prices but the level of discount will be lower.

The discounted tickets can be purchased online at www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk or by telephone 01643 704996 (all cards are accepted except AMEX). Cheques payable to West Somerset Railway can be sent to the Railway Station, Minehead, Somerset, TA24 5BG."

but it doesn't really answer your questions! Sorry.

Steve

12. We had 6619 for a couple of years on the Embsay Bolton Abbey line Yorkshire Dales Railway and superb it was
    Pictures and video's here

http://steammemories.blogspot.co.uk/

13. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    Given the Butlitz connection, surely Minehead will be renamed as Barry Island?
    Any suggestions for the other renamings?

14. I know both well. I was with you all at the West Somerset in August and a wonderful week we had in Somerset and Devon.
    Plenty of Pictures of out visit at

http://steammemories.blogspot.co.uk/

15. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    I saw 6619 in the yard at Embsay once and remember her beasting her way up the 1 in 49 with the teak set on the NYMR, most impressive. Last I saw her I think she was on the K&ESR?

I'd like to have a go behind a 2-8-0T on the WSR as well, although would their water tanks hold enough to pull a 7 coach set from MD to BL?

16. jamesd

jamesd Member

The GW 2-8-0's (tender and tank) are the most disappointing GW locos noise wise as they never seem to be worked particularly hard. I can't remember a single good run I've had behind any of them and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to travel behind them.

17. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I know what you mean but there's footage of 3822 on the TPO at Didcot that clearly shows they can when coaxed.

18. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

With all that power a substantial load & some hill climbing are needed to begin to need even part of it. They do bark if loaded!

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  19. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    I was thinking last night that the grand old lady no 88 was doing a fair bit of barking on the SVR last weekend (I don't mean to imply that she's a dog of course!). She had 8 on (from memory) and arrived at Bewdley 17 minutes down, so the driver gave 88 her head and she responded magnificently.

On the 2-8-0Ts I imagine that with the weight of the water tanks over the driving wheels and the small size of said wheels then (on many lines) the driver wouldn't need to open the regulator very far to get the train moving. Therefore not much chimney chatter. For myself though, (and I suspect many others) it's the noise that matters - we all like to go home well chuffed.

Sorry, I'll get my coat....

20. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I had an incredible run behind 2857 up Eardington bank on the SVR a few weeks ago. Last run of the day and I think the crew wanted to clear the smoke box out prior to disposal! Certainly plenty of noise and the acceleration was awesome.. Just need opportunity, a loco in good shape (otherwise they can be bone shakers) and a willing crew. Chatting to one of the TTI's at the SVR gala he said 2857 was one of his favourite locos for entertainment value.

Andy2857 likes this.