If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Work on heritage railways?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Chris86, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi all,

As some of you will have no doubt noted I am relatively new to the forum....Hi those of you who havnt read any of my posts.

Now, I know that in the main our hobby, is just that a hobby and most of us are volunteers, but I am considering looking into going the net step and possibly having a change of career, attempting to take heritage railway work on as a job.

Just wondering if anone on here has any experience of taking this step, any advice on where to look etc- or even better if anyone wants to give me a job!?

Im 24 (25 next week) Strong, fit, good with people and handy at wielding spanners!

Chris

2. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Chris, this is exactly the same way i found employment with the KESR, Previously i had been a volunteer with the mid hants, before work took me away first to swindon, then down to kent.
    After a while out of work i had to as part of my training programe do a 2 week placement i was able due to a friend do this at rolvendon and the rest i guess is history i was able to work as a voluunteer with the KESR paying my travelling expenses for a year before being taken on as part time paid staff,

Jobs with in heritage railways are rare,and tend to get offered to people from with in first, so my advise is to join your local railway and get yourself known if you have the skill you should be able to progress several are now even offering apprenticeships but it wont happen overnight so why not also send your CV round to every railway who knows you might just get lucky

3. swanrail

swanrail Guest

If you want to make it a career its hard. The money isn't great.....

If you have got a bit of money behind you, go for it. If you don't, consider it seriously especially if you haven't got any qualifications to fall back on.
    Which you may well have to do once you start looking for property.

You are not going to make an awful lot of money unless you are seriously skilled engineer or have flair in management.
    You have to look after no.1

4. Edward

Edward Member

Have you considered working in the mainline railway industry?

Far more money, less politics and it's still an interesting environment. There's plenty of apprenticeships out there, if you go looking, as well as the obvious operational roles. All give you a decent future, and a future that you can afford to raise a family on.

5. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I did think about the 'Big' Railway, Im not entirely sure where to star tthe search though.

I have recently been providing water safety and rescue cover for a civil engineering company on a high profile set of works in the Northwest, so it did get me thinking.......

Chris