If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Which railway station was used in filming the Avengers "Doomsday Noon " in 1968?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by dampflok, Mar 6, 2012.

1. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Saw this episode on german TV recently,parts of it were filmed on a closed railway station.
    The buildings were quite primitive and it looked lile the line had been closed to passengers
    long ago. The platforms were built from concrete blocks.
    The film crew hung an LMS sign onto the canopy ,but it did;nt fit in with the rest of the
    station.

thanks Keith

2. 44662

44662 New Member

retired policeman/classroom support assistant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    From John Huntleys book"Railways on the Screen" the station was Stanbridgeford on the Leighton Buzzard to Dunstable line.

3. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Many thanks 44662 .

Keith

4. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    According to the book "The Hatfield, Luton and Dunstable Railway (and on to Leighton Buzzard)" by Sue and Geoff Woodward, Oakwood Press 1994, the filming took place in October 1968 with a forty-strong TV crew from Elstree, the station being demolished soon afterwards.

5. David Buttery

David Buttery New Member

The station building at Stanbridgeford is still in existence: Bedford Borough Council has this photo of it from 2008.

6. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    David - thanks very much for that interesting link. But the house shown in the Bedford BC picture is the stationmaster's house, not the station buildings. The Woodwards' book has a photograph by H C Casserley clearly showing wooden waiting rooms etc. on the 'Up' platform, which are also on the 1927 plan on the linked website, and it must have been these that were demolished after the filming. Indeed, looking at the photo it is clear to see that these were the buildings used in the Avengers episode.

7. David Buttery

David Buttery New Member

Ah, I see; thanks for the correction. That'll teach me to go taking council websites as gospel on these things!

8. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    It's a very minor matter, really, but I thought it worth mentioning that the Woodwards' book had a photo of the station buildings in just 'for the record'. Being involved with St Albans South signal box has taught me that you need to go to the most original sources you can to be reasonably certain of getting things right! We've had to alter our history of the box several times as new evidence has come to light.