If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Which Preserved Lines have Electric Car Charging Points??

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by johnofwessex, Nov 25, 2017.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And for those that don't and aren't planning any right now why not?

I would have thought that given the likely length of a visit a standard 13A plug might suffice and a marked bay

2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

who pays? what is the advantage to the Railway?

3. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    We have two charging points in Havenstreet car park.

4. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

I'd have thought the advantage is attracting the customer which only owns an electric car (which, although perhaps rare, is only going to become more common) and selling tickets to those travelling on it. If the railway is not served by brilliant public transport then driving may realistically be the only way potential customers are going to arrive. Putting an electric charging point in means those customers who own an electric car and might not be able to do a return trip on one charge are more likely to be able to visit.

(Yes, I know perhaps at the moment the number of people this may apply to is quite small, but it's only going to grow in number)

5. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Which charging company do you use and do you charge?
    Would it be worth adding this to Zap Maps? ( It is the definitive mapping of charging points.)

Cheers, Neil

( Haven Street is conveniently positioned between parents in West Cowes and Sandown!)

PS I hope they are marked "Electric Vehicles Only"!

6. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    I haven’t the foggiest, I should be in next Tuesday so will have a look.

7. Reading General

but surely the need for a charge in the middle of the day out will only reduce as technology improves. If there is a need for charge points, as you say, how cost effective is installing facilities for one or two visitors and what about the third guy who turns up in those circumstances and finds he can't charge his car?

8. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

As technology improves, yes, theoretically it will mean people can do greater ranges on a single charge, but then that will mean there will be greater distances where people could do it if given the opportunity for a top-up. And because electric charging is always going to take longer than popping into a petrol station an electric car driver is always going to appreciate being able to turn up at somewhere they can just plug it in while they go and do something else, even if it's not close to empty or going to be able to fill up in the time it's there. Whenever I have a period I know I can, I always plug my phone in, even if it's still got a good chunk of battery left. If my car was electric I would treat it the same way. Just to give me that extra peace of mind.

The risk of a third guy turning up is going to be a risk in every single place electric charging points are placed. It doesn't mean it should be used as a reason not to put one in. If a railway was so inclined, they could always offer pre-booking the space, a bit like pre-booking a ticket. I know that wouldn't completely solve the problem, but it's a possibility.

9. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I would have thought that a 13A plug and a marked bay or two would suffice in most cases for now. That wont be expensive

10. Reading General

well surely if everyone parks wherever they are going with your method of plugging it in " just in case", there will never be enough charging points. You would be getting peace of mind whilst some other guy with a near flat battery would be in trouble. I can see so many problems with charging points, better to develop quick charging stations where the EV can be topped up as quick as a petrol vehicle.

michaelh likes this.
  11. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
  12. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    A fast charge from 40% to 85% of battery capacity takes about 30 to 40 minutes on a Nissan Leaf. So at Haven Street, that is time purchase tickets and a quick look around the museum and then come back and move the car.

13A through a normal socket is really just an emergency system. My wife tried it once and 9 hours charge went from 35% to 60% charge.

What really annoys electric car owners is internal combustion cars using the charging bay because they can't be bothered to drive any further. ( If you're the owner of the KIA SUV who blocks both the charging bay at Winchester Chesil car park, please remember one day you might be blocked in by out of charge electric cars .... )

Most Nissan garages offer a fast charge service to Nissan electric cars even if purchased elsewhere. Great for a toilet stop and a free coffee! I guess other makers do something similar.

Cheers, Neil

PS Contrary to some comments, electric cars cannot tap into the 3rd rail. I don't think I would be popular filling up the boot with 3rd rail earthing straps.....

13. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    A practice - when deliberately carried out - known as 'Musking', I understand...

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Just like all those morons who park in disabled bays.

goldfish likes this.
  15. Reading General

I would suggest a meaningful proportion of persons plugging in wouldn't come back and move it before their ride.

30854 likes this.
  16. 30854

Retired
    Human nature being what it is, I would suggest you are quite correct.

It's worth keeping in mind that the familiar 'filling station' concept didn't spring into life along with the infernal combustion engine. Before the advent of the petrol pump we're familiar with, petrol was dispensed by pharmacies, amongst other diverse outlets. Point is, the whole 'car experience' we take for granted was as much a gradual evolution towards the broad m.o. of today as was the development of the steam loco and as the move to electric vehicles will be.

With workaday driverless cars looming on the horizon, coupled with the near omnipresence of electrical supply (certainly when compared with bulk petrol/diesel storage tanks), the eventual solution(s) to how and where electric vehicles are charged are likely to develop along some novel lines. With comparatively few electric vehicles, as a percentage of the total of everything on the roads at present, we're very much witnessing the birth of a whole new transport ethos. There are so many possibilities for how it develops that I'd hesitate to make any firm predictions.

17. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Abellio Scotrail have charging points at some of their stations, I saw some at Carluke back in the Spring ( just a few and probably about as far from the platforms as you could get, but that's an aside ) and that's exactly the thought I had, what use are they if someone hooks up their car and goes off to work for the next 10 hours. Support for electric cars is at an immature stage of development and I'd imagine heritage organisations have rather more pressing things to deal with and spend money on.

18. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    DSCN1722.JPG

Not at a preserved Station but not far from Ryde Esplanade Station are three reserved electric car charging points, two of the positions normally have car club vehicles sitting in them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    30854 likes this.
  19. Robert F

Robert F New Member

30854 likes this.
  20. 30854

Retired
    Electric or otherwise?