If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

What "modern" Railway Rolling Stock Would You Preserve?

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by richards, May 1, 2013.

1. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This 35-year-old hopper wagon is now part of the Locomotion collection at Shildon:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...63251806135.285142.20340411135&type=1&theater
    (this link should work even if you're not registered on Facebook)

Which "modern" railway loco, rolling stock or infrastructure do you think should be preserved in another 35 years' time?

Richard

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    I think a Class 59 would be a good candidate for preservation.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

A class 142 and 150 sprinter...
    Full HST set.

5. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

phone 102013 069.jpg

6. markb846

markb846 New Member

In addition to the HST. How about a Class 442 Wessex Electric. For a little controversy how about a Cl57 A General Motors powered class 56 in a class 47 box

7. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Come on guys - give some reasons for your choices.

Here's my guesses, but please correct me:

Class 59: the first of the (many) US invaders?
    142 Pacer: Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
    150 Sprinter: the first of the successful next generation dmus based on the Mk3 bodyshell?

I'm going to suggest something a bit left-field:

[​IMG]

The first true driving trailer developed initially for ScotRail, which later lead to the West Coast and East Coast main line push-pull operations.

Richard

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Preserved is one thing. Operating? That is when things get tricky. For example, a full HST is definitely worthy of preservation. But can you imagine any preservation group having the financial and manpower resources to preserve one - two locos, 7-8 carriages, all simultaneously in working order? And whereas quite a lot of heritage railways can give a reasonable representation of a traditional wagon-load freight train, the chances of seeing a representative modern freight train in action in, say, 40 or 50 years is next to zero. Someone might preserve, say, a class 58 and an MGR hopper. But who is going to preserve (or even store), say, a class 58 and 20 hoppers; or a class 59 and a dozen bogie stone wagons?

It's not that I don't think that some of those subjects are worthy of preservation, but the logistics - whether stored in a museum or running on a preserved line - are formidable.

Tom

9. markb846

markb846 New Member

I would go for the Mk2 Driving Brake Standard Open. As they were quite nice coaches. I guess the TDM would have to be put back to original to work with a 47/7.
    Looks like the one in your picture has disc brakes, as the WSP loom is visible.

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

A class 142 is a better bet than a 141,143 or 144... they were BR built, and Nationally deployed, unlike their more regional class siblings.
    Whatever you think of a 142.. they work, they served their purpose and have held many financially constrained lines open for service at a time when the country and the railways were also financially constrained.
    As a form of commuter transport, most people will relate to one of these units far more than any other, whether thats a good or a bad memory, but that is what preserving history is about.

No one preserved a class 304 unit, or before it a Fowler / Stanier tank... given chance would anyone now ?

11. Reading General

amongst the first TRUE driving trailers were the southern 4TC units...what a fine system they had then, compatible with 4REP, classes 33 and 73 and a whole host of other stuff.... are there enough coaches left to form a 4TC unit on a preserved line? Somewhere like Swanage would be great

12. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

13. xg125

xg125 New Member

It would be a 325 unit for me.

14. Reading General

abit short on info there I thought, will re-read it thoug "It has been decided, to make the TC more versatile, to fit other types of push pull, including Westinghouse,TDM,and Siemens. This will allow multiple working with most electric locos,M7 class ,HST power cars and the Desiro fleet. Investigation also under way into fitting the GWR rod system, but will probably not happen, as its western".h...this bit on FB worried me slightly,

15. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

Did y0u note the date that this post was added!!!

16. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

I'm sure someday a class 66 will be preserved and I suppose, it is only right that it should be considering how it has almost single handedly taken over all freight traffic, displacing many other classes.

I'm sure that there will be calls for the likes of a Pendolino to be preserved but in an operating state? Anything that requires external power sources ie. electricity will always find it hard to find somewhere to operate. Personally I'd love to see the APT roaring up and down the WCML. I'm sure there are others as well but as has already been said, where would the manpower and financial support come from to not only keep a full set operational but to a mainline standard.

17. charterplan

charterplan Member

In terms of DMU, class 142 pacer in regional railways livery,class 144 in Metro West Yorkshire livery, class 31,33,37,40,45,47,50,55,56,86,87,90.
    I have noted that certain locos have long been scrapped but should have been saves, as like the Woodhead class 76 and 77 loco as i believe they was cut up by Booth Rotherham, but also many other ex BR British locos are being scrapped, which once built at Vulcan,English Electric Crewe and Derby, but also the ones built by MCW like the 175.

Certainly, in view of the enthusiast, many classes should have been saved before they are completely gone, but although the class 66 is on British rails, it sure is an ugly thing.

18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

A full HST is/was designated for the NRM collection.

19. Reading General

i did as it happens...i thought " nah, couldnt be..."

20. Reading General

virtually all of those locos already have members