If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They did, but radios make the whole job a lot easier and safer. Common sense prevails.

2. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Ah yes, common sense. A frowned on commodity these days when everything's SO dangerous we have to be told what to do at every turn!

3. Jamie Glover

Jamie Glover New Member

Civil engineer (Railway infrastructure).
    It is interesting to note that the extreme western end of the Norton Triangle runs on to what was once a part of the former Barnstable route track bed. It would be interesting to hear how much of the track bed remains intact beyond the head shunt.

If the Barnstable track route could be kept intact - perhaps the WSR, some time in the next fifty years, might consider extending towards Wiveliscombe and perhaps beyond?

4. The Barnstaple formation beyond Allerford Bridge (the western limit of WSRA land at Norton) to Wivey has suffered the usual reclamations - housing, agricultural use and farm tracks, and the Milverton by-pass, which show well on Google Earth (or Maps).

So, extending to Wivey is extremely unlikely. Barnstaple itself would be the only viable target for extension and the North Devon Link road has been built on much of the line at that end (in my humble view).

Nice thought, though!

Steve
    (WSW)

5. Lingus

Lingus New Member

If any extension is considered surely far better to look towards the bay at Taunton despite the great difficulties that exist.

6. Absolutely right, Lingus.

Steve
    (WSW)

7. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

The obvious destination in the minds of many!
    Good to see there will be a new cafe at BL. If offering good value for money meals, could be a huge benifit to the station.

8. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Also with the good news of the second pit road at BL , I hear there is to be a 'roof' over all, much needed in winter, & not just for loco's too! But may I make a plea & ask that it will be in keeping with steam age arcitecture? It may be there for years ,50 maybe? so can we have a slate roof with smoke vents at least? etc. you see what I'm getting at, or is that asking too much, or will a lack of a ha.porth of tar spoil the ship? At least can we not have it looking like an open sided B&Q!!

9. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    More interesting news about the new triangle was published yesterday. It is now planned to connect the southern leg of the triangle (on the former Barnstaple line formation) directly onto the WSR running line at Norton Fitzwarren. This additional new connection will be right at the WSR/Network Rail boundary (milepost 165 1/4) and is almost exactly where the Minehead and Barnstaple branches joined in days of old. It will not be possible for WSR locos and stock to use this connection as they would stray onto NR territory. But the connection is being installed under an agreement between Network Rail and the WSR to allow long Network Rail PW trains such as the High Output Ballast Cleaner and the Track Renewal Train to be turned using the southern and western chords of the triangle along with the WSR running line. It sounds like more good business for the WSR. As usual further details may be found at www.wsr.org.uk and also at the Association website www.wsra.org.uk

David

10. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Good news David. A name for the new lead- Main Line Junction. ?

11. gwr4090

Scientist (Rtd)
    ...or Barnstaple Junction maybe ?

12. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Just looking at the map at http://www.wsr.org.uk/nortonmap.htm, and as someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of the project so to speak. I take it the original triangle was using the East Chord. I also notice in this map that the platform is single track with no run round loop. Does this mean all trains to Norton with have to the T&T or is the final plan to have a loop here? (Thought I assume on gala days the loco will be shunt released by a loco already turned and locked into the triangle?)

Sorry for so many questions!

Chris

13. gwr4090

Scientist (Rtd)

I understand that the new Norton platform has been constructed so that it could eventually be converted into an island, with a second track and independent run-round loop on the south side. This would allow trains to arrive and run round etc, or change engines, while keeping the main running line clear for trains to/from NR if required.

David

14. Yes, the East Chord is being constructed as planned. It is required for WSR-based operations involving non-NR approved stock. David has admirably answered your question about Norton Platform. I think future operational moves for passenger trains has yet to be worked out, so current top/tail or DMU-type scenarios will remain for the foreseeable. Thanks for the questions - and the mention of the map which reminds me I need to update it!

Steve
    (WSW)

15. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Thanks for the prompt reply guys. Looks like the whole project is progressing well. Congrats guys!

I definitely need to get down some point soon as its a railway I've regrettably never been to.

16. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Just had a return trip om the WSR. Had 88 BL to MD (Many thanks to the fireman who invited me and my 2 yr old up on the footplate of 88 at BL!).
    Then had 3850 MD to BL. it really is a superbly turned-out railway - in all respects. So deserves to run into the bay at Taunton!
    One question I have though. On the ride behind 3850 we experienced quite significant 'bucking' i.e jigging back and forth (was in the 1st coach behind loco) - so much that it was hard to move around in the carriage and would have been impossible to drink a tea. Now, it only seemed to happen when there was no pull on the drawbar, i.e. downhill and coasting on the level. Can anyone confirm if this could be due to the screw coupling between the tender and 1st coach no being properly tightened? Is it a 'characteristic' of 3850? In any case, there is no way the Quantock Belle could run like that - not if the diners want to avoid wearing their supper!

17. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Gee Wizz it must have been bad, up front.

I was also on the 4.05 MD-BL service today and felt the 'bucking' in the rear coach of the set. It was so bad at one stage that an elderly lady almost lost her balance in our coach as we pulled into a stand at Blue Anchor.

18. Thanks for the comments, guys, which I have forwarded to the GM at Minehead. These things need to be looked into and if necessary put right.

Steve

19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Possibly caused by running with the reverser too far back, especially if the valves aren't quite right. Probably wouldn't be noticeable on the loco. Only possibly, not definitely!

20. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Perhaps im mistaken but i had the impression this was a pretty common side-affect of using freight engines on passenger trains because of the way the wheels are balanced, producing a sea-saw motion when working hard.

Chris