If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    YABU! There are a nultude of possible reason.

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think it was probably unwise to commit to daily blog updates on 9351 in the first place, The closest comparison I can think of is our C+W blog which has 4 posts a week covering all 4 of our working days. But inevitably the 2 people who write it don't always have time to write it up immediately as they're incredibly busy people so it's not unusual for there to be no updates for a week or so. There might be the occasional good humoured jibe about F5 keys being worn out but everyone has that understanding that folk are busy, they're doing their best, and that updating a blog isn't likely to be top of their priority list.

3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

That is fair provided that you also accept that it is entirely legitimate for someone making a communication to decide that they wish to use a particular medium for their own convenience and require that would be readers use that medium.

I can think of one non railway organisation that I’m affiliated to which does this and causes my wife and I to look at Facebook despite determinedly not having an account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

AIUI, the demise of the commercial port was because insurance companies refused to continue to insure ships that used drying harbours (ones that are dry at low tide).

5. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    The harbour was busy with Scandinavian timber and Ford car parts until the small ships that used it could not run anymore as Bayard sets out.

Nothing to do with the paper mill, which had moved to a road based existence long before the line shut in 1971.

Robin

6. Faol

Faol Member

Any port in a storm
    Robin, my Grandparents lived in Wyndham Road, Watchet so I was a visitor to the docks from age about 6. The main cargo in the 50s was esparto grass for the mill. The Scandinavian timber came right at the end. I cannot remember Ford car parts but there was an extremely busy export of Bedford (Vauxhall) HA Vans (the ones based on the early Viva floor pan). Each van was a kit that was in 2 crates and each crate fitted into a standard steel sided mineral wagon. ken

Ferguson and Yorkshireman like this.
  7. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    Mostly engines (or gear boxes?) from a plant in Spain, IIRC.

A temporarily lucrative cargo was coal during the miners strike as Watchet was a non-union port. It came from Russia (or Poland?) in lumps - often as big as a mini - that had to be craned out of the ship onto the dockside and then broken up with pneumatic hammers before loading onto lorries.

Robin

Yorkshireman likes this.
  8. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

A shame the line doesn't have that freight today; it may have helped their solvency problems. ;)

9. tracker

tracker Member

Retired IT manager
    Fairly frequently, a search on Google for the WSR produces Steve's "unofficial" site in number one position.
    That's fine by me, but the WSR website ought to be in that spot. SEO isn't rocket science.
    There are a few on this thread who cannot understand what Google does... so that's why I have included what SEO means below:-

....for those who say they do not understand abbreviations, SEO means Search Engine Optimisation.

Robin L.

Triumph 2500S and ghost like this.
  10. flying scotsman123

I agree, before I became acquainted with this thread I was never quite sure which website I was "supposed" to be on as a visitor and enthusiast. That is meant both as a compliment to the professional look of Steve's website but also a more general point about how the WSR is stumbled upon online.

11. tracker

tracker Member

Retired IT manager
    Agreed. I get a newsletter every Sunday evening from the Bluebell Railway after sending a number of donations some years back to the Imberhorne Cutting clearance appeals....
    Everyone is busy and has things to do....but do not ignore supporters.
    Robin L.

Triumph 2500S likes this.
  12. tracker

tracker Member

Retired IT manager
    Volunteering has to be by locals, or people who can get there easily... I live in Essex, 5 hours drive from Minehead.. and I'm almost 75 years old... so please do not equate "does not currently volunteer" with not wanting to, or being able to.
    Robin L.

13. tracker

tracker Member

Retired IT manager
    Facebook is stealing data, manipulating people with targeted ads, and an utter disgrace. Anyone who expects me to subscribe to it is wasting their time.
    Robin L.

14. tracker

tracker Member

Retired IT manager
    Yes you are, and very much so.
    Robin L.

15. tracker

tracker Member

Retired IT manager
    And you seriously suggest that non-users should do this to remain safe? Facebook is an utter waste of space.
    Robin L.

nine elms fan likes this.
  16. flying scotsman123

Seems reasonable to me. If the info is there and you wish to view it but you object to joining Facebook, there's you're solution.

D8568 likes this.
  17. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Volunteering , to me, has to be done by those who are most passionate about it. Distance is not an insurmountable barrier - we have quite a few volunteers who come considerable distances and stay for a few days. Disabilities do not automatically prevent volunteering, for instance, if a person has a physical disability, a 'sit down' job could be the answer. If someone really wants to get involved, circumstances may dictate that they may not be able to get their 'first choice' but there are many alternatives.

18. daveb

daveb Member

I spent years being determined not to use Facebook. I eventually set up an account when the WSRA Reform Group were temporarily asked not to use NatPres, and they set up a group on Facebook. I don't post to it often, but it has its uses. For example, I'm a member of a group consisting of residents in the same village. About a month ago, someone asked for recommendations for boiler repairs. When my boiler broke down about a week later, I went back to that post and contacted one of the recommended companies. I got a really rapid response and superb service.

Regarding "manipulating people with targeted ads", it's no worse than any commercial news site. The ads are less obtrusive and easier to ignore. They certainly aren't as annoying as those on.... NatPres, for example!!

MattA, michaelh, D8568 and 5 others like this.
  19. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    I tend to regard social media as a rather wider form of 'going down the pub.'

A useful place to meet a range of folk you might not come across elsewhere, but you have to remember that it is an uncontrolled public space where your conversation will be overheard by others. Some management but not too 'heavy' if you obey the rules. Not a good place to shoot your mouth off with unpleasant comments - but some folk feel unable to restrain themselves... Not a place to discuss my legal clients' affairs, or some other sensitive aspects of life.

See the parallels? I never understand folk who have problems with social media. But then, I have never yet been barred from the village pub.

Robin

Sunnieboy, MattA, daveb and 7 others like this.
  20. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

You're right Robin. Also, accessing FB to view postings is not necessary the same as having a personal login account - tends on whether user wants to read or contribute I guess. I found it excruciating seeing those from the pub behaving aggressively online like they wouldn't do in the pub and simply decided not to watch. :)
    It is what it is though - FB only 'use' rather than 'steal' what individuals choose to share about themselves.