If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That seems fair enough but is perhaps a good demonstration as to why better communication between members and boards that remains between those two parties is key - I wouldn't expect plenty of things to get published on NatPres yet it seems routine here and perhaps that's part of the reason; there's little trust that any info disseminated just to volunteers or another group wouldn't make it out into the big wide world. Certainly if I read or hear something related to my railway, I almost always wait until the same information is available publicly, even if it seems fairly innocuous. I do this for a number of reasons, none of which is as a result of a direct order from anyone high up.

2. dhpaul

dhpaul Member

A predictably negative but to be expected response to a sensible time and effort saving suggestion.

tracker, The Dainton Banker and jnc like this.
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The important thing is to look forward not rake over the past. The latter serves no useful purpose if the lessons have been learned. A new Chairman needs to be given a reasonable time to make his mark. Also remember that his appointment has to be confirmed at the WSR PLC .AGM. There are promising signs even though all is not to everyone’s liking. Also remember that unless he can convince the board to take some difficult choices he will fail as several past chairmen have.

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    That's a relief - I was worried that 'lifting at Williton' might have meant lifting track. I'm glad that changes by the new management are not that drastic!

5. Thanks! I hope you give it a try ;)

Steve

6. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    I really don't understand the more extreme comments and distrust some folk like to post here.

All the WSRA Trustees are listed on the WSRA website www.wsra.org.uk with mugshots and e-mail addresses. From the home page go to 'membership matters' and then 'the team'.

If you want to contact us we are available via those means.

Robin

7. trevorgower

trevorgower New Member

Retired
    I have visited the vast majority of Heritage Railways in the last 40 years and am yet to leave one disappointed. I try to chat with volunteers and they are usually so willing to talk about their railway nearly always in a very positive way. So few have pages on the National Preservation site and if they do it only amounts to around 1-10. WSRO has 796! Perhaps it is time to end this volume. I last visited the WSR in 2010 and found it an amazing place/experience. Keep up the good work but this forum is NOT a good idea for you.

SouthWestMainline and 47216 like this.
  8. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

An interesting if puzzling comment indeed when the ownerships of the various currently resident GWSR locos is considered.

9. When Dee and I began volunteering we were definitely under the impression that membership of WSRA was a given for volunteers. This view seemed to be shared by all of our colleagues at the time and, as far as we knew, those we worked with were indeed all in membership. It was a couple of years at least before we discovered, to our surprise, that WSRA membership was not actually compulsory. Our volunteer efforts were concentrated on various WSRA activities though, so this might not have been the general view outside of that bubble. Also, we were already members for a few years before we started volunteering, so the question didn't arise at recruitment. Twenty years later an 'exit poll' of our colleagues at that time revealed the shocking result that the majority were not in membership. A missed opportunity I'd say.

Bill Drewett, dhpaul, daveb and 7 others like this.
  10. Paul Kibbey

Paul Kibbey Well-Known Member

Retired
    But hardly typical .

michaelh and paulhitch like this.
  11. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    So how bad does it have to get before it needs fixing?

Bill Drewett, jnc, daveb and 4 others like this.
  12. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Oh no! Reasonably big chuffer-itis!

13. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    What evidence have you that the individual friends groups etc. Don’t work together? Answer none. Just another trouble maker.

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  14. flying scotsman123

Ah, I was wondering who'd spot that first Wilson! In fact I was quite surprised no one else had picked me up on it! Taking locomotives out of it for a minute, the Trust and the Plc on the GWSR work very closely together with the trust granting the Plc 6 figure sums every year for a variety of things. On the WSR there are two trusts neither of which appear to support the Plc but simply happen to exist on the same railway line, leading to conflict. Putting locos back in, on the WSR 4110 could be used as a way for the WSRA to support the Plc bringing them closer together and improving the working relationship. On the GWSR we don't need to share steam engines between our two organisations to keep things nice, we've never owned a steam loco and we don't wan't to. Instead we spend the money making Toddington an attractive place to base your loco so we have groups come to us, asking if they can come and run on our railway, and provide volunteers to work on their locos as well as their own volunteers, who still have to join the steam loco department on the railway and hence the trust.

Complexity doesn't necessarily come from how many particular groups are on a railway. I wouldn't claim that the WSR structure is complex due to the number of individual station groups, the DEPG or any individual loco groups. They all have a specific, defined purpose so there is no complexity. The complexity comes from the WSSRT, WSRA, WSR Plc, WSRA(restorations), and the fact that volunteers don't need to have a stake in any of these organisations, which is much simpler on the GWSR.

15. flying scotsman123

Once again you are the only one to invoke the various friends groups to try and muddy the waters and suggest the WSR doesn't need change. It plainly does. I would be reluctant to dismiss @Steve 's views as an experienced preservationist as those of a trouble maker..

16. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Well-Known Member

True, but more interesting. :)

Triumph 2500S likes this.
  17. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Is everyone who disagrees with you a trouble-maker in your opinion? I'll let others decide on whether to agree with you, or not.

18. Dennis John Brooks

Dennis John Brooks Member

Retired
    I think that if the WSRA does gain ownership of 4110 they should sell the Manor & use the funds to get the 2 more line suited engines back in steam.

DJB.

Triumph 2500S likes this.
  19. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    (1) We would welcome your membership, which would be the best route to make your views effective.

(2) I hardly think it is a given that 4561 and 4110 are better suited to the WSR than 7821. Or have I misunderstood something?

Robin

20. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

4561 will only be able to take 6 to 7 coaches (this number depends who you talk to) so, will be on the small side for the main season until a rank of GWR coaches come into use, so 7821 will be a better engine for the main season without been too big but, 4110 will be best size out of the three.