If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Paul Kibbey

Paul Kibbey Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looking at the pictures of 4110 and seeing the rusty water tanks that Aldfort indicated needed replacing , although the bunker looks good from a distance so might it become another Mogul like 9351 ? I know the " purists " will be up in arms but wouldn't we be left with the perfect loco , one with sufficient power for most trains and an abundance of water capacity . I don't know if it is feasible due to cost or even desirable . TBH 9351 is a favourite loco of mine , being modified for the WSR by the WSR . Looking forward to it's return .

stimpy and mvpeters like this.
  2. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer

The report of the Council to members of the Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society issued last week states "Public bookings fell by 0.8% to 36,463" for 2017 . I think that may be taken as a more reliable source than the link quoted.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  3. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

The WSR have stated that 4110 will be restored to original condition, not as another mogul. That’s of course if they decide to keep it.

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  4. 34046 Braunton will be perfectly placed to operate its advertised duties on RTC's Royal Duchy charter trains from Taunton to Par and return, on both 2nd & 16th September. Light engine mileage involved will be something of a contrast to the last Royal Duchy on 22nd July, when 44871 ran Carnforth-Bristol-Carnforth especially to appear on that one train.

Interestingly RTC publicity for these forthcoming Royal Duchy trains refers to the locomotive's true identity, rather than the current painted number 34052. Perhaps it will revert to 34046 before 2nd September? It would certainly be good to see the loco run as Braunton again on the Wizzer. Evidence, or red herring, is provided by the fact that recent RTC charters hauled by this 'West Country' had been marketed using the Lord Dowding identity.

Should the inevitable identity change come about during 34046's WSR tenure, it could just be worth marketing the engine's visit within North Devon. We have grandchildren living in and attending school in Braunton who had absolutely no idea of 34046's existence! It's a long time since their Mayor rededicated the town's namesake after all. Ultimately though, I guess timing of the name change rests entirely with the locomotive's owner.

5. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

I fear that you may be suffering under the delusion that only holidaymakers ride on preserved railways. If you want to get from A to B and don't want to drive or don't have a car, then the railway is an option, provided it has stations at both A and B, whether it be a "tourist" line or NR.
    Incidentally, when BR replaced some DMU services on the West Highland with a steam service, did everyone using the line suddenly become a tourist, do you think, or did all the "real" passengers wait until a proper train arrived?

TommyD, jnc, Colin Allcars and 4 others like this.
  6. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

I did think that Braunton would have been more appropriate- a West Country in the West Country. But maybe the assumption is that people are more drawn by the ww2 connection?

Braunton must be one of the most geographically close West Country names to the WSR.

tracker and Barrie the Beer like this.
  7. A name change at the end of August could give us the best of both worlds. To commercially exploit the North Devon connection, an out and back diagram commencing at Minehead would probably be sensible. Academic for now though.

8. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Well at least Chard, Yeovil, Axminster, Honiton, (City of) Wells, Lynton, Crewkerne Exeter, Otter St Mary etc etc are closer than Braunton and could be at least 20 of the WC class.

9. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

This is easily answered but, as I said, it is time to bring this to a close. If you genuinely want an answer, contact me privately.

PH

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  10. Braunton is 39 miles from Minehead by road, an hour comfortably. Wells is about the same time/distance from Bishops Lydeard. All those other 'WC's are long scrapped.

11. stimpy

stimpy New Member

self employed
    I think Taw Valley might win it by a nose :)

Barrie the Beer likes this.
  12. stimpy

stimpy New Member

self employed
    Out of interest, here is a list of component parts carried by 34046 which I compiled whilst working on her restoration -

The restored loco carries parts and stamps from the following locos.

21C110/34010 – slidebars; combination lever

34023 - ?battery box

34027 – inside eccentric rod

34040 – regulator handle

34048 – expansion link die block

34053 – outside expansion links; union links; brake gear; regulator stuffing box; cab frame.

34062 – expansion link die block

34073 – smokebox door

34102 – three side rods

21C1 – front bogie axle box keep

35006 – expansion link bush housing

35022 – radius rods; speedo crank

35026 – motion part

35027 – union links

Going the other way, the speedometer drive crank from 34046 can be seen on the cutaway MN 35029 at York. The original cab frame was deemed too badly distorted but was eventually used on 34053 (both locos were at Williton for a while at the start of restoration).

13. Wow, what an absolutely fascinating list. Assuming '46 to be a typical example, there are probably components from nearly all 140 Bulleid Pacifics among the preserved fleet.

14. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

That's amazing! Thanks for posting.

15. stimpy

stimpy New Member

self employed
    Also of interest -

34046 has the 1st WC/BB boiler (no.1261) to be made. This was first fitted to

21C110 Sidmouth 9/45;

21C108 Padstow 7/2/48;

21C118 Axminster 29/9/50;

34073 249 Squadron 17/10/53;

?? 4/10/58;

34046 Braunton 2/59

Boiler no.1261 was initially fitted to 21C101 Exeter, but was failed in the frames with substandard welding along with the other 5 boilers first built. Brighton’s welders were offered advice/training from Eastleigh but refused.

green five and dinmore7820 like this.
  16. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

34099 must be nearest?

17. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

19. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

User error :oops: I’ll add it tonight ...

Tom

Martin Perry likes this.
  20. Occasional

Occasional New Member

Whatever the name if it is changed the publicists will need some notice to reach the printed/broadcast media in North Devon. In the case of newspapers build in a lag factor of up to 10 days between news being released and appearing in a weekly title, although it may make the title's website before that.