If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    In one paragraph, Mr Magic accuses the WSSRT of putting their interests ahead of others. That is his opinion. You may not like it, but it is his opinion.
    In the next paragraph he states that people like JJP are aided by useful idiots. He does not accuse the WSSRT of being useful idiots. You have inferred a supposed insult to yourself from two separate paragraphs of a post about the WSSRT.

Defend then, the continued silence from the WSSRT on the matter of the S&DRT? Either the WSSRT sees its interests best served by the eviction, or by keeping quiet about the eviction, and the costly court case that seems inevitable and could well result in the bankruptcy of the WSR. Either way, the WSSRT, by keeping silent, is putting the interests of the WSSRT ahead of the S&DRT and the WSR.

Chufferpuff, Piggy, jma1009 and 2 others like this.
  2. Downline

Downline New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Am I correct in recalling the owner of the bus company mentioned has been quoted as saying he successfully runs a fleet of buses and lorries at a stakeholder meeting? The same individual that isn't a director of any of these companies any more.
    Speaking with individuals in the industry, that would suggest there is a little bit more to it than what has been posted by the Transport Media to date.

45076 likes this.
  3. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

"Careerists" is possibly a bit harsh. I am sure many of the people who volunteer on the WSR do it as more of a vocation than a career, even if some of them do think that the railway's best interest is their own self-interest too.

I recall one frequent poster on this thread has said they expected to be given a seat on the WSR board but weren't, and that the railway wouldn't be in the state it is if they had been. I suppose that level of entitlement could be described as careerism. Equally, if the only route onto the board now is by keeping the Dear Leader happy, I can see why they would want to stay on his good side.

(before anyone accuses me of hurling vague allegations, I've taken the trouble to go and dig up the post I was thinking of)

4. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

What a most interesting and revealing post that I had missed originally!

Thank you, 'Forestpines', for posting this.

Cheers,

Julian

5. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

You’ve not said which person; which companies; or what the ‘bit more’ is. If you mean the current WSR plc Chairman he is indeed a director of several other companies, as you can easily check on the Companies House website. His own website also says he’s Chairman of several companies. So, although I deplore the plc’s actions and statements concerning the S&D eviction I think your recollection must be incorrect.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  6. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Somerset Passenger Solutions provide all the passenger transport requirements for the Hinkley Point C Project.

Somerset Passenger Solutions was formed in 2016 as a joint venture between First Group (South West) and JJP Holdings, to serve the passenger transport needs of the Hinkley Point C Project. Construction of HPC is scheduled to continue until 2025.

We currently transport over 4,000 people per day to and from the site, working 24 hours a day to ensure that construction remains on schedule. Our fleet of over 100 modern buses and coaches use advanced tracking and telematics to ensure we deliver the best possible service for clients and customers. Both our fleet and our team are scheduled to double between 2019 and 2021.

7. billbedford

billbedford Member Friend

retired
    jjp resigned his directorship with somerset passenger solutions two years ago.

8. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

After the Crosville regulatory issues. Nevertheless Companies House shows SPS is still, as it always was, 50% owned by JJP Holdings and the other half by First.

9. D6332found

D6332found Member

It would be a great hobby if it wasn't for the Trainspotters! I've just left a forum good for gen fed up of trolls, bullies & Bont Y Bermos. Perhaps it's something deserving of self reflection and improvement. This is so silly and ruinous to the hobby. Especially at a time like this.

Jim O'Brien and Blackdown Boy like this.
  10. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    What's Barmouth Bridge got to do with it?

35B, Forestpines, Miff and 1 other person like this.
  11. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

Probably Llareggub....:)

12. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is lined with the Trainspotters ? :p

Miff and Matt37401 like this.
  13. D6332found

D6332found Member

It's a derogatory term coined by extremely knowledgable trainspotters about others who just don't reach their knowledge base. The irony is not lost as it probably best describes the name caller- throwing stones in Glasshouses springs to mind....btw it was a Class 37 name- found out thanks Google(which is the world's most knowledgable, and respected Trainspotter.)

14. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Qué?

Tom

M Palmer and Forestpines like this.
  15. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Never heard that before and I don't need google to tell me it was carried by 37427 and 37402.

nine elms fan likes this.
  16. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

A nickname derived from ANY cl 37 name is bad enough. Let alone those ETH ones!

As for Tre, Pol & Pen......

17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Moderators' Message

The WSR is not operating at present so there are few operational matters to be discussed. However, many people continue to talk about the management of the WSR in general and the PLC in particular. This is leading to debate that either directly or indirectly refers to individuals, past and present, and their actions. Some comments are personal and contravene Forum Rules. The worst examples have been removed but there is no sign that this is going to stop anytime soon.

It has therefore been decided to lock this thread and it will be opened again when the railway is operational again. Please do not start any 'alternative' threads to continue the WSR debate as they will be deleted. Do not 'hijack' any remaining threads for that purpose either. If you wish to engage in small group discussions then feel free to set up your own private email groups and, of course, use the formal communication channels with the WSR if you wish to contact them.

18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Moderators' Message

The thread is being re-opened on a trial basis whilst no trains are operating. This is primarily so that messages and general comments can be posted about current and future plans on the Railway by people associated with the Railway and people with useful information. Anything that does not fit this category will be removed.

Normal Forum rules will also be applied and in particular, to any individuals who choose to ignore the above.

19. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    WSRA Trustee and Steam Fayre Chairman Geoff Garfield is expected to be interviewed on BBC Radio Somerset this (Sunday 10th May) evening shortly after 20:50. If you are 'out of area' this can be heard on the web.

Geoff will be speaking about the sad cancellation of the 2020 WSRA August Rally and how folk can support the Railway through Covid-19.

Robin

67F1E691-5F63-4021-B094-B091F83FDD4F.jpeg

20. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    For anyone who missed Geoff yesterday evening you can 'Listen Again' to him being interviewed by BBC Radio Somerset's Luke Knight for the next 29 days. He appears from 3:14 into the programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08bsb3c

malcolm imps likes this.