If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not to mention the suggestion that it's also led to the departure of at least one paid employee...

2. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Any news on why the DMU has recently arrived to the WSR

3. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    The selling of 4110 was a board decision not just a decision taken by the Chairman. I was a member of that board who took the decision. You cannot blame it on the Chairman it was a joint decision taken with the best interests of the railway at heart.

You asked to be co opted onto the board of the WSRA during bidding for the Hinkley fund and Aldfort pushed very hard for you to be co opted. People who had previously worked with you threatened resignations should the vote go in your favor and from your outburst on this site seemed to have been proven right. If you as you say love the WSR then stop this book writing now. If you cant get behind JJP then walk away, offer your services elsewhere the Dean forest or the Avon valley are not that far from west Somerset.

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have found the WSR to be a very friendly railway, with no apparent sign of the bitterness that appears in NP. Full marks to staff, both paid and voluntary, for not letting these tensions spoil the show.

5. mvpeters

mvpeters Member

Retired
    Having its whiskers trimmed?

6. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

So now the truth emerges. I would not have admitted to being one of those who opted to sell the locomotive. Time will tell if the current Chairman is indeed the Messiah so many bow down to.

My thoughts.

7. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Yes only twice. We popped across after seeing the Duchess at Whiteball.

On the plus side we've been able to ride behind a host of superb locomotives this year at Bewdley, Swanage and Toddington. ;) <BJ>

8. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Whatever else one thinks of the saga, as @big.stu rightly points out its not following due process that has given @Andy Norman his 'motivation' for want of a better word to make his story public.

Clearly it would be open to The WSR to give him 'due process' as far as his role as a footplate volunteer is concerned.

9. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

You are factually incorrect. I was encouraged to join the WSRA Board by both the Chairman and the Vice-Chairman as they both thought I could have a positive impact on future fund raising for the WSR as a whole, hence as you say Mike was pushing hard for me to join, that we can agree on. I declined the offer for reasons again best not put into the public domain for fear of disclosing more confidential information regarding individuals (as Bob seemed happy to do earlier in his post on behalf of the WSR PLC).

Re 4110, Its interesting that you say it was a Board decision, that is at odds with what the Chairman told me when we discussed the fact he went back on his promise to sell the 4110 to the internal group if they raised the amount quoted in the time promised (which they did).

There is a common theme here regarding the 'way of doing business' at the WSR. Some people will be seeing that the same names have appeared at the centre of the West Somerset issues for a number of years now, much of which is before my time. #Big Stu's & #MellishR's posts above sums it up better than I ever could.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Landshrew and (deleted member) like this.
  10. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    I'm sorry to say this folks but my twaddle meter is off the scale at the moment. So much uninformed comment

One thing I can say is that it was Andy who decided he could work better outside of the trustee board. It is also true that Andy led on the HPC bid for the railway as he has said.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Andy Norman and Steve like this.
  11. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Are you still a member of that Board?

12. big.stu

big.stu Well-Known Member

Software Engineer
    I understand your frustration, but this appears to be an important issue of trust and integrity within the WSR - either the management acted correctly or they didn't - and right now, there's a lot of information which suggests they didn't, and nothing to suggest they did, and I would find that very worrying indeed if it were my organisation, because it might be me on the end of that next...

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just dropped in on this thread and discovered that, not for the first time, there are discussions taking place about actions by individuals that seem to focus on personnel/management decisions rather than the thread's title.

It's flattering to think that anything said on NP will exert any influence on the grand scheme of things. Why it seems impossible for individuals to get together away from social media and try to understand each other's point of view rather than banging on here about it remains quite a mystery, in my view.

Is it perhaps the local dialect that prevents meaningful discourse and a shared understanding? Maybe Netflix should be approached to film a 'soap' about the line. At least it might help with finances..........

14. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

Suggestion - you could rename this particular thread 'GroundHog Day on the WSR' or maybe a separate thread titled 'Personality Differences in West Somerset'?

Seriously, whether the people working on the WSR are happy & friendly or not, endlessly debating personnel differences on a public forum does nothing but drag the railway down, believe me. Mud sticks.
    I've said it before and will repeat, why is there an appetite to discuss such matters publicly in West Somerset but not covering the plethora of other Heritage Railways we have? Surely people come & go and differences occur, period.
    I will say that if the agenda is to seek revenge or animosity on any individuals past or present, then please, please do it elsewhere as I am in no doubt the WSR needs all the positivity it can grasp.

15. brauntonians

brauntonians New Member

my wife and i have travelled on the wsr a number of times this year and have found the staff there to be friendly and helpful, so if you haven't done so give it try you might be surprise.

16. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

I would say that I've not travelled on WSR (or any other Railways from memory) at any point where I've found staff to be anything but friendly. I'm sure their staff & volunteers would like their railway better presented in a more positive light on this forum however.

17. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Kept away from WSR threads for a couple of years as they just seemed to be self perpetuating, however having read elsewhere of the sorry passing of a contributor I was unwisely lured to dip back in.

What is clear to this outsiders eye is that whilst the names seem to have changed, the underlying issues remain. Frankly previously it ;looked like there would be some hope of change with new personalities, but seems more toxic than ever! :(

jnc, Forestpines, ghost and 1 other person like this.
  18. WSR_6960

WSR_6960 New Member

Messrs Norman and Meanley ... amongst others!

I would normally tend to swerve the frivolities of this forum, but I'm becoming increasingly concerned at your need to bring the internal business of OUR railway to such a public place. It is now clear for all to see that there are on-going issues which need addressing reference Mr Norman's departure but as many members have already alluded, your continued need to snipe at each other in such a public manner is hugely damaging to the railway's reputation and as far as I can see only bringing it further in to disrepute at a time where we are asking for more public support than ever before. I have my own opinions on the situation, of course, but I wouldn't even consider posting them here as I think it would only be further counter productive to the objectives of the railway. You've both said your bit, but please now think on this.

The one thing that you can both agree on is that we want the railway to continue, rebuild where necessary and grow. Step 1 as I, and many others see it, would be to take your disagreements somewhere else less public if you really must persist in tearing a strip off one another and allow the dust to settle on the forum and the 'real world'. Who knows what might happen in the future?

To other forum members I apologise for my 'colleagues' lack of restraint - I feel thoroughly embarrassed for them. I believe that whilst their differences may have developed within the confines of the railway they have become increasingly personal as time has passed and consequently have now spilled out on to this forum. Perhaps this goes some way to explaining and mitigating the WSR's strict policy on social media!!!!

Those of us 'on the ground' are dedicated to running a friendly, professional and safe railway for all to enjoy. Whilst 'we' aren't out of the woods yet as an organisation I can testify that this forum is absolutely not representative of how any visitors will find the railway on a day to day basis, nor those who have expressed an interest in joining us on a more regular basis. The railway is an absolute joy to be around, and we look forward to welcoming you either as visitors or volunteers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  19. Beckford

Beckford Guest

Bravo

20. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Quite agree, the WSR has behaved - it seems in a way that may have left @Andy Norman with a legitimate grievance. It may, also have behaved in a way that may disadvantage other volunteers in future.

From his post about the joy of working on the line, I quite understand why he might feel the way he does.

As I have said already, he could be given 'Due Process' Clearly I have no idea as to what the case or outcome might be but were it not to go his way, at least the Railway would have a robust defence.