If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The exterior condition of the coaches was one of the things that put my non enthusiast wife off.

It is clearly inexcusable that the carriage exteriors were not cleaned at the start of the season.

While its not quite comparing 'like with like' the Ffestiniog/WHR practice of cleaning trains during the layover at Porthmadog is clearly best practice

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I recall a Tripadvisor posting from someone who, hitherto, had been underwhelmed by "heritage" railways. Hence her pleasure at encountering one where as much attention seemed to be given to the insides of the carriages as the outside of the locomotive.

michaelh likes this.
  3. johnofwessex

Paul, was that on the WSR?

4. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    I was very impressed yesterday when I arrived at Minehead at 1600, and before the train set off to return to BL at 1630 a staff member was washing down the carriage windows.

5. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Neither of the lines was the WSR.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
  6. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

But yield management (as I assume Tom was referring to) (to digress and going back about 30 years, American Airlines investment in Amadeus(?), its yield management software, which it could license to third parties, was more valuable than the airline) is surely all about the flexibility to tap into different markets, i.e. not all one thing or the other. So cheaper tickets available with limitations as to train / journey, and full fare tickets for those who appreciate and are prepared to pay for the flexibility. The Ffestiniog offers an early bird ticket but the price differential is marginal, which one would have thought would limit its appeal, but that is where management's knowledge of what works is key. Presumably if the Swanage-Wareham service ever gets off the ground, that will be an example of lower pricing but restriction on train choice? (I have no idea what is being proposed, but presumably they will be nervous about cannibalising "normal" revenue.)

Re the comment upthread about the WHR's limited frequency service working well, I am not sure they have a choice with limited motive power, coaching stock, and the length of run, bearing also in mind they probably do not want to encourage competition with the FR for shorter round trips. (one wonders how serious was the eight train per day timetable submitted to the public enquiry, but they were presumably relying on the likelihood that the opposition was not going to be in a position to challenge it - p78 of Gordon Rushton's book).;)

7. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

It does seem in many instances that as long as the locomotive is well tuned out passengers will fail to notice the cleanliness, or otherwise, of the interior and exteriors of the carriages. I guess the clean locomotive aspect is a result of its crew taking an interest. It is curious that the WSR was closed for almost three months but, apparently, time and labour - presumably voluntary - was not allocated to spruce up the carriages.

8. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

But they do notice and remark on clean interiors in decent order.

9. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Don't disagree that 'yield management' by offering discounted but restricted tickets can appear attractive - the problem is ensuring that both directions of the journey are 'against' the flow - a cheap 'afternoon only return' means the holders are trying to get back on the same trains as those who went out in the morning for the whole day - and these full-price ticket holders may be trying to join at intermediate stations!

The idea of pre-booking all seats appears to remove much flexibility in terms of what the 'offer' is regardless of pricing. From a purely financial point of view, I am sure that it seems appealing to run fewer trains but with every seat pre-sold for a straight round trip - but if you try pre-booking but don't follow that simple model (booking straight round-trips), it gets very complex very quickly! Or perhaps I am missing something!

If that is the sort of way things are going, then I would suggest it may be simpler, more profitable etc. but is it what volunteers, members and wider supporters would be interested in, at least in the same numbers? I would suggest that what you get would be very different from what the larger lines are now - easier to manage perhaps, but losing the character that the lines have built up perhaps?

Steven

michaelh and jnc like this.
  10. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Don't notice, or regard poor cleaning as part of the "authentic" experience? My experience, like others, is that cleanliness is noted positively, and grime brought out in evidence for why something else is a better day out.

11. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

It is said that people do not complain often to railway staff. Maybe they don't want to offend them. Brits have, historically, tended to accept and not complain - but that is changing as far as I can see, especially since social media makes a far easier way to complain.
    In the early 1980's I was responsible for maintenance at a large, privately owned (not Butlins or Pontins) holiday centre. The sole owner (loadsa money!) always walked around dressed like a gardener or workman. His reason was the visitors would tell him what they truthfully felt about the place, whereas looking like the the 'boss' or 'owner' they were much less forthcoming.

12. johnofwessex

OK, if Peaks & MK1's came back to The West Country, then I think I would have dies & gone to heaven, BUT would I want the late 70's/early 80's dirt? My wife certainly would not want it neither would the 'Non Enthusiast' community.

Its interesting that in the late 80's/early 90's it wasnt until the Chief's wife refused to come on long trips on the Waverley that the situation with the toilets was addressed, I suggest that most lines might like to draw the WI or similar in to inspect & report on what they find

13. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

All good points although I suspect "losing the character of the line" has rather universal applicability to most steps to save the WSR from insolvency that one does not happen to agree with!

14. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Indeed! However, what is more important than what you or I feel about any changes is how they may, or of course, may not, affect volunteers' willingness to volunteer. Short term, I am sure much will be accepted as 'necessary medicine' but the longer term effect may be different.

For most lines, members, donors and a very wide range of other funders and supporters are another vital audiences who could be alienated but that probably isn't an issue for the West Somerset as they don't seem to have, or be interested in, large scale external fundraising and the shareholders have already parted with their cash so don't need keeping sweet the same as a membership paying annual fees..........

(And yes, I know I am being controversial!!!)

Steven

15. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Which is the problem suffered by the national network on commuter routes into major cities. There splitting or not splitting train sets comes down to money and additional drivers duties just to tripping stock to or from sidings for the middle of the day.

Cheers, Neil

16. johnofwessex

As @Jamessquared has pointed out in other threads shunting is also a dangerous activity & constantly shuffling the coaches makes keeping the maintenance records up to date much harder

jnc likes this.
  17. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell us what the result of the EGM was, and what resolutions were passed?

Cheers,
    Julian

18. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Are you a shareholder or a member of the WSRA or WSSRT?

Robin

malcolm imps likes this.
  19. I'm not sure the suggestion that WSR carriage interiors are 'ex-BR' is entirely accurate. To the best of my knowledge the whole fleet of Mk1s has been reupholstered, some of them twice, e.g. TSO 4660. The exteriors are a different matter. That significant issue was included on the current plc chairman's wish list for volunteer input during the last winter close period. It is to be assumed that volunteer take-up fell short of the mark in this instance.

malcolm imps, Greenway and 35B like this.
  20. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Agreed, the SVR learnt that and value it, same as the GWSR who may concentrate on Mk1’s but keep in the interiors in good order. Arguably it’s the part a customer has most contact with during their experience.

Sheff, michaelh, gwalkeriow and 2 others like this.