If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wennington to Morecambe and Heysham (via Lancaster)

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Roger Farnworth, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have just finished reading Roy Davies', Wennington to Morecambe and Heysham (via Lancaster) which was published as one of the Middleton Press Albums. The review is below:

https://rogerfarnworth.com/2021/10/10/wennington-to-morecambe-and-heysham-via-lancaster

"Roy Davies has just published (July 2021) an album in the popular Middleton Press series which calls itself the Ultimate Rail Encyclopedia (International). Like many people, I own a number of these volumes which never seem to disappoint.

Roy Davies book focusses on the former Midland line which followed the valley of the River Lune from Wennington to Lancaster and then turned to the Northwest heading for Morecambe and Heysham.

The line was was a pioneer of electrification. The Midland Railway Board decided in 1906 to electrify the Lancaster-Morcambe-Heysham lines which it had acquired on 1st June 1871 when it absorbed the Morecambe Harbour and Railway Company and the 'little' North Western Railway (not to be confused with the 'large' LNWR)."

26D_M likes this.