If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway wagons

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by P Scott, Feb 12, 2018.

1. P Scott

P Scott Member

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could provide a list of the original WLLR wagons and their new numbers under GWR ownership. I also wondered which ones still survive as the WLLR website and the stock book wasn't much help.

Various sources on the internet provide conflicting numbering, as for example nos. 16-18 are listed as open wagons or flat wagons depending on the website!

The only ones I currently know are:
    Brake van 1 - later GWR 8759
    Brake van 2 - later GWR ???
    Van ??? - later GWR 100664
    Van ??? - later GWR 100666
    Open wagon ??? - later GWR 34154
    Open wagon ??? - later GWR 71692
    Open wagon ??? - later GWR 71738

The cattle van 38088 was originally built by GWR for the Vale of Rheidol, some I assume it didn't have a WLLR number.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    According to Glyn Williams' 'Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway':
    W&L Brake Van No1 became GWR 8755
    No2 became GWR 8759 However according to Cartwright & Russell's 'W&LLR' the numbers 1 & 2 are reversed.
    W&L Goods Van No 4 became GWR 100664
    No 6 became GWR 100666
    W&L Open Wagon No 11 became GWR 34154
    No 34 became GWR 71692
    No 42 became GWR 71738 The preserved W&L also had 71794 & 34159 but were dismantled for spare parts in 1971.
    A number of open wagons were converted to sheep wagons by removing the sides/ends and fitting side pockets into which removable slatted sides could be slotted. The slatted sides could be removed making a flat wagon hence the confusion perhaps.
    Hope this helps.
    Ray.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. P Scott

P Scott Member

Many thanks for this information. Do your sources list the numbering of the other wagons that didn't survive into preservation?

It might be a long shot, but I've also been trying to work out the original and GWR identities of the surviving VoR wagons - these are now numbered 20-30. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.