If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Welsh Marches Express' : 04/05/19

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, May 2, 2019.

1. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Timings are now available for the Saphos 'Welsh Marches Express' railtour from Crewe to Cardiff on Saturday, 4th May. <BJ>

Outbound: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10798/2019/05/04/advanced
    Return: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10803/2019/05/04/advanced

2. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Have it on good authority that Braunton is the motive power.

free2grice likes this.
  3. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Hope it’s DL free

4. free2grice

5. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

34052 through Wrenbury within a minute or so of right time, no diesel on the back.

James

KristianGWR likes this.
  6. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Is it load 10??

7. Herefordian

Herefordian New Member

Forgive me for being a rookie, but does that LSL light engine mean steam or diesel?

8. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Wouldn't know there was a steam loco on front from Coach E. Not on milepost side. Timing off GPS odometer.

9. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Load 11, sounding very well on the climb through Bayston Hill. 34052 Lord Dowding At Bayston Hill (2019).jpg

Lym Flyer, Spamcan81, Johnb and 10 others like this.
  10. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Just a couple of shots south of Shrewsbury !

11. PamW

PamW New Member

Passing Wrenbury this morning. Going well but a tad windy! forum-4.jpg

Davo, John Merry, LMarsh1987 and 6 others like this.
  12. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

I recognise that view...!

[​IMG]
    <waves a belated hello>

Was on my own for the return trip though:
    [​IMG]

GOEdwards, CLN_WVR and Spitfire like this.
  13. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Like that. So that's what it sounded like!! From 9 back, inside Coffin E, as far as locomotive sound was concerned, the old S&G song, 'The Sound of Silence' came to mind.

14. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

To continue the Paul Simon references here's Braunton 'Slip Slidin' Away' from Hereford on Saturday morning fullsizeoutput_13a2.jpeg

GOEdwards, 26D_M and CLN_WVR like this.
  15. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Outward leg on the approach to Llanvihangel summit.
    [​IMG]

Return at Craven Arms.
    [​IMG]

eggbert, BR 73082, GOEdwards and 11 others like this.
  16. free2grice

I was filming just below you. It was very fortunate that the cloud cleared shortly before the train appeared. :)

My luck ran out for the return at Abergavenny. The only cloud in the sky, it must have been the size of a football, passed over the sun just at the wrong moment.
    Does that sound familiar anyone? We can't win 'em all. <BJ>

17. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Think this might be a first.

Welsh Marches Express 4th May 2019

I'm writing this from my padded cell overlooking Abergavenny where I was taken to last night after travelling on a Saphos Classic Steam Experience train on Saturday. My plea that it was only because we were celebrating Mrs S's 70th Birthday was to no avail as it was pointed out that there were 2 other steam hauled trains out yesterday. 'But they were on the North Wales Coast' I countered 'and who in their right mind wants to go to Holyhead or Llandudno when a both ways run over the Welsh Marches beckoned? Add to that the VT train had a diesel on the back'. I felt the anaesthetic take effect and then woke to find it was all a dream. Well the padded cell bit anyway...

So to our day. Some 70th birthday treat some would say. Up at 0415 to have breakfast and feed the cat and get out on the road at 0510. So many speed restrictions and a 2 1/4 drive to Crewe Weston Road Car Park. Bacon roll and a coffee later and the seemingly now standard 11 coach Saphos Train awaited on Platform 12. Fairly weighty train with the MK1 Generator Car, MK1 POB, Mk1 Kitchen/Club Car, 3*Mk1 Dining Cars as well as the 5 MK2s; got to be close to 400 tons plus passengers. Can't fault the look of it. Puts Riviera and West Coast to shame, both internally and externally. Spotless interior, clean windows and refurbished seats with high quality materials. Said hello to old friends Fred Lewis and Tommy Rees, then wandered up front. Braunton looked superb though still running as 34052 Lord Dowding. Don't like that and hope 34046 and nameplates reappear soon. Our seats were in Coffin E and not on the milepost side. I like firm seats but the headrest was low and a little uncomfortable between the shoulder blades.

We just about heard a distant hooter and commenced our journey to Cardiff, accompanied only by the drone of the air Conditioning, and the hissing of sliding doors. The Hissing of Summer Lawns came to mind for some odd reason!! How irritating are they? I was expecting to hear the Heart of Gold's computer's 'female' voice chirping 'Glad to be of service' every time they opened and closed, which was often due to the excellent catering folk bringing us teas, coffees, muffins and orders from the buffet, as well as fellow passengers including us wandering around and using the Buffet Car and conveniences.

We had a four to ourselves due to no-shows so that was a bonus. For me though, no mileposts and higher windows so couldn't even see mileposts 'across the four foot' so I asked the long suffering Mrs S to stand now and again to find me reference mileposts to synchronise the Trip Odometer on the GPS. The milepost sequences change at Shrewsbury, Sutton Bridge, Rotherwas Jn, and Maindee West near Newport enroute. Typically the odometer readings rarely synchronised with round numbers. Worse that picking out mileposts looking for figures like x.48, x.73, x.98 and x.23 and not easy x.25, x.5, x.75 and x.00. Such fun!!

We like Braunton and from Royal Duchys and many other trains know that on a good day 34046 is a real good 'un. The path seemed good as we were 15 behind the Carmarthen. It's not totally flat on the way down to the first pickup at Whitchurch. A good deathly quiet start(!) start and 39 past Gresty Green Sidings. We passed the end of electrification at 43 and got to 50 at mp2 before the brakes flicked on presumably for Gresty Crossing. There are other crossings around and a couple more gentle brake applications kept speed in the mid to high 40s. We passed Nantwich at 52 and lost just over 5 mph on the mile and a bit of 1in97 to the overbridge on the Shropshire Union Canal. Then a bit of climbing up a mile of 1in158, 50 on, 51 off; then a mile of 1in184, left at 53. More gentle climbing over a mile and a half at 1in230, on at 59, off at 59, led to a bit of fun through Marley Green and on to mp12. We met the mile of 1in110 at 59.1 and left it at 55.3. this is followed by 3/4 mile of 1in107, left at 52.7, before an easing to 3/4 mile of 1in115 that we left at 51. Very decent running. Probably quite noisy, but who knew...

So after our Whitchurch pickup Fred picked speed up to a max of 69 at Prees, all downgrade and level track. Nothing significant gradient wise. We passed Wem at 60, crossing gates not holding us up, and a mile or so later accelerated up a short 1in270/758 to 65, falling back to 63 over a mile of 1in208 approaching Yorton. Then it was all downgrade into Shrewsbury for our final pickup. We heard a distant hooter and we set off for Hereford, past the Severn Bridge Jn Signal box and over English Bridge to Sutton Bridge Jn Box on a bit of 1in132, passed at 30. There's a climb away of almost 2 miles of 1in127 up which Braunton accelerated to 36+ with what felt like one short slip. So off to mp4 where the climb to Church Stretton some 8 1/2 miles away starts. We passed the mp at 47.2 and accelerated up the 3/4 mile of 1in134, left at 49. Speed picked up to 53.4 down 3/4 mile of 1in279. A short bit of 1in130, 53.7, led to 1 1/2 miles of 1in562 with Dorrington at the mid-point. We passed the box at 57 and left the section at that speed. The next 1/2 a mile of 1in105 saw a fall to 54.8; then almost a mile of 1in90 took us back to 48.5.

Up 1/2 mile + of 1in117 left at 47.6, then onto the 3 miles of 1in100. Over this section our speed held well and only fell over the last 1/4 to 44.6. the gradient eased to 1in252 over the final 1 1/4 miles to the summit. We roared through Church Stretton Station at 52 and passed the summit at the old Halt at 51.7 after 18m 41s from our Shrewsbury Departure. Not a bad time or speed. Boringly downgrade with nice scenery down to Craven Arms. We crossed Marshbrook LC at 69.2 but braked quite hard on the run down to CA. Could only have been due to Crossings as we were 15 behind the Carmarthen. We ran through CA at 56 and got to 75 down the 1in112 2 miles later. Onibury was crossed at 72.5 and Bromfield at 73. You can see Dinmore Hill rising up in the distance and there is a bit of a climb up to the tunnel, a mile of 1in300, left at 61.5, and 1/2 mile of 1in264, also left at 61.5. Then we trundled down to cross Moreton-on-Lugg at 71 before braking to 35 on Shelwick Junction approach to drift down into Hereford where we parked up on the DRL to water Braunton and wait for a the Manchester-Milford Haven service to pass. We were 25 minutes behind it so assured of a clear run to Maindee West near Newport.

We left RT and after Rotherwas Jn where Mrs S spotted the milepost I needed, we climbed the bank to Red Hill Tunnel. Mixed gradients; started the 1/2 mile of 1in220 at the junction at 39.8, left it at 42.3; left the 1/2 mile of 1in287at 44.2; the 1/2 mile of 1in143 at 44; then the steepest bit, 3/4 of a mile of 1in92, left at 39.2, onto the mile of 1in104 to enter the short tunnel at 37.6. a very good climb with an almost green fire. Miles of downgrade and level track through gorgeous countryside peppered with hills towards Llanvihangel Bank then. We crossed Tram Inn at 61; passed St Devereux at 71 and Pontrilas SB at 62. A mile or so later we hit the start of the bank at mp12 3/4. First there is 3/4 mile of 1in216, started at 66.4, left at 63.9. next is a mile+ of 1in170 where speed fell to 60.4. a bit of 1in200d saw a rise to 61.4 and then we hit the 3/4 mile of 1in100, left at 27.2. then the steepest bit, the 1/2 mile of 1in99 saw speed fall further to 53.1. this led to 1 1/4 miles of 1in100 into the cutting to the summit, left at 47.5. The half mile of 1in512 to the summit saw a further slight fall to a minimum of 45.9. Not shabby but we did better in 2014 with 11 up on RTC's Welsh Borders.

Down the steep side to pass through Abergavenny Station at 75.5; past the old Penpergwm Station at 73.5, then we took 73 onto the mile and a half of 1in80 through Nantyderry. Mid point was passed at 56, with a fall to 55.2. after 1/2 mile of 416d, left at 58.8, we gave 4 mph to the mile of 1in119. Down passed Little Mill SB, 6+4.6, 1/4 mile into 2 miles of 1in104, left at 40 to Pontypool and New Inn, 40 on the curve, a sad sight these days, then it's pretty much all downhill to Maindee West Jn. We passed Cwmbran at 73; Ponthir at 68, braked through Caerleon, 54, trundled across the Usk River Bridge at 32 and were held for 5 minutes between Maindee North and West Jns. We passed through Newport with the 'orrible 'new' station building and heavy catenary to dive into Old Tunnel and trundle on the relief, with an exciting max of 60. Must have been a bit noisy climbing the 1i2 mile of 1in47 as we did hear something 9 back before we came to rest in platform 8 at Cardiff Central at 1230. Good run down the Marches with the Southerner.

We went to find John in the car park as he was taking us to Milliways, the Restaurant at the end of the Universe, relocated to the ground floor of the Old Custom House on Penarth Marina for a 70th birthday lunch for Mrs S. Unfortunately Judith, his partner, couldn't join us due to a prior granddaughter sitting commitment. We had a drink outside in the bracing wind overlooking the harbour before going to find out table. What a great place. Go there if you want some posh nosh!. The food is laid out near the kitchen and you can choose your steak, fish etc. and have them prepared the way you want. Mrs S had the most boring meal, though it was a splendid lasagne mountain! John chose a beautifully matured sirloin steak, maroon in colour, while I had seared king scallops with my salad started, followed by the biggest John Dory I'd ever seen 'on the bone'. Weirdly the restaurant didn't have fish knives and it ain't easy eating a John Dort with a steak knife!! We had a bottle of Adam Scott New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc with, a very decent drink. The food had been prepared beautifully. Tastiest John Dory I've eaten. John's steak was superb too - tried a bit and he rather liked the John Dory.

All Things Must Pass, good ones all too quickly, and so it was back to the station in time for John to drop us off and then head off home to Panteg in time to get to the 'black bridge' to watch the train on the climb to Pontypool Road.

Homeward Bound we were 4 back and off the 'up London' Platform 2, but were unceremoniously despatched to the relief at Long Dyke. The reason was to affect us later on - to let the Carmarthen to Manchester Piccadilly Service pass us. Trundle, trundle, yawn, yawn, and a max of 62 at Marshfield. Through Newport at 25 - only 3 1/2 minutes behind the Manchester. Trouble with a capital T as it was stopping at Cwmbran and Abergavenny. As poor a path as the outward was good. We crawled through Maindee West at 23; crossed the river Usk at just over 30 and then had greens. Nothing steep but a few miles of 1in550, left at 43, followed by 3/4 mile of 1in122, left at 46, to Caerleon. We picked up to 56 on the downgrades and passed Ponthir at 55 at the start of 1 1/2 miles of 1in120. The unit must be having a good day I thought until the brakes flicked on 1/2 mile in. Annoying to say the least as speed fell to 19 and lower still to 13 as we hit the 2 miles of 1in106.

Braunton is a Bulleid Pacific so of course we were Slip Sliding Away a few times despite the dry rails. We'd dropped from an encouraging 23 back to 21. We passed through Cwmbran Station at only 27 and slipped again but it was well held up front. We saw John with his dogs, Ollie, the Labradoodle, and Ruby the Boxer, on the black bridge but neither seemed that interested in the train!! Our speed stayed around 27 onto the awkward 2 1/4 miles of 1in95 up to Pontypool Road. However, Braunton responded really well and with skilful handling by a mile in had picked up to 30.6. We 29/30 for the remainder of the climb, then got to 40 on the easing 1in358 through Pontypool Road. Now for the dash to Abergavenny - but the brakes came and we were held at Little Mill. The Manchester Service was 10 ahead but it's about an 8 mile block to Abergavenny where it was due to stop.

Ho hum. The bobby gave it a minute before letting us pass, hopefully well enough behind to have the uninterrupted run we needed to tackle Llanvihangel Bank straight off the end of Abergavenny Platform. No fireworks up the mile of 1in141, and then down to Nantyderry, 46. By then we could hear a 'Distant sound of Thunder' - well of a chatter - as greens and semaphores off must have been showing. Braunton was wound up for the work to come and picked up to 75 by the end of the 1 1/2 miles down the 1in80. It levels off and climbs for a short section at 1in100 to Penpergwm, 66.5, before the climb to Abergavenny. It's 3/4 mile of 1in154, left at 62.3; 3/4 mile of 1in181, left at 60.2; followed by 3/4 mile of 1in153, left at 59.7. We took that through the station past mp22 3/4, easy to see as someone, me, had removed the detritus around it a while ago. We were now a safe 10 behind the Manchester and where the line ramped up rapidly onto half a mile of 1in85. We carried 59 off it onto the 1 3/4 miles at 1in82. We could hear a muffled chatter from up front as Braunton took the steep part of the bank on. Quarter speeds were: 56.8; 55.4; 54.5; 52.3; 51.6; and 50.5. a bit special. That took us onto the final 1 1/2 miles of 1in95 to the summit. The quarter speeds were: 48.5; 48; 47.6; 47.2; 46.7; 46.1; and finally 44.4 at the summit. Some climb for a Class 7 Pacific. Wish we'd been able to hear it properly. Southern Man missed a treat in terms of performance.

So down the bank in the high 60s/low 70s, max 73.3, before firm braking before Pontrilas, 53, not due to the Manchester that 15 ahead of us. A 6 mile block to Tram Inn now with a max of 68 through St Devereux. Nothing exciting before we trundled through Hereford Station to stop under the road bridge. A tanker was waiting in the yard. The hose was over the main so it was essential Braunton's tender was filled quickly as we only had a 14 minute leeway before the Holyhead Service Train. Mission accomplished though the gentleman opposite said they were very slow and didn't know what they were doing. 'It would be quicker to fill it using buckets' was his view.

So what was next. Oh yes, the race to Dinmore Tunnel. Done many times and there's an unofficial target of into the tunnel at 60 for crews. After one false start we got away and took it gentle around the sweeping right hander on gentle gradients, 1/2 a mile + of 1in184/145/460 and half a mile of 1in142. We got to 29 and picked up over close to 2 miles on the level/394/162d to hit the gentle 3 3/4 mile of 1in1100 before the short 1in200 and a mile of 1in100 to the tunnel. Speed rose to 65 across Moreton-on-Lugg a mile and a half in and to just under 70 as we hit the 1in200. We lost a bit of speed to 68.4 and then it fell away a bit to enter the tunnel at 56. The gradient continues through the mile and a quarter long tunnel and we burst out into the sunlight at 54.

Down or gentle gradients to Leominster with a max of 73 at mp40, a speed more or less held for the next 5 miles until the brakes came on twice, the second time quite hard as we slowed rapidly to 18 on Woofferton approach. Not sure why as the Manchester was 15 ahead. We didn't come to a stand and using the 372d and level got to 50 before the 3/4 mile of 1in112. We left it at 50 onto 3/4 mile of 1in134 where speed only fell to 48. A couple of short 1in220 didn't slow us down and we dashed through Ludlow at 56.5. up front they used the downgrade/level mile to start the climb to Craven Arms at 62.5. 3/4 of a mile of 1in160 actually saw a bit of an increase in speed and we held 63 over Bromfield and past mp25. No idea why the brakes came on but we lost 7 mph on the mile of 1in870.

Over the 3/4 mile of 1in420, Braunton powered on to start the mile of 1in286 over Onibury at 55, leaving it at 56.4. Seriously encouraging and we just wished we could hear more from the front. Onto the mile and a half of 1in112 where speed dropped to 50 as Stokesay Castle came into view. Bit of downgrade and 55 on the 1in406 as we roared through Craven Arms. Then the brakes kicked in and speed fell to 36 as we hit the bottom of the easier side of Stretton Bank. Only 35.4 off the 1in105. The crew used the bit of level and mile of mixed 1in164/180 to get back to 43 and then to 47 down 1/2 mile of 1in125. The 1/4 of 1in110 lost us nothing.

The next 1/2 mile of 1in278 saw us drop to 45.4 across Marshbrook and that took us onto the steepest part of the climb, 2 miles of 1in112. We had no momentum really and it wasn't surprising that our speed fell. A mile in we were doing well at 41, but the final mile took its toll, the quarters being: 39; 36.7; 34.9 and 32.2. Braunton rallied a little over the final 1/4 mile+ of 1in150 to a summit speed of 32.7. Under the circumstances about as good as could be expected late in the day.

To the crew's relief it was downgrade virtually all the way to Shrewsbury. We got to 73 on the 1in100d before the brakes checked our speed, then again the brakes pulled us back to 53 on the 1in90d. We drifted down past Dorrington at 53 and maxed at 58 before easing into Shrewsbury a few minutes early to set down passengers. Nice climb away from Shrewsbury after mp31 1/2; a mile of 1in124 to Harlescott LC, crossed at 38; half a mile of level where speed increased to 44, then a mile and a half of 1in117 where we picked up slightly to 45. Undulating then with a nice mile+ of 1in167 met at 65. We sped past Yorton, mid way at 61and only dropped to 59.4. after the set down at the crew up front were still enjoying their run and we got to a max of 72downgrade at Marley Green. Speed was held around 70 down the 1in184/158, then braked to 60 down the 1in97 towards Nantwich, passed on the 1in323 at 57. Braunton cruised up the final bit of opposition, the mile+ of 1in172 where speed fell to 51 3 miles out. We arrived in Platform 12 at Crewe 4 early.

No time to wander up the front to see who'd been crewing as we had a 2 hour+ drive home. We got in at 2310 after a superb day celebrating Mrs S' 70th

An excellent day performance wise extracted from Braunton by Fred and whoever else was driving and firing all day. I had thought long and hard about travelling with Saphos and would be lying if I said I enjoyed the Mark 2E. They are deservedly nicknamed Coffins, though the latter are way more peaceful apparently, as they aren't subject to noisy Air Conditioning and hissing doors.

The on board staff were friendly and helpful. When the Train Manager(?) came through late on the return run she didn't respond negatively when we were asked how we'd enjoyed the day and replied that it was a real shame we heard so little of the locomotive. It was as Braunton made a lot of it by the performance. It's a different steam experience and one that I hoped to avoid ... but how can I? I'm an enthusiast through and through, and look at the fleet of locomotives LSL have and will have at their disposal in the future. The routes Saphos are running are tempting to say the least, and apart from the Mk2Es it's a proper train now that the Class 47 stays at home.

One last comment about the Mk2E carriage. Even well upholstered seats are nothing like as comfortable as those in Mk1s; and the higher windows ain't the best even if one is on the milepost side. But that only affects a small minority of us and the GPS' Trip Odometer proved to be very accurate. The biggest drawback is not being able have open windows to listen to a steam locomotive working hard; but we do have you guys out there with your video cameras to provide us with quality recording of the 'best bits' of the day.

So thanks to everyone at Saphos for running the train; to DB for their input; to LSL for the magnificent Braunton; and to Network Rail for good regulation for most of the day. All we really lost was a full blooded attack on the bank to Pontypool Road.

Hopefully more Mk1s will be introduced into the rake this year; but if they aren't, on balance, the current draw of such good locomotives as Braunton, the Brit, the Scot and Black Five hauling proper trains over challenging routes outweighs the downside of travelling in Mk2Es.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Lym Flyer, PaulB, eggbert and 11 others like this.
  18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some posts removed for review - lets keep it friendly please.

19. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Thanks for the report @1020 Shireman . One question and a couple of comments.

I appreciate that you were dining out at the time on the most delicious fish in the sea IMHO, but do you know how the shunt move at Cardiff was accomplished? I thought that even if their general policy was 'unassisted', they might have to take a diesel for that purpose.

I think seat quality is very dependent on ones height and back condition. For me the seats in the Saphos first class Mk 2s are among the best. I am certainly not looking forward to the IEPs judging from your other posts!

You were timing the train and were with your Mrs. That makes a difference. I found the best thing to do to hear the loco on the climbs was to walk down to the buffet and stand by an open window. There was no problem with that. But I do agree that if they can turn out a full rake of refurbished Mk 1s, that will be better. I think they do set the standard, although the train WCR turned out for the GB XII was also pretty smart.

Looking forward to the Lakelander, although for fine dining I don't think Carlisle can match Cardiff.

20. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    The train went down into Cardiff Canton Sidings where Braunton was serviced. it was detached and went tender first through Cardiff Central and used Maindee Triangle east of Newport to turn. Then Braunton returned to drop on the front and haul the train into Central.

These were the moves on RTT:
    Station to Cardiff Canton Sidings:
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10799/2019/05/04/advanced
    Locomotive turn:
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10800/2019/05/04/advanced
    Train into Central:
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10802/2019/05/04/advanced