If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welsh Borders 4th May

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by D1059, Apr 19, 2013.

1. D1059

D1059 Member

Bristol - Bristol via Oxford, Evesham, Worcester, Hereford, Abergavenny, Chepstow, Goucester

Interesting route, especially as it will probably come up the GWML with the light in the right direction and is one of the last chances for a pic of steam on the GWML for some time (Cheltenham Flyer excepted). Its still down on UKSteam as 34046 - is this realistic ? If not, what else is it likely to be ?

Thanks
    STEVE

2. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

And it's via Sapperton outward...

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

34067 seems to be the only weapon in WCRC's locker down south so far this year...

4. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

And it'll end up at Cardiff after the GB VI...

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I was anticipating 34067, but if this was the case, I would have thought that with no rostered work for a while after Sunday's stint on the GB VI from Bristol to Cardiff that if it was the scheduled motive power for the Welsh Borderer it would have headed back to Bristol, but instead it's running E&C all the way back to Southall next Monday UKsteam.info - UK mainline steam loco movements 2013 (see Monday 22nd April entry) Still, maybe there's a reason for this. Being a "southern" man in exile, I'd like to see 34067 in Gloucestershire. OK she did work the Cotswold Venturer last month, but the weather was pretty horrible, so I stayed at home.

6. david1984

Actually thinking more about this route, there's two potential issues I'm unsure how you get around.

1. If Bifur's routing is correct, how do you access Sapperton heading south east from Bristol ?, it's a north facing chord at Standish, could reverse and turn the loco at Gloucester, but won't get that done in under an hour.

2. Isn't there currently a restriction on steam through the tunnels between Worcester & Hereford or have I imagined that ?.

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

1. Train goes to Gloucester where loco is turned.
    2. There was a restriction notr sure if it still applies.Last year the Royal Train went via Shrewsbury when travelling from Hereford to Worcester.

8. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

It's definitely via Sapperton, it's on the RYTC website. Apparently the restriction between Worcester and Hereford has been lifted. And it turns at Gloucester.

9. D1059

D1059 Member

Much as I like 34067 (always good for clag), Tornado (fantastic in blue), and 5043 (wonderful noise) it would be nice to see some of the other traction available down here in the south - love to see 46115 round here

STEVE

10. david1984

Excellent, quite a pleasant run through the Malverns.

11. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Well, it'd better have been lifted... It'd be a bit hard otherwise to run any trip at all!

12. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Was hoping for a bit more mileage behind 34067 in any event, so looking promising speaking as a Southern man both born and still dwelling in the wrong part of the country. Hopefully, there will have been a splash of rain around, too.

13. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Too bad you missed 46115 on 9 July 2010, Kenny-O to Yeovil Jc. and Weymouth to Waterloo. It was a good run to the west, and still one of the only trips 46115 has done in the south since restoration. 30777 was out that day, too.

14. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    yeah I think I was down Dorchester when I saw the scot, but it definetly needs to come south, as does the duchess again

15. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    UKSteamInfo has been updated with 34067 now listed as the loco to haul this trip. Quite happy about this, as I'm looking for extra mileage behind this machine.

16. D1059

D1059 Member

That'll be 3 on the trot with Tangers (ACE, GB VI and this one) - don't think its doing anything betwen now and 4th May, so lets hope its given a lot of TLC to recover from its exertions.

Now I can't decide between Sapperton and the GWML :)

17. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Well, you have a fair old choice for a bit of clag: Filton Bank, Sapperton, GWML, Moreton-in-Marsh, Llanvihangel, not to mention the scenic shots around the Severn Estuary.

18. D1059

D1059 Member

I suspect the train will be timed to take the usual late morning path down the Cotswold line that other tours have used. If the sun is out, it will be straight down the gullet all the way from Shipton under Wychwood to more or less Honeybourne severley limiting photo opportunities including Moreton-in-Marsh

It should be possible to shoot at Sapperton or between Swindon and Didcot, then move to the Coombe or Chilson areas before motoring over to Llanvihangel depending on timings

19. John Petley

....and the climb up to Colwall tunnel: 5 miles of uphill including a final 2-mile stretch at 1 in 80.

20. John Petley

Does anyone know if this train actually gong to run? It's only four days away, and there's no mention of any timings yet on UK Steam info, nor any details of a LE move to Bristol by 34067. The page on the RTC website has not been updated for while, which still lists 34046 as the motive power.