If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Weardale Railway reconnection to the national network - visible progess

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by pinkpanther, Sep 4, 2009.

1. pinkpanther

pinkpanther New Member

Software Engineer
    According to http://www.weardale-railway.org.uk/snippets_main.htm:

"As the photographs below show the Weardale Railway is now reconnected to the main Network at Bishop Auckland. The turnout is now completed, all that remains is to complete the circuit testing between the turnout and Shildon signal box. This work is expected to be complete within the next two weeks."

I grew up alongside that line (just down the road from Latherbrush bridge, in fact) so I'm really glad to see this happen. Of course, it will be quite a while before there are any regular services between the Weardale line and the national network, but this is undoubtedly a big step forward.

I wonder how long it will be before the first mainline railtour to Eastgate? Whenever it is I hope to be on it. :D

2. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hard to think that a few years ago the line was in administration and had no working steam locomotives and seemed doomed. A great achievement by the new owners and volunteers. Shame I have no means to go up there.

3. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Better get the turntable fund started then :D

4. pinkpanther

pinkpanther New Member

Software Engineer
    It most certainly is. The last time I visited Bishop three years ago I didn't even know the line had closed, much less been sold, collapsed and sold again (I'm a little more in touch with things now, though!). Here's hoping they can keep the momentum up and grow the line to fulfill its true potential.

That's planning ahead some, for sure. Somehow I suspect a temporary station at Bishop might be higher up the priority list thought. ;)

5. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    UK Railtours are going there on 19th February for £49.50 from KX.
    http://www.ukrailtours.com/tourshow...00219_LOCOMOTION_AND_THE_WEARDALE_RAILWAY.txt

"Departure is from London King's Cross, Potters Bar (for M25), Stevenage and Peterborough, travelling via Darlington to Shildon for a break of around an hour and a half at Shildon to visit 'Locomotion' which is a short level walk from the station. We then continue via the restored link at Bishop Auckland to the Weardale Railway. There will be a leg-stretching stop at revived Stanhope (left) before the return journey".

6. pinkpanther

pinkpanther New Member

Software Engineer
  7. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This looks like a 'must do'. I recall in 1978 a dmu trip from Darlington to Eastgate; think it was two quid!

John

8. pinkpanther

pinkpanther New Member

Software Engineer
    I never got around to taking that trip back then - more's the pity.

Oh well - shame the Weardale don't have any 101s up there...

9. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

The G5 will be welcome. Also, how about another K1 trip a la the "3 Dales" soon?

10. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Wait a minute... this line is on the verge on setting up an 18 mile railway line !
    It's coming from zero to the big league in a very short time !

12. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Having looked at the latest website version, I'm quite impressed. Previously, you could read a lot of out-of-date statements, several of which set deadlines that were, in the event, missed. Now there's a diary of what has recently happened, what problems have been solved (like hiring a class 73 that works properly, instead of flogging their nearly-dead horse no. 40) and sensible decisions that have been taken.

The re-connection was completed only a month late, also a hopeful sign.
    Their assets are obviously that new connection, the long line, and some very well restored stations.

But there are still a few open questions.
    Is their relationship with NR good enough for them to co-use the (small) platform at Bishop Auckland with a dovetailing timetable?
    How good is their relationship with Shildon NRM? Could it one day blossom into their being Shildon's running line? (let me just say, Green Arrow) ?
    Is there a platform (e.g. Stanhope) that can receive specials off the main line with 8-10 coaches on?
    What's the state of the track and signalling between stations? Could they run a gala, or just a single train shuttling up and down the line?
    Will their income finally exceed their expenditure in this, their 3rd incarnation? i.e. ...
    ...will the owner's plan to run mineral freight trains happen, as this would provide their bread and butter?
    ...or if not, will they be able to get at least 40,000 visitors a year, by hugely increasing their profile in the North-East and along the cities of the ECML? (the proposed special from KX is certainly a good start)

13. pinkpanther

pinkpanther New Member

Software Engineer
    We're booked already. :)

Given that it's in February, I hope the coaches are well heated...