If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Waverley Route Heritage Association - Progress?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Sheff, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just wondering what the state of play is at Whitrope these days - was quite surprised that a search of NP revealed very little. There's a website/blog but much of the news seems to relate to NR's rebuilding at the northern end. http://waverleyrouteha.wordpress.com/

Anyone on here involved?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    I visited there on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday (well it's a Bank Holiday in England anyway). They had about 3 or 4 MK3 coaches, one of which was parked at the platform as a Buffet, a (genuinely interesting) display in another MK3 at the platform and were running short trips on a pacer style railcar. The site was neat and tidy and there seemed to be a core of 5 or 6 guys who were making it all work.

That said, (and I hope I don't seem unkind) it's about 10 miles South of Hawick (the nearest town of any size) and about 10 miles north of Newcastleton (the nearest village of any real size). I suspect that one reason for their choice of site was the width of the Pway (there was a siding here in Waverley days) but also that it is one point where the only main road anywhere near passes right alongside the site.

10 out of 10 for their efforts and dreams but it is awfully remote.

3. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

It will never be another Bo'ness, but it's a really lovely spot to spend an hour or so, and the drive through Liddesdale to get there is worth it in itself. Given how remote they are and how few people are involved, what they have achieved is remarkable.

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Ah, that picturesque jewel of the Forth, there could never be another :D

Bramblewick likes this.