If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Watford Met station - the future?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by PortRoadFan, Oct 1, 2013.

1. PortRoadFan

PortRoadFan New Member

Reviving an idea mentioned by another reader in Heritage Railway a few years ago.

He wrote a letter to the magazine concerning the future of Watford Met station in North London, which will be bypassed and closed if the planned extension of that LU line to Watford Junction is built. This plan now seems to be close to approval, depending on the outcome of a public enquiry and the willingness of the relevant local authorities to come-up with their share of the cost. It is envisaged that the extension could open in 2016 (according to Modern Railways, January 2013 issue).

What then could this mean for the existing Watford Met terminus station, and the short length of line across the canal viaduct? The letter author's suggestion was to turn it into heritage railway site for London. Personally, I feel he is right and the rare opportunity which Watford Met station's closure will present for that should not be ignored. Especially, if both TfL and the Covent Garden museum could be involved, perhaps using the site - if equipped with suitable covered accommodation - to display the heritage stock currently stored at Neasden (?). The track across the viaduct and up to the re-routed LU line could be used for short heritage train rides, with a physical link to allow heritage stock to access the LU network for special events.

Could Watford Met be used in this way, or would land values thwart such a scheme?

Chris

2. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

3. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The line towards the Met terminus will be used to some extent for stock storage.

See http://www.croxleyraillink.com/Default.htm for much detail of the agreed plans for this work, which, by the way has already started. I visit the Ascot Road area regularly and significant clearance and borehole testing is well under way - using road/rail vehicles running on the one single remaining track!

4. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

I know from personal information that the existing station will be used as a depot for overnight storage of stock.

The actual station building is grade II listed, not sure what they're going to do with this. The best option for its future preservation might be to sympathetically convert it to private flats.

The line itself is too short for preservation use with no prospect of extension, and situating a heavy engineering depot near to people's houses is never a good idea due to noise and airborne particle issues.