If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Water Troughs

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by 8B Dallam, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 8B Dallam

8B Dallam New Member

Licenced Aircraft Engineer
    My grandfather, who joined the LNWR as a cleaner in 1917, told me the tale of once when he was travelling as a passenger towards the front of a steam hauled train he got up and closed the ventilation windows as the train was approaching some troughs, explaning why he was doing it to the other passenger in the compartment. This passenger then got up and opened them again and very shortly afterwards got covered in water duringthe pick up!

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If you can get hold of a copy of BTF's 'The Elizabethen Express' there is a superb shot of the A4 60017 'Silver Fox' picking up at troughs. They did it by pacing the A4 from an adjacent track with the camera mounted on a flat wagon being propelled by an 0-6-0 freight loco IIRC.

3. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  4. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

Is there anywhere in the UK (preserved obviously!) that has operable water troughs? I guess you would need for them to be operating at about 50mph which of course reduces the places that could have them, but it would be fascinating to see it done for real, as opposed on film.

5. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
  6. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

nope and unlikey ever to be built.

how would anyone see them in operation and who would pay to see them in operation?

7. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

Well thats true, although I can imagine many preserved lines make much money out of freight operations either. I just wondered if it have ever occured to the Great central to put some in. They presumably are the only place in the country where you could run steam locomotives fast enough to make the system work.

As for seeing them in operation, thats a fair point. You couldnt plonk them down in the middle of a station for obvious reasons....

8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Alas, this is a common tale told by many a person although it undoubtedly has happened on occasion.
    It is unlikely to happen anywhere unless a rich benefactor comes along and puts up the money as troughs would serve no useful purpose on a heritage railway. You need a sufficiently long length of level track and you also need locos equipped to pick up water. Most (but not all) have had the equipment removed and some have had the tenders sufficiently modified to take advantage of the removal and increase capacity. You don't need to be doing 50mph to pick up water, though. It works well enough at 25mph.

9. chopshopjohn

chopshopjohn New Member

Retired
    It is extremely unlikely to happen for the following reasons.

1. Many preserved lines, including the Great Central, do not have level track in a suitable place.

2. There is not only the cost of installing the troughs to consider. There is the cost of providing and maintaining a suitable water supply also the increased track maintenance cost.

3. I believe most railways these days use some form of water treatment to prolong boiler life. Do you fill the trough with raw water and undermine this good work or fill the trough with relatively expensive treated water and have some of it go to waste?

10. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    fen bog after a heavy downfall

11. 8B Dallam

8B Dallam New Member

Licenced Aircraft Engineer
    As my grandfather was a driver, I am inclined to believe him

12. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    No problems with that. All I'm saying is that I've heard (and seen in print) this tale several times before and I doubt that it was your grandfather who told me!

13. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    No doubt, in steam days a multitude of people that were in the first coach of a train with the ventilator windows open received a soaking when a loco picked up at troughs.