If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Warship Preservation (Formerly HMS Plymouth - Urgent Campaign)

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Thompson1706, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Our local website www.wikiwirral.co.uk has reports that the ship is being towed away for scrapping under cover of darkness tonight. Shame on money-grabbing Peel Holdings. Some reports say that the ship could actually still belong to the Royal Navy.

Bob.

2. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    I am in no way affiliated with the HMS Plymouth Trust or the campaign to save her, other then being a maritime heritage supporter.

The HMS Plymouth Trust are desperately attempting to raise £5,000 to support a Maritime Barrister who is attempting to place an arrest order and apply for ownership before she is towed away and scrapped. The money needs to be raised urgently, as her removal seems imminent.

For those who are not aware, HMS Plymouth paid a pivotal part in the Falklands conflict, culminanting in her wardroom being used to sign the surrender of Argentine Forces in South Georgia. She is the last surviving Type 12 frigate of either class (Rothesay or Whitby classes) and one of the few surviving ships of the Falklands War.

Please, if you can, support the HMS Plymouth Trust and help them to raise the funds to save this vital part of our maritime heritage. Visit http://www.hmsplymouthtrust.co.uk/ and donate if you can.

Drysdale likes this.
  3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

4. charterplan

charterplan Member

Peel holdings also sent another ship for scrap, namely the Manxman, as they would not allow it to stay and be preserved, a ship that once featured in George Formby film about the TT races.
    I have never trusted them since giving a months notice to quit from Mode wheel railway workshops, where I had kept a bus for 5 years, and also other vehicle owners who had been there longer.
    I do on the other hand hope that common sense is ruled and this is preserved in the Plymouth area,as she has to be saved.

5. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Some pretty strong words used on the HMS Plymouth Trust website - "lies", "deceived", "deliberate neglect" - directed at the council, Peel Holdings and the HMS Plymouth Association. However strong their views about the lack of progress or preservation, this doesn't give a very good impression for newcomers IMHO.

Richard

6. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    As I say, I'm not associated in any way with the HMS Plymouth Trust, but they certainly have been through the mill, especially with Peel Ports, so it doesn't surprise me that they're very very upset

Drysdale and Martin Perry like this.
  7. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Website is currently suspended due to overtraffic

8. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

I thought the trust had tried the relocate to Plymouth option and were met with a pretty disinterested response from the namesake city.

Shame really, because if the city of Plymouth can't show any enthusiasm for its affiliated ship, what hope anywhere else!

9. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Seems to be a problem with the link, something about host traffic being exceeded/access suspended.

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

You would not care to imagine that there is some skulduggery going on ....

11. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Hi Folks,

Their website hit the bandwidth limit and was shut-down by their service provider, however they have successfully raised the £5000 and the barrister is off submit the appropriate paperwork tomorrow morning. There is a concern that Peel Ports will attempt to remove Plymouth in the morning, as a number of tugs have re-located, so they're not out of the woods yet.

At the moment all the Trust are trying to do is re-gain ownership so something more appropriate can be done with her then scrapping. She is a significant part of our modern military and maritime history and her loss would be a travesty.

The issue with her relocation to Plymouth I think stems from the fact that the original offer of berthing from Associated Ports was withdrawn and no suitable location could be found in the time frame that was offered.

Martin Perry likes this.
  12. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Still berthed in East Float last night (Tuesday).....

Frank

13. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Just to let you know that she was removed this morning (Peel are clearly aware of what's going on). The arrest order is being issued to the High Court at 10am today, at which point the ship is impounded and forced to return to port, wherever she is.

14. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Chris - suggestion (although I am sure they will have thought of this) - get what is going on into the media ASAP. For the good of Admin's health and nerves, i won't print on here my opinion of Peel but from what I understand they have seized a ship effectively given to its previous charitable owners by the Royal Navy and plan to pocket the scrap proceeds.

Best of luck to those trying to save her but I fear they will find themselves up against the best barristers money can buy. Their best hope is finding a barrister who will work pro bono or at least at reduced rate but who is of a similarly high standard. The arrest warrant may give time but they probably need political strength behind them to convince Peel that this sort of action will see them become an unacceptable presence in this country to a large part of the public. This may be the worst case I am aware of that shows their modus operandi but there seems to be many cases where, as soon as they get their hands on some property, the purpose to which it has been used for years and which the local community probably expect it to continue to be used seems to go into mysterious decline and a need for "re-development" suddenly appears.

Steven

15. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Thoroughly agree with Bean-counter over Peel Holdings...

Ship AIS shows the tug 'Amber 11' off the Burbo bank windfarm, destination Turkey, but no indication of 'ship in tow'....
    Next port available is Holyhead....

Frank

16. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    As far as I am aware the warrant is being sorted out at the moment. There is a pretty strong social media campaign going on, but mainstream media is a different story. The new BBC studios in Salford are owned by Peel, and they are paying for this years BBC Christmas party...so some vested interests there.

In terms of political pressure, I know the local Labour Party are supporting the project, and that UKIP donated a sum of money for the above fundraising. Other then that I don't know much I'm afraid.

17. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Threads merged ...

18. charterplan

charterplan Member

Well get it on ITV media, get in touch with both political parties to stop this ship, it needs to be put in dry dock in Portsmouth for the time being, while this is sorted.
    News is news and whether Peel is sponsoring a party or not, this is of national heritage.

19. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    The Trust are trying, as far as I am aware.

20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

presumably once she is out of UK territorial waters then the legal matters get trickier ?