If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

W&LLR Golden Jubilee Weekend (6th & 7th April)

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by houghtonga, Mar 28, 2013.

1. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    For info, from the W&L website:

Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway : Home Page

6th & 7th April: Golden Jubilee Weekend:

Start the 50th season of the W&LLR in preservation with a celebration of the opening weekend, special Nostalgia Trains will be running to Castle Caereinion, as they did back in 1963. Come and relive some of the many events of W&LLR history through our storyboards displayed throughout the train of ex Zillertalbahn coaching stock and see how the railway has evolved over the past 50 years.
    A good opportunity for members, both old and new, to enjoy a good chin wag about one of their favourite subjects – the W&LLR. And why not share memories over a pint of Anniversary Ale at our Real Ale Bar too. Hot food will be on sale all day and into the evening. There will also be seating available so the conversation will not have to end when the sun goes down!
    To include a recreation of the Chairman’s Speech from ex Chattenden and Upnor Wagon 33 on Saturday 6th, just after the departure of the 13:00 passenger train from Llanfair Cereinion.
    The Nostalgia Train will be making three Return Trips from Llanfair Caereinion to Castle Caereinon each day, closely following the original timetable. Ticket price includes a commemorative leaflet plus a special edition souvenir ticket, in addition to the standard ticket for travel.
    Bookable in advance: Seating on the Nostalgia Train will be limited and is only available for passengers starting and finishing the round trip at Llanfair Caereinion. We regret that members’ free travel, Great Little Trains of Wales discount cards and Heritage Railways Association tickets are not valid on Nostalgia Trains

Nostalgia Train (Llanfair - Castle) departs Llanfair Caerinion at 11.10, 14.30 and 16.30
    The normal scheduled passenger service (full length of the line) shall also be running and departs Llanfair at 10.00, 13.00 and 16.55, and Welshpool at 11.15, 14.15 and 17.05 (there is a small fare reduction on the scheduled passenger trains if you pre-book online - see the website).

Other events coming up in 2013:

18th and 19th May - Swinging Sixties Weekend - step back into the swinging sixties and enjoy the nostalgia. During the weekend, there will music at the stations, displays of sixties memorabilia, cars and other surprises.

18th May - Sixties tribute Band 'The Suits' will be performing at Welshpool Town Hall - enjoy a fantastic evening, dancing the night away to live 1960s band 'The Suits'. Transport by train will be provided for people wishing to travel from Llanfair to Welshpool at the beginning of the evening and a bus will take everybody back at the end of the night.

31st August and 1st September - 50th Anniversary Gala.

Locomotives for 2013 (subject to availability etc): 822 "The Earl", 823 "Countess", 8 "Dougal", 12 "Joan" and 19 "FC Turda 764-425"

2. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Will anything interesting be running at the golden jubilee weekend? Dougal or Ferret and maybe Chattenden on passenger trains as it did in the early days? Be nice to see something extra rather than just the three usual trains and the Castle shuttles.

3. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi James,

I am not sure re. "Dougal" and "Chattenden" for this weekend, Richieboy might have a better idea? Steaming "Dougal" will depend on availability of crews.

I honestly, don't recall anyone in the past suggesting that enthusiasts would be interested in riding behind "Chattenden" as an attraction in her own right, maybe we are not aware of an emerging interest in her?

My understanding is "Ferret" is not presently a "live" locomotive - it can be started and the air recievers are still in date, but as it has not been physically moved for more than three years all our driver's would need re-assessment before they can drive her, also she has not been included in some recent changes to our SMS so this would need to be updated. I believe both the interest amongst our volunteers and some/all the paperwork to run her exists, however it is awaiting authorisation by the small team who control the contents of the the Safety Management System and this small diesel is not considered a priority by them.

4. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the response. No I'm not sure there is much interest in riding behind Chattenden apart from by me, judging by the responses to this thread, probably not that much! I just think it would be nice to see something different, the only locos I haven't travelled behind at Llanfair are Ferret, Scooby and Monarch so I'm keen to do them but its been years since I had a ride behind Chattenden. The last time was when it doubleheaded with the Diema after the Earl failed at Welshpool, probably about 5 years ago?

Anyway, as a life member I'll be there this weekend as hopefully will a few other people.