If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

VIDEO: The Talyllyn Railway 4/9/2011

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Orion, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I visited the Talyllyn Railway last Sunday 4th September and my film of the afternoon is now on YouTube. There were two locomotives in steam, ‘Edward Thomas’ the Kerr Stuart 0-4-2T of 1921, ex Corris Railway and ‘Talyllyn’, Fletcher Jennings 1864. Locations are Abergynolwyn, Towyn Wharf, Dolgoch, Pendre, and back to Abergynolwyn.

The film can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1Bgvjb2kc and I hope everyone enjoys it.

Regards

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Lovely film David.

3. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Nice film - though it looked like most of the trains were virtually empty

4. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    My thanks to Neil and Michael for their comments. In reply to Michael re the number of customers I think it needs to be remembered that most visitors to Wales would have gone home on Saturday as this was the last weekend of the school hols. The car park at Neptune Road was reasonably full with visitors forming a line of cars in the centre of the plot and the parking at Abergynolwyn when I arrived c11am was a challenge! I should think that the railway was content with the turn out for the last day of the mid-summer holidays. I looked at today's roster earlier and found that there was still a two train passenger timetable with the addition of driver training with a third locomotive, so the railway can't be doing too badly.

Regards

5. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Don't assume that lots of trains running = lots of paying passengers. It's very easy to run empty trains!

The TR Car Park in Tywyn is "free" by default and thus is popular with people who have no intention of paying to ride on the train!

6. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Michael is very cynical about the TR, I'd take his comments with a pinch of salt.

7. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    Very lovely film!a lot of thnaks David !but whoi is this charming lady-driver?:love:I'd like to date with her :so nice woman and more a railway lover :paradize in sum!
    regards
    noel

8. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I am sure the TR would love a few more bums on seats but the charm to me of narrow gauge is the relative gentile and relaxed pace of the trains and the fact that you are not jammed in like sardines. It is as always a balancing act between making money and giving passengers an enjoyable relaxing day out.