If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Video critique

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Neil_Scott, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I had a look at this and it's good when the lens is extended but when you pull back the composition is quite weak. The train disappears behind a wall/embankment which is a poor choice.

2. 981smithy

981smithy Member

Re: Buxton Spa 5/11

First of all take time to think at what time the videoographer got out of bed, secondly choice of locations in the area with that amount of light available and then finally appreciate that it was produced for people that were unable to see the tour.

3. Neil_Scott

Railway servant

A lot of us go to great lengths to follow mainline steam and sometimes the results aren't always as good as we anticipate.

4. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

What you seem to be forgetting is that this isn't a photography/video forum where contributors are looking for criticism or advice on their work.

As Phil says the videos and photos are posted for the benefit of the members who couldn't see the tour not for you to pass judgement on artistic merit!

5. Neil_Scott

Railway servant

I don't agree with you. If the video can be lauded by members than it can also be criticised as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer

Its all about opinion Neil. I personally don't agree with you.........Some people will like his shot some wont its just the way life is.

7. Neil_Scott

Railway servant

Yes well that's the point. We can't purely have positive opinion otherwise everything will be 'great' or 'amazing' or 'brilliant'.

This is a fantastic set of shots of todays tour: good composition, well executed and good sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3u2nLqMSE

8. mickledore

mickledore New Member

1 person likes this.
  9. Alberta 45562

We all know Austin shoots a fantastic video,the whole vid is brilliant as always.

As I said previously however I am now getting bored of seeing PF (as said,my own opinion,clearly others differ otherwise there wouldn't be so many there!),and thats before another 4 or 5 links get posted from there....

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Sorry Phil

I don't believe people go out to record an event for others less fortunate and unable to attend . It's for their own record . The joy of technology is that it can be easily shared to an appreciative or less than appreciative audience.

In the main if I post a poor shot I'd far rather people were honest or offered a constructive opinion than massaging my ego by telling me it is fantastic or that awful overused superlative of "great shot"

Now in this instance I can see where Neil is coming from . I think it's being approached through the eyes of a stills photographer and yes at the peak of the visual and audio action the focal point is lost in a cutting but equally i have to admire the madness (!) of the cameraman for getting up and going out to capture it

Taking up Mark's point , pepole congegrate at a location for one reason , 10times out of ten it's a good one , 9 times out of ten it's the best one . If you go away from the crowd then you have to be a very imaginative , skilled or downright lucky photogrpaher to secure something of quality

11. Alberta 45562

Agree with the first comment you make Martin,that is the exact reason I go out to get something different,I set my bar low,sometimes I can surprise myself with location quality (Ravens Rock this year) and sometimes not,so long as I get a video of the loco working hard it doesn't bother me if its just seen for 10 seconds. With regards to quality,I am of the belief that on most lines if you look hard enough you can find something of a decent quality,being local can help but more often than not google can reveal something. As it did for me with the Blaenau trip earlier this summer,a tiny clearing in the forest allowing a completely different shot only me and one other got whilst again everyone else climbed a mountain! Happened yet again on Hunmanby bank and again at Broomfleet in september,all about exploring and not just going to the same place. Again totally my opinion,the shots I got worked perfectly for me but would no doubt differ for others,its all about what you are after.

With Peak Forest I suppose it is the mix of signalling,easy to reach location and the climb that attracts the crowds.

Cheers,
    Mark

12. Neil_Scott

Railway servant

We all go out and try to take something great. In the 35mm form (or modern equivalent) we're all trying to be the next Gifford but most of the time we dont' meet up to these standards. To upload something on the internet opens it to critical opinion, regardless of where it is uploaded. I feel sometimes that vido-ers lack a bit imagination - you seem the same style of shot time and time again. It's nice to see something different again.

I'm prepared to offer to a critical opinion of video-ers and other photographers. I don't see what is wrong with this. Anyone is welcome to offer an opinion on my work - I do not hide it, look in the Photography section or during galas or mainline tours.

13. Alberta 45562

From my point of view,as said I go out for what I want not to satisfy people but as I always maintain,so long as criticsm is constructive it is more than welcome,it only helps improve ones photography.

14. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer

Strikes me a lot of the above belongs in the photo forum where it won't spoil the enjoyment of those of us who just enjoy the spectacle of locos working hard amidst fine scenery without getting all anal about it. So a big thanks to those who posted images of today's tour, most of us really appreciate your efforts I'm sure.

15. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I'd had that thought too , but it's time to sleep and see what happens in the morning

cheers

16. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

Originally posted by Neil Scot

I'm prepared to offer to a critical opinion of video-ers and other photographers. I don't see what is wrong with this

Nothing - if the poster posted for the sake of criticism ! As noted by others, many put images on their postings because they saw something that they knew others missed ( for many reasons such as work or distance or finance ) and simply wish to share the pleasure with those unable to be lineside on the day. They don't want criticism - or praise - but simply a "Thank You" for the pleasure of sharing. There is one video poster who specifically posts "Thanks for watching" at the end of his sequences and he posts for others not for criticism.

If you want criticism then get involved with specific photography forums where criticisms are both welcomed and encouraged but learn that some people neither seek or welcome criticism and your contributions become less than welcome as will your own postings if you continue in like vein.

in my own case I am able to join photo charters, which many are unable to do because of work (many take place during weekdays) or finance (once travel and accommodation costs are included costs easily reach treble figures), and I usually put some images on a specific (trusted) website with a link so others can enjoy the charter events. I do not seek criticism but I do look to give pleasure to others unable to join the event but who may appreciate seeing the possible results could they eever join a charter event. There are many of my ilk who also wish to share and not be held up to criticism by someone who wasn't at the event to understand the reality of taking images on the day.

The phrase that springs to mind is "If you can do better - then do so; a case of Put Up or Shut Up!"

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.

Strange really since you criticise Steve for a wall/bank getting in the way, yet in Austins excellent clip at Combs, loco and train is lost in trees for some way and then goes completely out of sight before the clip ends...

18. Neil_Scott

Railway servant

Sorry Fred but this is just typical nonsense from the traditional railway enthusiast brigade.

To criticise a photo doesn't mean you haven't had to take a great one in return; to criticise a video film doesn't mean you have to have filmed a great video the week before.

Any other medium would find the kind of argument laughed out of the critics room. Do you think that every film critic has shot a great film in their past?

19. Neil_Scott

Railway servant

Austin's shot has a great deal of merit compared to Steve's - you have to look at the whole sum rather than individual parts.

20. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)

And sometimes...........people post a comment just to create the sort of response seen in these pages. There's a name for that in internet-speak isn't there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.