If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Valenta to scream again

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Anthony Coulls, May 15, 2011.

1. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

The 125 Group is pleased to announce that it has reached agreement in principle with the National Railway Museum (NRM) for the return to service of the forerunner to the High Speed Train (HST) – the train which the revolutionised high speed rail travel in the UK in the 1970s. “Project Miller”, named after the original designer of the train, will see the 125 Group take prototype HST Power Car 41001 on long term loan from the Museum, subject to finalisation of loan arrangements, and undertake a full technical assessment of the vehicle and its component systems to determine the full scope of works required. These are expected to include repairs and overhaul to systems including cooler group, bogies and electrical and electronic components, as well as replacing the current sectioned engine with a production Paxman Valenta RP200L engine donated to the NRM from the MTU re-power programme.

Since its formation in 1994, the 125 Group has worked to raise the profile of the HST with the aim of securing the preservation of an example of this iconic fleet for future generations.

Gary Heelas, Chairman of the 125 Group, said: – “We are delighted that the NRM has recognised the work of the 125 Group, and what it has achieved over the past 15 years, through giving us the opportunity to work with them to bring 41001 back to life. The Group’s primary objective is to save at least one power car and to return it, as near as possible, to original condition. As the only group dedicated to the future of HSTs we have worked to build an extensive library of technical documents together with a stock of the major components and materials which will be required in future. The “hands on” experience which Project Miller will afford to the team can only enhance our ability to achieve our aims, and will hopefully help to maintain interest in these iconic trains over the coming years.”
    Steve Davies, Director, NRM said:- “I am delighted that the NRM feels able to support the potential restoration to working order of this important piece of modern railway history, especially at a time when the original Valenta engines have now been withdrawn from regular front line service. It also helps to demonstrate the NRM’s commitment to bringing focus to a broad range of traction, not just steam. We therefore look forward to working alongside the Project Miller team to deliver what we believe will be a unique contribution to the heritage railway movement’s operational fleet, representing the period of inception of arguably Britain’s most successful train ever.”

More details about Project Miller will be made available in the coming months on the project website, www.projectmiller.org.uk.

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I read about this on WNXX. When the power car is working, what are the group going to do with it? Unless they've got a HST rake to attach it to and another power car to create a full HST formation it would seem a bit redundant.

3. Anthony Coulls

We have a pic of it on 2 Mark 3s...and no trailer car. Rest assured Neil, everything has been thought of... ;-) Watch and see...

4. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Hmmmmm, yeah. Best of luck but I have my doubts.

5. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

The prototype HST power cars worked as departmental locomotives for a few years after the production HSTs went into service and were frequently used as single units hauling RTC test trains, presumably on circular routes or using turning facilites.

6. Coboman

Coboman Member

Is there only the one end?

7. markb846

markb846 New Member

I seem to think that the prototype HST power car had standard drophead buckeye couplers, rather than the fixed alliance type buckeyes of the production sets. I also seem to rember seeing a standard 1000V train supply jumper, and socket on the back end.
    I guess there is no reason why 41001 could not work top, and tail with a standard coaching stock set, and a loco on the back. Or maybe it could work with a standard HST formation, replacing one of the production power cars. Valenta, MTU, or VP185 power cars used to work together before.
    It would be nice to hear the Colchester screamer again, along with the white smoke as they power out of Paddington or Kings Cross.

8. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Yes and no:
    Yes - the other prototype power car was scrapped.
    No - unlike the production units the prototypes had driving positions at both ends, the one at the 'wrong' end presumably intended for shunting.

9. Coboman

Coboman Member

Oh right. Next question is, apart from the cabs (and the other driving end you mentioned) are the bodies the same as a production HST? I'm thinking if they are at some time in the future a prduction HST could be re nosed to match 41001 to make a pair.

10. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Best of luck with the project, this would have made a great April-fool-fool if you get my meaning :)

If it succeeds it really will be one of those ones that can truly claim "a lot of people said that would never happen". I know I've said it in the past...

11. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I recall that there are detail differences that may render this difficult if not impossible. The orignal concept was that 41000 / 1 were considered as locomotives ( hence the vehicle number ) with the idea of operating HST Passenger services during the day and sleeper / freight services overnight. Between the original design of the 252 unit and the production 253 series the concept had moved on and the locomotive had been renamed "power cars" to disengage them from any freight activity. The result was that the rear end of 41000 / 1 had a driving cab with power controls allowing speeds up to 30 mph if I recall once the decision had been taken not to use them on either sleeper services or overnight freight. I stand to be corrected on this latter point but the detail differences are such that the prototype was classified as 252 whilst the production series were designated 253 ( 254 originally for the ECML 2 + 9 trainsets but then 253 as the power cars became identified as separate and interchangeable ).

12. Anthony Coulls

Fred, worry not, the 125 Group have produced the most detailed business plan and feasibility study we have ever seen for an NRM vehicle's restoration. With their connections and expertise, if they can't do it, no-one can.

13. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Anthony - thanks for response but I have no concern about the 125 or NRM plans knowing the expertise ( and commitment ) within the NRM; my digest was for those who were not around at the time the HST was introduced in the 1970s and were therefore unaware of the differences between the 3 number series ( 252 / 253 / 254 ).

14. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

Im more of a steam enthusiast, but I have to say this is one machine I would very much like to see running. Very good luck to all those involved, please keep us informed how you get on.

Hopefully in time there might be enough valentas to warrant conversion of another HST set back into BR Flying Banana configuration when in preservation. Thats the scheme Ive always thought they looked their best in.

How many HST prototypes were there, and how does this example fit in? Im assuming this must have been of the second tranche of prototypes for the 252 series?
    http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/File:43000-1.jpg

15. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Only one prototype train with two powercars, but these were later renumbered. Details here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_252

Out of the original 12 vehicles, only two were ever scrapped. The others were either preserved (powercar) or recycled as standard HST carriages, royal train carriages or test coaches.

Did the prototype HST ever hold any speed records?

Richard

Richard

16. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

I was so impressed with these trains when I first rode in one in the mid 1970s. I'm really delighted to hear this news and wish the project all the best.
    On a related note, are there any units still in use with the original Valentas?

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I would have thought that having say, power car 43198 in "as withdrawn" condition would be appropriate, sure not a perfect "test" train, but it tells both ends of the story, in one train, as it were ?

18. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I think you will find they all have MTU engines now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_43_(HST)#Life_extension

19. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Good luck with the project.....

I remember the test hst shunted into the siding at Chippenham one sunny afternoon, it had gathered quite a few spectators (some out of the brake people works "over the line"!) by the time I got there - but no film in my camera.....
    I did get a sneak view into the cab.

20. markb846

markb846 New Member

East Midlands Trains power cars have VP185 engines. These are a Paxman development of the Valenta. Sadly by this time Paxman had been taken over by Alstom. The first batch of VP185 were not that good, and kept being booked for low power. The second generation VP185 engines built by MAN were much better