If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Uploading to youtube advice required

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Western Druid, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Western Druid

Western Druid New Member

Hi,
    I am looking for advice as regards uploading video files to youtube.
    They state that the max file size is 2gb and length 10 mins.

I have my first vid ready for uploading, it is just under 10 mins long and just under 2 gig (it's behind 37294 from Bolton Abbey to Embsay at the recent diesel gala).
    I click "upload" and it tells me it will take around 12 hours!!!
    That seems to be a little long!

What I would like to know is what length and more importantly what file size do others use?
    Of course if you reduce the time by a 10th to 1 minute the file size drops to 200mb and the uploading time accordingly - I could also reduce the quality, does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks
    Kev

2. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    12 hours if your lucky, frankly keep it under 1 gig, use mp4 or AVHD if it hd. HD is still hit and miss and it so slow to load, its not actauly loading time that is the issue, apperently the file is converted on the fly, this reduces the upload spead to almost nothing, my current salution is to use Mp4 always, you can stiil get high quility results as long as you tweak your settings, this is what I use these days.

mp4 format
    740x576
    30 frames a second.
    Set the format to speciffy 16x9, it put a flag on the film that youtune pick up, otherwise you may find your film getting seuished up, assuming it is a wide screen film you are loading.

And finaly I cange the number of bytes per a second to 3072.

File size end up for 10 mins around 250meg, that will take around 2-3 hours to load if you avoid peak periods, I usualy leave it upload over night.

All the above depends onl your software, I use Ulead, as you get the full range of options on your fiel formats, I have used others such as power director, but the mp4/youtube settings they have are about 2 years out of date.

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think maybe you are trying to upload a file that is too high quality, once there, YouTube will promptly process down to a much lower quality.
    I've just had a look at the 1 minute video I uploaded last night, it's done on Pinnacle 12, MPEG-4, 1280x720 to give HD, 25 frames per sec, and 4000 Kbts/sec bit rate. That makes a file of 35Mb and uploaded in 10 minutes, however a check this morning gives the upload time of under 5 minutes. Much less traffic at this time of day.
    It's worth doing a up and down load speed check at various times of the day, the results show a very wide spread of speeds.

Ralph.

4. Western Druid

Western Druid New Member

Thanks for the advice.
    I've been creating an avi file with a bitrate of over 6000 so I'll try the mpeg4 and a lower bitrate and see what happens. I guess it's trial and error until you find the optimum values?

Cheers,
    Kev

5. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Have you tried the Divx codec available for free from http://www.divx.com

I would recommend buying the pro version for around £13.00 as it offers a few useful extras. Using Divx results in a much smaller file but retains the quality.
    I use Corel Videostudio to edit and after editing my last video at 9 minutes was 1.6 gigabytes before reducing to around 600Mb with Divx. That normally uploads in around 2 hours to YouTube but last Sunday things seemed slower than normal and it was almost three hours and crashed once.

If not using HD and you want the High Quality option from YouTube you need a high bitrate around 5000Kb/s and a constant bitrate, not variable.

6. Western Druid

Western Druid New Member

Thanks acw I'll have a look at that.

I've finally got it uploaded:
    Embsay - 37294

It's in mpeg-2 at 4000 kb/s, I couldn't save it as mpeg-4.
    It's not HD but the quality looks quite good and the sound is excellent - sorry if you're just a steam fan :)

Thanks for the advice,
    Kev

7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Glad you have got it sorted now.. How long did it eventually take to upload?

8. Western Druid

Western Druid New Member

It took around 1hr 50 mins this was starting at 2100 last night.
    The file was 297mb