If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Up andcoming in Cornwall

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by nanstallon, Oct 30, 2016.

1. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have just visited the Helston Railway. This railway is steadily making progress to restore a significant section of the old Helston branch, which has been closed for over 50 years. There is much enthusiasm, and you could see that the kids on half term were having a good time. At £7 (adult) for a two mile trip it may seem expensive, but I enjoyed the general atmosphere and the brake van was fun and was more of an adventure than a 'proper' passenger coach. There is a café in a dmu (ex West Somerset Rly Park Royal class 103) with the usual beverages plus a range of cakes, and bacon butties - if not sold out! The second hand books are worth a good look.

At present this line is diesel worked, but a steam engine should be up and running before very long. There have been planning permission problems but these have been overcome by a successful appeal, clearing the way to building a bigger terminal. Watch this space!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

3. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    There are many obstacles to be overcome, but I imagine 3.5 miles or so as the railway cannot get beyond the Water-ma-Trout industrial estate in Helston, or Nancegollan industrial estate in the other direction. However, it is a question better asked of the leading lights at the Helston Railway!

John

Black Jim likes this.
  4. Western Dreamer

Western Dreamer Member

The original branch was 8 7/8 miles in length. A mile-long section of the line is operational at present, with a further 1/4 mile or so to be added once the new station/operating base has been built. As the last 1/2 mile of the trackbed into Helston station has been lost to redevelopment, there remains 1 1/4 miles of restorable trackbed southwards to the outskirts of Helston.

From the new operating base northwards to Nancegollan, the distance is under 3/4 mile.

Apart from the (small) industrial estate built on Nancegollan station site, there are no other real obstacles on the trackbed for another two miles or so towards the junction at Gwinear Road, so if a solution were found to enable a line to squeeze through/around the industrial estate, it would be possible to restore over 5 miles of line.

5. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Was down there two weeks ago, found the Trevano farm terminus and the northern extension (under water) but could not get to the main station where the cafe etc is. Gave up and went to Camborne instead.