If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Unidentified coach body or bodies at Bognor Regis

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Kinghambranch, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    In May 2015, whilst at Bognor Regis, I spotted these much modified coach bodies (I think that there are more than one) which were easily visible from the promenade sea wall at Bognor. They are situated at the eastern end of the town quite close to the Butlin's complex between Bognor Regis town and Felpham. Despite having a good search on the Carriage Survey website, I've been unable to identify them. Can anyone assist?

Also, in a publication on a subject I'm researching at present, I came across a photo of a coach body near Heckington, Lincolnshire, taken in 1988. This coach body is purported to have been from stock on the Cranwell Railway, which closed for passenger use in the 1920s, so it would be a remarkable survivor in some respects. Again, I couldn't find any information on the Carriage Survey website but someone here may know. Thank you in anticipation.

20150500-Old Carriage Body Bognor-1.JPG 20150500-Old Carriage Body Bognor-2.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

3. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Ah, I see. There are so many LBSCR coach bodies in the locality that they have all been placed together in one geographical location (Pagham is to the west of Bognor Regis) for ease of cataloguing. Around 150 is an incredible figure but I had no idea how much stock the LBSCR had. I can quite see the attraction in buying old coach bodies for seaside use though. Thank you very much for your swift response.

4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Yes it's quite amazing really how many there are - lots of underframes needed!

5. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

This is why the IOWSR bought 10 PMVs many years ago and odd ones since. Of course gricers being gricers there is the odd comment along the lines of "wouldn't it be nice (sic) if the were kept as PMVs" but then, as Frankie Howard used to say, we shouldn't mock the afflicted! Bogie underframes are, if anything, even more of a problem but some have been available.

PH

6. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

We should be thankfull that these bodies have survived but are we now are looking at a possible skills shortage in years to come? how many colleges actually teach students traditional wood working methods? when most of the industry now uses glues and fixings, not joints and pegs ? during my time working on chicken sheds this was a common discussion point .

7. ssk2400

ssk2400 New Member

electrical engineer
    I live in cumbria and there has been talk of for many years of either an old coach body or tram car being incorporated into a house in south cumbria ,furness probally around the kirby in furness area does any one now if this is true .

8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This is why the EHSI scheme was developed, which Stanegate Restorations were involved with right from (before) the start, as a backup method of skills training since even the larger heritage lines can't provide enough training places to keep up the supply of skilled staff.

9. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Sounds like the body of the FR rail motor trailer that was incorrporated into a house - not sure of its current status but yes it's true. There is also other FR body's about if you know where to look. . . .

10. ssk2400

ssk2400 New Member

electrical engineer
    Hi do you have any more infomation or photographs of the furness railway coach bodies or railmotor body please

11. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Not much on the net I'm afraid - one is shown on this page :-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1486-grounded-vans/page-5

I've not seen the rail motor trailer although there were some photos of it in the Evening Mail a long long time ago. The other body I know about is at a private location, but I was asked not to disclose the location by the owner . . .

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015