If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

UKRT trips using Locomotive Services Limited fleet

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The following trips have appeared on the UKR site : -

The Irish Mail Saturday 3 August 2019 https://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-irish-mail/

The Palatine Saturday 24 August 2019 https://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-palatine/

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    46223 and 26D_M like this.
  2. Will RL

Will RL Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looks like LSL are to operate the tours as well

3. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Granted times this far ahead are anyway provisional, but there's something awry with those for the Palatine: Euston 07.15, Watford Junction 08.10. The all-stations Overground trains get to Watford slightly quicker than that. The Irish Mail three weeks earlier is shown with the same Euston 07.15 departure, no Watford pickup, and 08.05 at Milton Keynes.
    Anyway I'm tempted.

4. leander

leander Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    What stock will they be using ? mk 1 stock or LSL coffins ?

5. KRM47827

KRM47827 New Member

AK
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not noticed any Saphos jobs on either date or a day either side so on paper LSL or Riviera stock possible. I'm sure a quick email to UKR might get you an answer. The dining is usually in mk1s on Saphos although the first and standard are air cons if that's any use to you. Whether LSL have any more carriages in the workshops currently I don't know although I'm sure they owned a few more than have been out in the first year.

6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Feels like these trips have a UKRT/LSL link up all over them. If that's the case then the odds may well be on the much higher quality LSL stock being used, perhaps?

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    D213 is rumoured to be the loco for the 8th June UKR trip to Crewe open day and Chester, so I wonder if that will be LSL stock as well.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just as an aside. I would have thought that LSL stock plus LSL loco(s) make for potentially cheaper overall hire charges and that's good for profit margins for UKRT. I think it is common knowledge that Riviera stock is not cheap to hire. Add to that the understandable separate costs of hiring in a steam loco and you could see the total bill coming to more than an in-house arrangement. (Witness what VT charge and WCRC when their locos are used).

KRM47827 likes this.
  9. KRM47827

KRM47827 New Member

AK
    Can't comment on LSL stock but do know Mr Farrow has a couple of old friends at LSL management level so it'd make sense he would be their first third party customer.

10. KRM47827

KRM47827 New Member

AK
    Frequently 5 figures extra for RT plus TOC option these days. Only a few years ago the differences were somewhat smaller so there may have been more reasons to look at RT stock if the accompanying TOC had anything useful to offer for a niche railtour trip Eg rare locos etc.

26D_M likes this.
  11. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

The LSL coaches im not a huge fan of as they have these air compressed doors which open on their own and if someone is unlucky to be positioned where they close they will shut on you. It's not helped by there being no windows that open on the inside meaning you cant get any fresh air coming in at all, the only ones you can open are the droplights. The central door locking though is a good idea though as means you dont need bolts across the doors.