If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tyne Tees Tornado

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by guycarr360, Apr 24, 2010.

1. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Through Chester le Street 11.48am, maybe 50mph.

2. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

A very good tour on my first trip behind 60163. Late departure from York on the outward led to a 35 min late arrival at Newcastle due to being looped at Durham and slows at both Thirsk and Darlington. Due to the lack of time servicing at Tyne Yard we continued to be around 30+ mins late for the rest of the steam section which was easily made up with an early arrival back into Cheltenham. I was in the leading passenger coach throughout the steam section and the noise was fantastic. Of all the times I had seen her down south I had been very disappointed at the lack of sound but she certainly proved that she is capable of making a racket!

4. bobbler

bobbler Member

Why is it that this trip has attracted little interest from Nat Pres members?

Just wondered.

5. 23E

23E Member

6. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

For many of those with a leaning towards lineside photography, the 'Tornado effect' wore off a long time ago. Unfortunately, the use of DBS exclusively as the TOC means that 60163 is pretty much permanently attached to dreadful mixed liveried rakes of coaches. I do think it's a shame to see locos turned out in fantastic condition, only for the whole visual experience to be let down by the stock. This weekends was about the best rake of stock DBS have, but Tornado on choc & creams doesn't do much for me. WCRC do occasionally turn out duff sets such as the recent Duchess runs, but in general you've a reasonable chance of a rake of maroons. So, for a good number of photographers, if there's anything else running, that's where they'll likely be.

7. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    No I do not currently volunteer
    and over here on the WCML were happy to wait for it to come this way, now that its not exclusively out of london southbound or on the ECML.

8. Steam gets in your eyes

Steam gets in your eyes New Member

Whilst I do Agree that 'Tornado' has lost a bit of it's shine (it does seem to be everywhere :) ) the A1 Trust does have a business to run and train companies do still like it on the front of their excursions. I was on one of the initial tours from York/Doncaster over a year ago, and the run back from Morpeth to Newcastle on Saturday put a huge smile on my face. Let's celebrate not remonstrate our new mainline steam engine, it may not have the nostalga of a 60-80 year old engine but it still gives an awesome performance when given the chance.
    I'll let you know if I feel any different after I get back from the 'Coronation' :)

9. FlyingScotsman4472

FlyingScotsman4472 Member

No I do not currently volunteer