If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tintern Station

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Great Western, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Great Western

Great Western Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    After visiting Tintern station today and walking the length of the tracked at the site, I wondered where the line went after crossing the now removed River Wye bridge at the Abbey end of the site?

i did a quick Google search and found a very good picture looking down on the bridge from above with a short freight train about to cross. Looking at the site today and this picture I assume there was/is a tunnel more or less straight off the bridge? Is the tunnel still there today?

Regards
    Great Western

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you are looking at the area in Google maps, take the 'Streetview man' and hover him over the area where the tunnel would logically be. You will see a number of blue dots appear on the map. If you hover over these dots you will see thumbnail pictures appear which you can then 'drop' the streetview man onto to get a proper picture. One of the pictures is of the southern portal of the tunnel and another is of the inside of the tunnel.

Hope this helps,

Keith

3. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

The tunnel was still there when last visited a couple of years ago. Beyond there the trackbed was then intact to the quarry & from there to the junction with the main Glos - Newport line the track was intact though very heavily overgrown. The branch approach to the junction is fairly steep & it is then about a mile to Chepstow NR station.

Sustrans had a scheme to convert most of this route into a cycleway but I don't know the current situation re this.

4. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

The bridge over the Wye still in situ at Tintern was a branch to Tintern wireworks. As far as I recall the railway bridge is in use as a footway, maybe part of the Wye Valley Way?

As an aside, the standard work on this line would appear to be " The Wye Valley Railway and the Coleford Branch" by Handley and Dingwall, Oakwood Press.

6. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    There was also an abortive project in 2007 to establish a 12.25" gauge line on the route, initially from Tintern to Brockweir, but sadly didn't get realised although I understand stock and track materials were ready to be deployed. There's still a ground level line at the Tintern end.

More discussion on the proposed route here Tintern Steam Railway

7. Great Western

Great Western Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    That's great thank you gents. Looking further towards Monmouth on Google, it appears there is a triangle junction just outside Monmouth, what looks like a long viaduct is still showing on the Welsh side of the Wye, which runs towards the dual carriageway towards Newport via Ragland.

There are two bridges across the Wye one at Tintern Village which is now a walk way and the other toward Monmouth which looks very rusty but fully intact. Strange how the one at Tintern station was removed.

The junction with the mainline at Chepstow has been removed and plain lined as part of the resignalling scheme commissioned last month.

Regards

8. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I think that the bridge to the wireworks survived as it was already in use as a public footpath, the line having closed well before the 'main' branch.

9. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired