If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Welsh Highlander - Sat 6 June 2009

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, May 22, 2009.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There does not seem to be any mention of this yet so it's about time there was a thread for it.
    Should be a very interesting day out with the run on the Welsh Highland from Dinas to the outskirts of Porthmadog, over the new section of line that will not be opened to the general public till the Autumn.
    Anyway organised my ticket today, only standard class left..

http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/vt2009_0606.htm

2. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

And may I just add a little foretaste of the narrow gauge portion that isn't open to the public yet?

3. RalphW

I wonder what the capacity of a Garratt hauled train is, because if everone opts for a trip on the WHR there are going to be a lot of people there.

4. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

It looks like there are no service trains running that day, so the practical limitation is probably the length of train that can fit in Hafod y Llyn loop (if your train operates the same way as last Saturday's sponsors' trains, it will run topped and tailed south of there). Depending on choice of carriages (e.g. which service car, taking the observation car or not, ditto the Heritage carriages), capacity should be somewhere either side of 300.

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I'd be suprised if capacity was a problem for the WHR, VT rarely run with more than 9 passenger carrying vehicles in the formation and thats assuming its fully booked

6. RalphW

The VT trains Premier Dining and First are full but there were still a few spaces in 2nd class last Thursday.
    The itinery does say As level crossing orders are not yet in place we will not be able to cross the road but, instead, will be towed back the couple of miles to Hafod-y-Llyn loop where our Beyer Garratt will run round
    It adds our train is likely to be hauled by 87, the recently restored Belgian built NGG15 Beyer Garratt currently painted in workshop grey. That may upset a few photographers.. :-k

7. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

That sounds like the intention is to go as far as Pont Croesor rather than through to the edge of Porthmadog, so about a mile and a half less than the sponsors' trains did last weekend. Still a very worthwhile extra run though (keep a watch out for the ospreys!). So far, photographers seem very happy with no. 87 (an NGG16, there's such a thing as an NG15 but not an NGG15... I'll get me coat) in aircraft grey (not workshop, it's gloss!).

8. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Vintage Trains website has been updated today saying the WHR train in now only going as far as Hafod y Llyn.

The Railway Inspectorate have confirmed to the Ffestiniog Railway that our special train may operate as far as Hafod y Llyn. So we will run this far and it includes the Aberglaslyn Pass. We should also have a stop at Beddgelert.

Can anyone in the know edvise exactly where the WHR service is currently operational to and how much extra track participants on this VT trip are actually getting. When advertised this trip was stated as going to the outskirts of Porthmadog but looking at a map of the area Hafod y Llyn seems some distance away from Porthmadog.

9. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Hafod y Llyn is the current run round point, as from last Friday, so it doesn't look as though there is any extra mileage involved.

10. 7911

7911 New Member

Anyone know when Edgcumbe is due to arrive at Llandudno Junction? I was thinking of seeing it as part of a day trip to Conwy.

11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Keep an eye on UKSteam during the week is probably your best bet, not unusual for timings to not be "out" till the thursday before a saturday tour.

12. RalphW

The times with the tickets say 10.04 and leaving at 18.35, thats a long time for the crew to be sitting around even taking into account the trip to Valley to turn.

13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Hhhmmmmmm.....

I am due another trip to the Snowdonoian mountains.

Rather fancy getting a shot of the train looking down at Beddgelert from the top of Moel Hebog

Or from part way up Mynydd Sygyun, where I had some practice back in April!

[​IMG]

14. Achar2001

Achar2001 New Member

Motoring and Rail Journalist and Editor
    Interesting pic that, the position of what i assume is a guy in a high-viz jacket gives the impression that the K1 has some VERY serious steaming problems! :)

Regards

Andrew C
    W&LLR

15. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Arrives 10.04, Departs 18.40

David

PS www.uksteam.info is temporarily offline this morning as it is moving to a new server. Back soon !

16. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Even more so given that the loco is not K1 but no. 143, which is an oil burner...!

Very nice picture - is that one of the pre-Beddgelert opening test trains? It's an unusual set for commercial operation (no First class, and two bike wagons rather than the usual one).

17. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

No. He was just checking a few things out, and moved out of shot when I politely asked him to. (You'll see he's gone now!).

18. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

It was taken on 4th April, and I guess it was a test train.

19. 7911

7911 New Member

Thanks for the times - I'm coming from Liverpool and am already thinking if just seeing the return.
    Looks like a seriously early start for the Brummies! (Well worth it of course...)

20. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Don't worry about us Ralph, we'll catch the service train to Llandudno and go for a paddle in the sea. 8)