If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The South Devon Explorer with 46233 Duchess of Sutherland, 28/05/22

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Hemerdon, May 28, 2022.

1. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

My film of The South Devon Explorer, taken at Whiteball (Marlands), Stoneycombe and Hemerdon.
    On the first clip there is some background noise. Unsure why, maybe the microphone maybe not liking the wind rustling the nearby trees, or some interference.
    The second clip is hand held whilst standing on a gate!
    The third clip was taken into the sun, the Duchess making a slow but steady climb of Hemerdon.
    Apart from that........

2. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks. Really good to see and hear the Duchess on her own, working hard. No sign of any slip.

Hemerdon likes this.
  3. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

My footage of the tour at Beambridge, Rattery, Hemerdon and Pugham Farm. I hope you enjoy it :)

4. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

Here's my footage of the Duchess once again tackling the South Devon Banks. I filmed her at Stoneycombe, Hemerdon, and near Pugham Farm. I hope you enjoy the video.

Mick45305 and Hemerdon like this.
  5. Bill2

Bill2 New Member

Some comments on the South Devon Explorer of 28th May, blessed with fine weather all day with a cooling breeze taking some of the heat out of the sun at Plymouth. 6233 came on at Bristol (having been at St Philips Marsh overnight) and with the support coach made the load up to ten coaches for around 365 tons tare and 390 gross. Departure was a minute late, but with eight minutes of allowances approaching Uphill there was no need for a great hurry and a steady acceleration managed 44½ mph at milepost 123¼ that marks the summit of the climb out of Bristol. Maximum of 72 on the descent after Flax Bourton that was gradually allowed to decrease to 61 at Worle. but even so there was a 1½ minute signal stop before Uphill while the train ahead came out of Weston Super Mare. Speed was then steadily worked up to 62½ at Highbridge and 67 through Bridgwater falling to 65 on the hump over the river Parrett, then 69 approaching Durston, 62 over Cogload flyover and 68 at Creech before a signal check to 20 while the train ahead was calling at Taunton. Accelerating through the station at 32½ mph, the maximum on the climb to Whiteball was 49½ between Victory and Bradford crossings, then 47 passing Wellington and 38 entering the tunnel., through which the average was 41 mph. My seat was near the back of the train and gps gave 45½ at post 174, with a maximum of 70 before slowing for the water stop in Tiverton loop, 80 min 53 sec from Bristol, schedule 76½.

Watering was completed well within the allotted 32 minutes and the restart was punctual Maximum before Exeter was 72 at Hele, but we then caught up something ahead and were checked down to 20 mph approaching St Davids and 11½ afterwards while it cleared. A steady run gave 59 mph near Turf crossing before a slow entry to a pathing stop in the loop at Dawlish Warren, reached in 35 min 36 sec from Tiverton, schedule 31.

The overtaking train was slightly late but we left on time though closely enough behind it to justify fairly gentle progress around the scenic coastal section eventually working up to 58 mph before Newton Abbot with 56½ through the station and 54½ at post 215 where the Duchess was opened out to give 56 at post 216, 40½ at Stoneycombe and a minimum of 24½ approaching Dainton Tunnel..Time from post 215 to tunnel entry 3 min 57 sec. The subsequent descent was taken very cautiously to allow the train ahead to clear the long section from Totnes up to Brent, with speed down to 16 mph at one stage, but the Duchess was then worked hard enough to pass Totnes at 53½. Mileppost 225½ at Tigley is normally the slowest section, passed at 26 mph, but after accelerating to 33½ I think a slip caused speed to fall to 24½ at post 227 with a recovery to 31½ at post 227½, 32½ entering Marley tunnel, 45 at Brent and with 40½ at Wrangaton summit. Time from post 223 to 227½ 8 min 14½ sec. Gravity gave 59½ before Ivybridge, subsequently braking to 48½, then 58 past Cornwood, 52 at post 239¼ at the top of Hemerdon with 65 maximum down the bank, I suspect a slight check approaching Plymouth where arrival in platform 8 was 7 minutes late, 63 min 49 sec from Dawlish Warren.

Report on return trip to follow. Meanwhile thanks to RTC for promoting the tour and West Coast for operating it.

6. Bill2

Bill2 New Member

Now for a brief report on the return of the South Devon Explorer of 28th May, my seat being near the front of the train in this direction. The start from Plymouth was 18 minutes late due to a combination of sluggish flow from the hydrant and late arrival of the coal lorry, mainly the latter. I suspect A slow and slippery start took nearly six minutes to enter Muttley tunnel but downhill acceleration gave 58 mph at Laira and 60 at the bottom of Hemerdon bank. after which the gradient took its toll with a minimum of 10½ mph at the top of the 1-in-42 followed by a recovery to 41½ mph at post 238½, the four miles from post 242½ to that point taking 9 min 15 sec. Further recovery gave 55 mph at Ivybridge viaduct and 59½ at Brent separated by a minimum of 50½ at Wrangaton. Ivybridge was passed in 24 min 30 sec from the start and Totnes 35 minutes 37 sec. Time from post 221½ mph, passed at 49½ mph mph, to entering Dainton tunnel 5 min 15 sec, with a slip on entering the tunnel bringing speed down to 15 mph. Time to Newton Abbot 47 min 51 sec, passed at 57 mph; to Teignmouth 53 min 6 sec at 55½; to Dawlish 55 mi n 59 sec at 60; to Dawlish Warren 57 min 35 sec at 64½ mph: and to Starcross 59 min 24 sec at 70 with a maximum of 73 at Exminster. However we then caught something up giving a 10 mph check before St Thomas and thus overall time to platform 6 at Exeter was extended to 73 min 40 sec, schedule 68.

Watering was completed quite quickly, but we were held a few minutes to follow a service train and the restart was 17 late though the crawl out of the platform suggests this must have been on a yellow signal. Once under way, the Duchess was opened up to pass Cowley Bridge in 4 min 28 sec at 37 mph, Stoke Canon in 7 min 45 sec at 51½, and Hele in 12 min 56 sec at 59½.. The maximum at Cullompton was 64 with 60 at the top of the subsequent 1-in-155 and 67 in the dip before Tiverton Parkway, passed in 20 min 48 sec still at 67 mph. Time from Exeter to milepost 174 at Whiteball 23 min 59 sec with a minimum of 56½. Average speed through the tunnel 63 mph and maximum 75½ after Beam Bridge descending Wellington bank before slowing to cross to the loop at Norton Fitzwarren. Arrival at signal E481 after Silk Mill to change locomotives in 36 min 37 sec, schedule 34; the Duchess was replaced by one diesel here with the second coupled to the back of the train in the platform at Taunton station.

A pleasant trip, thanks again to RTC for promoting the tour and West Coast for operating it.