If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Royal Wessex - April 27th

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Timings are just up on UK Steam. It looks like a nice slow ride down to Swanage taking an hour from Basingstoke to Eastleigh including a pathing stop at Wallers Ash for 20 minutes. I know I'm biased but by the time we get to Wallers Ash this train will probably be at line speed so I'm having difficulty working out why we need to be looped when already travelling at 75ish mph and with a turn off at Shawford only 8 miles further down the bank. And it gets worse.....On the way back we are given an hour from Andover to Woking made up mostly of 38 minutes from passing Basingstoke to stopping at Woking.

Could someone please ask the person who worked this out on his/her computer to start thinking sensibly about a path that might work better or will we really have to spend the whole day in a loop or jogging along behind something?

Sorry about this rant folks but I'm looking at Lizzie's timings, also on a weekday and these look much more sensible down to Swanage. Does NR think Clan Line is running tender first!

2. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    The Times have subsequently been changed. Revised times will be posted shortly.

David

3. desperado

desperado Member

There are still seats left in Standard Class for this and I've just found out that I could do it.
    Will the revised times be up any time soon so I can see if it's more interesting?

I'd also be interested to see where the diesel is attached / detached for the Swanage - Southampton section.
    It's just a pity they won't use 33012 from the Swanage railway for that. I'm sure it could manage it perfectly happily operationally.

4. Big Al

You may find that the DL is attached not just for the Swanage - Soton section. If we are lucky then it will be left at Wloo and not appear until Swanage. But then it may well remain attached all the way back to Wloo because of this nonsense over long trains arriving at Wloo platform 19. That said, if the trip is not sold out then, whilst that's sad for UKRT, it does give them the option of having a shorter train so we (and the loco crew/Clan Line) can enjoy a run without an extra 90+ tons slung on the back. The problem is that tickets are out so I presume the train length has already been determined.

5. gwr4090

Scientist (Rtd)
  6. Big Al

Thanks to everyone (UKRT/SW Trains) who have now come up with something sensible. Soton DGL to Bournemouth is not far away from old steam times and the run from Andover to Woking (42 miles in 45 min) will make for an interesting dash and may even be up the ML. Well done and thanks again to those who made the effort.

7. Daniel533

Daniel533 New Member

I'm looking forward to my first trip behind a Merchant Navy, although when the first set of times were posted i was a bit worried about trying to get home after the tour, the revised times give me more opportunities to get home at a decent hour!

8. Big Al

Won't this trip be the first one of a Merchant Navy to Swanage? I recall that there was a weight restriction on the line until the Swanage Railway made improvements.

9. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

35027 ran on Swanage Railway 2000 - 2002.

D6515 won't be able to do the Swanage - Southampton leg of Friday's tour because DBS no longer have a mechanism for acceptance of private owner locos. 70000 was the last one they took on. Unless someone knows otherwise!
    D6515 is approved by GBRf and WCR.

10. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Surely every steam loco is a "private owner loco" as far as DBS is concerned since unlike WCRC they do not have a steam fleet of their own. Does that mean they can only operate the ones which are already registered? If so where does that leave steam locos such as 34046 that have not yet entered main line service?

11. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

D6515 is a diesel. Perhaps that's the problem....

12. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Apparently some passengers wish to alight at Corfe Castle so this might delay 35028's scheduled arrival in Swanage (13:53) by a couple of minutes.

13. gwr4090

Scientist (Rtd)
    This applies to diesels, not steam.

14. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

buzby2 do you know what loco's are rostered for the Services on Friday? I'm on the railtour and am hoping to see 34028 in steam.

15. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

34028 has been kept back especially to run on Friday along with 35028. It should be quite a sight for the two '28s to pass at Harman's Cross - anyone got a helicopter?
    Eddystone should then run through to 10th May.

16. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Following on from twr12's details you'll have time for a round trip behind 34028 during the tour layover. Eddystone is scheduled to haul the 14:45 from Swanage to Norden arriving back at Swanage at 15:55. Your tour is not due to depart Swanage until 17:00.
    For photographers on here - They'll both be boiler first when 34028 and its train, waiting at Corfe Castle Up platform, crosses with 35028's arrival around 13:35 at the Down Platform.

17. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

Well done Swanage Railway for having the savvy to ensure that 34028 would be allocated to work on the day of 35028's visit. I look forward to seeing the spectacle.

Cheers,

Paul

18. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Thank you both (twr12 & buzby2) for the info. Much appreciated.

19. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    There's a piece on the BBC website about Clan Line's "return" trip to the Swanage. BBC News - 'Banned' Clan Line steam locomotive's return trip A bit of a daft article but it's all good exposure. It was in the top 10 most read stories on the BBC website when I found it.

All the best for the trip today, here's hoping for a good one!

20. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I like this bit: ".....and withdrawn by British Railways a year after its failed trip to the seaside...."

But that story on the BBC website should ensure a very good crowd of onlookers, rather crowded local roads and hopefully a good extra stream of revenue for the Swanage Railway.

PS. Now it's going for a trip to the seaside, does this mean that the loco crew will be taking their buckets and spades with them as well? Knotted handkies on their heads and feet up in a deckchair on the beach.

Actually. The knotted handkie on the head for a 35028 driver would not be unique.

The much missed late Gordon Porter's trademark was a knotted handkie on his head. And he was at the controls of 35028 that night in December 1966 when he got her up to 103 mph approaching Fleet on the up "Club Train", 19.14 ex Southampton. One of the most heavily debated Merchant Navy runs ever, as it got very close to, or maybe actually touched, 3,000 ihp. I missed that night, must have been locked in and tied to my desk at college, but did get a good run when Gordon worked the other half of that turn, (it was a high mileage turn and was split over two weeks a month apart to even out pay for the crews). 35007 on 12. Sigs to 20 approaching Winchester Junction and 70 mph over Roundwood. 93 around Hook after a sigs stop near Basingstoke. Then 94 at Pirbight Junction before a sigs stop at Woking! Circa 70 minutes net Southampton to Waterloo. On a 97 minute schedule which took account of the electrification engineering works! The late Tommy Moult was the fireman on both runs. Another great guy from the days of steam.