If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Royal Duchy 5th April

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by D1059, Feb 12, 2009.

1. D1059

D1059 Member

I see from UKSteam that this has been moved from Saturday 4th April to Sunday 5th and that D1015 is now scheduled for the diesel leg of the tour as far as Westbury (steam portion of the tour now goes to Newquay with 5029 and 70013 top and tailing it). The DTG's site doesn't have any details of this and still shows the next booking for Champion as 21st June and its Scottish jaunt - can anyone confirm the outing on 5th April please ?

I'd have loved to get down to Cornwall to see 5029 and 70013 make the assault up the Luxulyan valley, but thats out of the question at the moment. Please make sure one of you is up on the aquaduct with a video camera =P~

Thanks
    STEVE

2. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't, I'm on the train!

3. Robbo

Robbo Member

From the DTG website:
    D1015 2009 Railtours.

12th September, Didcot / Banbury / Tame Bridge - North Wales & Blaenau Ffestiniog (Pathfinder)

31st October, Bristol / Chesterfield - Buxton & Hindlow freight branch (D1015 / 60) (Pathfinder)

5th December, Provisional pre Christmas Trip with The Irish Traction Group to Yorkshire.

Also note that D1015 will be working the following legs of steam tours operated by the Railway Touring Company.

Sunday 05th April : Paddington-Westbury

Tuesday 07th April : Bristol-Penzance

4. D1059

D1059 Member

Thanks - I didn't find that when I looked

5. TA

TA New Member

I'd have loved to get down to Cornwall to see 5029 and 70013 make the assault up the Luxulyan valley, but thats out of the question at the moment. Please make sure one of you is up on the aquaduct with a video camera =P~

Thanks
    STEVE[/quote]

I'll go if you tell me where bouts it is! Is it a good shot?

6. D1059

D1059 Member

I'll go if you tell me where bouts it is! Is it a good shot?[/quote]

http://wheresthepath.googlepages.com/wheresthepath.htm

The Treffrey Viaduct - line is in a tight rock cutting to the south, opens out and goes round a left hand bend to the north. No idea what the vegetation is like there now, its been 25 years since I was up there. Its on something like a 1 in 30/35 gradient so the noise will be epic.

STEVE

7. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

8. D1059

D1059 Member

Yup - thats the spot - Treffry Viaduct

9. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

[/quote]

The Treffrey Viaduct - line is in a tight rock cutting to the south, opens out and goes round a left hand bend to the north. No idea what the vegetation is like there now, its been 25 years since I was up there. Its on something like a 1 in 30/35 gradient so the noise will be epic.

STEVE[/quote]

Heres a copy of the Gradient profile it should be well worth a visit, not an easy stretch to lineside though.

http://crjennings.com/preserved%20steam ... Index.html

10. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I hope that Treffry aqueduct/viaduct doesn't fall down with the weight of photographers standing on it on 5th April. Steam to Newquay is a treat to be enjoyed whenever (not often) available.

John

11. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

uksteam says the train will be topped and tailed on the Newquay branch. Does anyone know if this means it will be steam hauled in both directions from and to Par [seems no reason why it couldn't be] or if the diesel which will take the train back to London will follow the train down the branch to haul it back.

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Isn't the Newquay branch effectively just a long siding after St Blazey ?, i'd imagine steam both ways unless the branch needs to be cleared for a service train during the interval.

13. IKB

IKB Member

That would seem to be the whole point in top & tailing, so it can be steam hualed both ways.
    Can't see there would be much point in going to all the hassle of moving one loco to the back at Par, if a diesel was going to pull it back from Newquay

14. 09015

09015 New Member

http://wheresthepath.googlepages.com/wheresthepath.htm

STEVE[/quote]

I walked up the valley sometime in the last year or two and I wouldn't bank on getting a clear shot.

15. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    My own experience of Treffry aqueduct/ viaduct (it used to carry water on a canal before its railway use) is that a shot going up the bank towards Newquay is v. diff. because of vegetation, but a cracking shot in the other direction (when of course there won't be much, if any, clag). I believe theer has been some clearance down the valley and it may be possible to get a shot coming off the viaduct further down the line. The advice is get there nice and early to do some reccy! Not advocating trespass, of course.

Good luck, and may see you there.

John

16. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

No service trains on Sundays in April. That's why the train was move to the Sunday I believe. Branch is being opened especially for the train.

17. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

I’ve said it before many times but steam tours that are supposed to start from Westbury never…

18. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Change of plan - 5029 comes off at Par, and Par Newquay is now 70013 with a Class 47 at the back.

David

19. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

David, Any idea of the reason for the change. This is most disappointing.

20. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

That wasn't very smart, the tour highlight for many being knackered with a Duff banking ](*,)