If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Railways of Sudan

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Roger Farnworth, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The latest issue of "The Narrow Gauge", the journal of the Narrow Gauge Society, carried an article by Iain Logie about the trams of Khartoum. The city was served by a narrow gauge steam tram network which was later replaced by Electric tram network.

This prompted some research into the railways of Sudan and first of Khartoum. The national system used trackwork set at a 3ft 6in gauge. There are plans to introduce standard gauge to Sudan, but in the meantime work to refurbish the present network is taking priority.

My first article centres on Khartoum and looks at the national network in the vicinity of the city. .....

The 3ft 6in (1067mm) gauge railways in and around Khartoum. ....

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2022/05/31/railways-of-khartoum-part-1-the-3ft-6in-1067mm-gauge

2. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    One thing regrettably all too rare are colour photos of Sudanese steam. Passenger locos wore a rather fetching blue, not a million miles from the lighter Caley shade sported by No.419, but, certainly in weathered condition, closer to that currently worn by ex- Dudley Zoo and Fairbourne Railway 4-6-2 Ernest W Twining

Roger Farnworth likes this.