If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Queen Mary - The real one

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    is up for sale

Surely the British maritime heritage movement isn't going to fail her again. She was bought into the museum profession in 1977 - now look at her!

http://commercial.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=106613

2. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    When has the maritime heritage movement failed her before? Every account I've found about the ship suggests she's had a purely commercial life.

3. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hiow much!!! :-k

4. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

Wrong Mr Elliott

The QM was withdrawn by Calmac on 12/9/1977 and purchased by the City of Glasgow Museum.

They then had a rethink and decided that they did not have the resources to preserve her - so she was sold into the world of leisure.

She has done thirty years at that game, but is now at risk at the tender age of 76 years long after she has passed beyond obsolescence and into historic importance.

At a price of £155k she is a bit of a better bargain and just as, if not more, historically important as any green machine in York

5. stan the man

stan the man Member

Definatley worth saving althouigh its a shame her engines and boilers are long gone and she is really just a shell.

No doubt she will end up being scrapped.

Jim S

6. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    I asked when the maritime heritage movement had failed her before because the accounts I had read suggest only a commercial role for the vessel since withdrawal.

Can't see how that makes me wrong....

But thanks for the extra information.

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I have had the pleasure of attending a function on this boat, and have sailed past it a few times.
    until recently it's exterior was looking very poor, with grass and weeds growing out of the riverside of this ship.
    It's interior is basically tatty and really in need of a good clean up.

To be honest, whoever buys this is going to have to spend a good chunk of cashing making it look good, but it's future can really only ever be as a restaurant or bar if it's ever to pay it's costs !

8. stan the man

stan the man Member

She certainley will not steam again and I guess her only real use now is for a restaurant or bar etc. She can hardly become a maritime museum without any machinary.

Lets just hope she is saved, pity all her guts were ripped out not that long ago.

JS

9. Guest

Occasional
    Actually, I totally disagree.

She is the original blank piece of paper that such as Appledore could hide away at the likes of Birkenhead and quietly do a complete re-power and re-equip.

Such a strategy could produce a modern excursion ship a la VSOE traditional style and make a veritable killing

Oooopps - much too imaginative for the Brits - must smoke something else!

10. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And where does all the money come from to fund this pipe dream ?

11. Guest

Occasional
    When you start to ask that question you fail to get things like Tornado or The Vulcan.

I always prefer to think Can Do!

12. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    These people who think that just planting some new machinery in the engine room & off you go , are not living living in the real world. They obviously have no grasp of the costs incurred in restoring a ship to certificated passenger carrying condition. A & P Appledore would be as welcome in Birkenhead as Barack Obama in a KKK meeting.
    The main reason for the 'Manxman' project failure was the refusal of Peel Ports to provide a berth anywhere on the Mersey.
    If you want to support a worthwhile ship preservation scheme , try the'Daniel Adamson' or 'Nomadic'

Bob.

13. Guest

Occasional
    Excuse Me for breathing!

I might just know a damned sight more than you about ship operation, restoration costs, and operating difficulties - and have been there and got the Tshirt too - so wind your neck in please.

Tonight is the second night on the trot that I have been on the road in connection with trying to keep real coastal cruising alive in this country - not restoring hulls that will never carry fare paying passengers again no matter what their historic merit.

Kindly bear that in mind before attacking your keyboard

14. tamper

tamper Member

retired
    Coastal cruising, like this one...

[attachment=0:12wr9htq]026.jpg[/attachment:12wr9htq]

15. Guest

Occasional
    Might be Bob's - the ones I'm dealing with are a little larger

16. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry to disappoint my critics, but just to let you know I do think I know what i'm talking about when it comes to ship restoration costs. I started in the Cammell Laird drawing office in Sept. 1969 & have worked in the shipbuilding & shiprepair industry ever since.

Bob.

17. Guest

Occasional
    Then what prompted your silly and uncalled for outburst last night?

If no-one wanted repair or renewal work done you wouldn't still be where you are, as that's all that Birkenhead has existed on for many a year after the "Costa Packet" fiasco. The British ship repair industry is now so small that the once unthinkable sight of CalMac ferries drydocking on the Mersey is almost a regular activity because yards are so few and booking space/time so difficult. I hope you get the MoD order to get you back into building - and I'll bet no-one is asking where the money is coming from for that "pipe dream"

You also know full well that out of the water work on ships is only one tiny part of the overall cumulo of ship operation - especially in an estuary as ship unfriendly as the Mersey has become since it became part of the rapacious Whittaker empire. That is why we aren't even considering the river this year - greedy and difficult barstewards! Piers falling down reduces operating potential even further - another reason not to sail in the North West anymore.

The ridiculous ministrations of MCA and Port Security requirements are making it ever more difficult to operate within regulations, let alone some of the tax dodge and National Insurance nonsenses that have to be implemented just to stay afloat, and that's before starting to deal with potential sailings, destinations, timetables, advertising and ticket selling .

The Credit Crunch effect waits to be felt this year - will there be heritage ship "operation" rather than mere static display in the UK in the future? And that isn't a free activity

Some of us will do all we can to retain it - but its highly unlikely overall unless there are drastic changes.

So I say again - talk it up - and use it - or its a goner

18. stan the man

stan the man Member

Hi Frank,

I agree, the Queen Mary is a blank canvas and I would love to see her back in steam or even diesel if it came to it, but as you know the one and only sea going coastal pleasure steamer is strapped for cash so if one thats only just been rebuilt cannot cover her costs who will pay and restore and engineless hulk?

Perhaps if at least the Quuen Mary is initially saved she could one day be restored when we wake up and realise what we have (a bit like the dear old Manxman really!)

Nothing is impossible!!! its just money.

JS

19. stan the man

stan the man Member

Does anyone have any updates regarding this vessel?

Hope she avoids the scrapyard.

JS

20. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    I have a few feelers out but have heard nothing as of yet. Given she complies with modern regs as a static vessel and as such one would imagine she is in fair condition she would represent a good buy. I am not sure on the hull condition?

Whilst we can all dream of seeing her sail again I think that is highly unlikely (not impossible). We must remember the current ships on the coast now struggle to operate due to high running costs and a lack of punters.

She really is a superb looking ship and the very last of her type. Some of the early shots of her around on trials and in early LMS service depict one of the best looking coastal steamers around (and that from a White Funnel fan!).

To me she represents a far more viable proposal than the Manxman for static preservation. Do a cost analysis between both vessels and you will struggle to come to a different conclusion. As we all know ship preservation is a very difficult tasks and deep down I know the end will probably reach both soon . . .

I have always thought it a shame the railway press cover so little of the old 'railway steamers' perhaps they could at least help raise the profile of this equally important past of Britains railway's past . . . sadly an email to Steam railway regarding the same matter received no response . . . .