If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Presents of Christmas yet to come.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by BiggerBob, Oct 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BiggerBob

BiggerBob New Member

Many of us now find our movements restricted, For me one of the joys of visiting narrow gauge railways is browsing through the new books on narrow gauge railways in the ticket office/bookshop - enabling me to refine my Christmas present list. So which is the best book on narrow gauge railways published this year? And why do think it is?

2. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well Bob, Peter Johnson's books on the Mid Wales lines are good. I've purchased 2 copies of his volume on the Corris which came out at the end of 2019 to give as gifts and by buying them from the shop on the Corris website I've supported the railway and got a discount. Delivery was a couple of working days after I ordered. Peter is able to tell some complicated stories clearly and he doesn't try clumping attempts at "humour".

But all n.g. lines with online shopping will appreciate our support in these times to keep going until we're able to browse in person again.

30854 likes this.
  3. Axe +1

Axe +1 New Member

Retired {Electronics Engineer}
    I would recommend a brand NEW book, which as of today has just been published within the last 7-days.

Available from the L&BR station shop at Woody Bay, I purchased my copy online last Monday, and delivered 2-days later on Wednesday. The book contains many first-class photographs of the pre-1935 L&B which serve to show the atmosphere of this popular and unique railway.

[​IMG]

The L&B Story is the history of the line from construction to closure in photographs (a number of which have never been seen in print before). All feature detailed historical captions laid out to maximum advantage.

132 pages with at least one photo per page including a 1929 1" map.

The L&B Trust's latest publication and for the first time a hardback book you will treasure. Only 1,000 copies have been printed and there will be no more.

For further information, see >>> https://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/shop-item/new-lb-story

Old Kent Biker likes this.
  4. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    You beat me to it Chris!
    Mine arrived yesterday - although even though I bought and paid for it myself, it's been taken away, wrapped, and I'm not allowed to open it until Dec 25th! :(

5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I'm wondering whether to order a copy, considering that, on the one hand, it will be wonderful to browse but, on the other, that I already have more books than I can fit into my bookcases and no more space for more bookcases.

What is the rationale for never printing more than the initial 1000?

And what are the plans for volume 2 describing the rebirth? Wait until the line has been reopened as far as it ever can be (which will be well after my time)? Or a series of editions over the years?

6. Axe +1

Axe +1 New Member

I suspect the reason is likely to be because like all other heritage railways, the L&BR has been short of cash for non-essential procurements due to the covid pandemic.

I believe there may well be something on the drawing board, so watch this space !!!!!!!

7. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

I suspect that 1000 isn't that small a print run for a railway themed book these days. Given their previous experience with some very good publications the L&B folk will have a sound idea of how many copies they can reasonably look to sell and will know how many have to be sold before contributing to the bottom line and future development. A matter that is entirely for them.

Axe +1 and Old Kent Biker like this.
  8. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I'm sure there's a sound rationale for the initial print run. What I'm wondering is why they have decided on what is effectively a limited edition, with no reprint ever.

9. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

It's all academic until the current print run has covered its cost and later hopefully approaches a sell out. Currently, and with more clouds gathering, bottom line trumps hypotheticals I'd suggest.

10. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Right now, that's all too true across the board. :(

11. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    I will certainly be getting a copy of this:

railway to advenbture.jpg

The Railway to Adventure is the story of the Port Elizabeth to Avontuur 2'-0" gauge line in South Africa. Some of you may already be familiar with Charlie Lewis's superb website Soul of a Railway, this book could be considered the hard-copy of the online site:

https://sites.google.com/site/soulorailway/home/system-3-1

I would recommend that you take a packed lunch and a few beers if you visit the web-site, as I guarantee that you will be gone for quite a while........

Cheerz,

Alan

12. Axe +1

Axe +1 New Member

I am closely associated with the Surrey Support Group of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust who publish a well-received edition of a detailed book about the railway, which includes the post-2004 restoration era. In 2009 we published our 2nd edition printing 1,000 copies. The books sold well in about 12-months, so we ordered a further 1,000 copies from the printers. That second batch took 9-years to sell and a lesson was learnt.