If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Leas Lift in Folkestone is set to close down because of a lack of cash

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by sycamore, Jan 9, 2017.

1. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned...

http://m.kentlive.news/the-leas-lif...0041456-detail/story.html#dRKsQzx1dbQEqBZJ.99

Will

2. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
  3. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

What legislation covers this situation? Has something changed?

4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Health and safety say the braking system needs a failsafe system, that the present system could fail( woodern blocked that lock to the track the cars in the case of a runaway) i saw it being tested several times and it seemed ok to me, but the greater issue is the total lack of any visitor attactions along the leas or the lower leas other than the park, the redevelopment has stalled and wont be started Dehaan most likily does not have the money or wants a better price for the land so it remains a waste land, if there was a reason to visit the lower leas, then the lift may have survived, Shepway , Radnor estates and the harbour company who own all the land and hold the aces, in effect gave up on folkestone 20 years ago , the council hoped that Roger dehaan would re generate the town, but a few artists isnt the answer

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The problem is not the brakes on the track but the band brake that is routinely used to control the system. Band brakes are notorious for fatigue failures of the band. The Mines Inspectorate, who are the enforcing authority, would like to see a disc brake system installed.

6. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I would imagine the owners who the CIC lease the site off will be rather desperate to see a solution as they are about to get lumbered with a very substantial liability if it closes.

7. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

The owner is Radnor Estates, Lord Radnor owns much of the land that is Folkestone, but his decentants lost interest many years ago, and that s the problem, no one who has the clout to do anything, either has the desire, or prehaps now the capitol to do anything beyond small scale projects, add a council who tend to be scared of the influence of the likes of Radnor Estates, and other leading personalities , you have the reason why good meaning projects like the leas lift fail, had a suitable re development of the lower leas ,land owned by the Harbour Company taken place, to attract people to the lifts, they would not be in the situation they are in,