If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great K&ESR Gala Weekend 30th April - 2nd May 2011

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Paul42, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Visiting loco is City of Truro.

Press release can be found at http://www.kesr.org.uk/special-events/details/81-the-great-kaesr-gala-weekend.html

2. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Fantastic. Even a loco you've had plenty of time with elsewhere over the last few years seems freshly exciting when Tenterden bank is involved... Unfortunately I'll probably need an asteroid to land on my employer's office to get this weekend off work, though, but hopefully Dad can go along at least. Great to see how these KESR galas have gone from strength to strength. What's the likely home fleet line-up?

1 person likes this.
  3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    It's a pity that this event coincides with the NYMR gala and the Bank Holiday weekend. I've tried it before and it took me 4.5hr to get to Tenterden from Harrow because of the traffic going to the south coast/Heathrow/Gatwick/Dover. When I finally got there it was a good event, I enjoyed it, but it really needs to be moved to another weekend.

Regards

4. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

There are only a limited number of weekends in the year and therefore some conflicts are inevitable.

I doubt too many people will be torn between a conflict betweenthe NYMR and K&ES.

Have you tried rail and then bus? I'm sure it would be quicker than 4.5 hours.

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I haven't quite tried public transport, I used to go to my sister's in Borough Green by rail and it took ages.

It's true that there are going to be conflicts but it doesn't have to be with a Bank Holiday Weekend! The south-east just clogs up, best to go north.

Enjoy your gala!

Regards

6. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Looking forward to this gala, will Bodiam be painted in lined black in time for the w/e?

7. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Travelling on a Saturday, i.e. 30th April
    Dep Harrow & Wealdstone 07.57
    Arr Ashford Int'l 09.48
    Dep Ashford Int'l Bus Stn 10.24 Stagecoach/East Kent Route 400
    Arr Tenterden 11.03
    5 min walk to trains
    Total time just over 3 hours, beats 4½ by car, dunnit?

8. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Orion,

I travel to Harrow every Monday and return to the Kent Coast either Thursday or Friday (including Bank Holiday weekends). If you are travelling by car, I recommend you go northabout on M25. It is considerably quicker - typically 2.5 hours even with the roadworks and Dartford crossing.

9. Seagull

Seagull Member

10. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    You've forgotten the two buses to get to Harrow & Wealdstone! You are also assuming that all services will work as advertised a big assumption in itself. Also not having the car with me will make getting about difficult, although it has to be said that going by road around the K&ESR is very time consuming.

I've just come back from the K&ESR, or about two hours ago. Left at 3.15, took a little time out at Lasham aerodrome, bought a kebab in North Harrow and arrived home at 5.30. Just about two hours, which is what I would expect on a normal day.

Regards

11. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    I will be working on this gala,
    Serving on the Pullman cars with a mad scotsman!
    Gonna be great!

12. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

well we are doing our best, she entered C&W last week end and ive made a start on the preperation which is what takes the time, we should do it, but its going to be very very close.

we are only a very small team at Tenterden and so far its just me who is tasked with doing the work helped by Meg, once ive got the preperation done , it hasnt helped that the engine came up straight out of traffic after the junction road week end and hasnt been properly cleaned prior to entering the paintshop ,ive spent the past few days having to clean it before i could start to rub down the paintwork a task that given the already short time scale hasnt helped

13. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So who were the two footplate crew busy working on her all day on Wednesday then?

14. martin butler

Howard, that i didnt know about, did you mean the wednesday before the junction rd gala ? but take my word for it, she was not what i would call ready for the paint shop , it needed a lot of cleaning . but im glad to say that with help from harry and simon, who made a lot of difference the first grey primer coats are now on so its looking good, but its still going to be very tight because there is still a lot of work involved but i think thats for another thread

15. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

Without giving too much away I'll say this. ALL of the servicable steam loco's will feature in traffic at somestage over the three days with 8 loco's in steam each day (Including Truo). Diesel enthusiasts need to come Sat for the Crompton & Monday for the Ford & 03.

16. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

Loco line up for the weekend is as follows:
    Sat - 23, 65, 1638, 5753, 32670, 32679, D6570 & Truro
    Sun - 14,65, 1638, 5753, 32670, 32678 & Truro
    Mon - 14, 23, 65,1638, 32670, 32678, D2023, Ford & Truro

Does this mean what you stated in the earlier thread has now changed?

17. martin butler

are we likily to see double headed Br liveried terriers during this week end ? and are there any plans to try and get 32662 down at some stage once her transformation is completed obviously not in time for this gala, but maybe later in the year?

18. Spitfire

Spitfire New Member

There should be some double heading and top and tailing with the two Terriers plus several chances to see them passing one another.

The loco line up is still envisaged to be as listed above but with an extra loco in action each day. The P Class (5753) is likely to cover the extra turn on Monday.

19. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

No it is correct, but there is 1 small addition on Sat & Sun (Small being the operative word).

20. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Could it be Marcia at last? Surely not Gazelle (go on .. overhaul it - you know you want to)!