If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Fellsman 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by pete12000, Jun 3, 2013.

1. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Some good views posted here, but some somewhat spoiled for me if there were lineside fires caused by the steam locos.

Some parts of that route are in amongst areas where, this year especially, ground nesting birds could still be breeding, albeit probably at the end of the cycle. Certainly the Short-Eared Owls use the terrain likely to still be dry and any remaining young are likely to be wandering a considerable distance from the nests. And they won't survive a fire.

Steam operations are an important part of my life, and for most others here. But IMHO they can't be allowed to run without proper fire precautions IF they are risking the lives of our dwindling wild life.

I sincerely hope NR will review the situation and if there still is a fire risk on that route, that they do whatever they feel is needed to cut the risk to the lowest level they reasonably can.

2. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

I was bitten by most of our dwindling wild life in Cumbria yesterday................short arsed owls excepted. :)

5098 likes this.
  3. sowerbylad

sowerbylad Guest

Has there been any offical news of lineside fires, or is it hearsay? I would have assumed if there had been fires of any magnitude the tour would have had a diesel involved on the return. There wasn't.
    The Scarborough's are eastern and by past experience totally different to western.

4. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Now I wonder who that was aimed at Stewart? enjoyed yesterdays banter with you and the Baron of Cramlington lol

5. phil.sez

phil.sez Member

6. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Gentlemen, please enjoy yourselves at my expense. It has put a smile my Yeti face today! :)

I hope my concerns are unfounded as I doubt very much that NR would ever risk lineside fires by not taking action when they perceive a risk exists. IMHO they have shown that very well this year already. I sincerely hope they continue that course of action.

So I doubt they need any pressure from such as myself, DEFRA, Natural England, the RSPB, the BTO, and the vast numbers of wildlife followers in the UK who would be most unhappy if steam hauled trains were being run in a sensitive area when such a fire risk existed.

But, if I have to, I will take whatever action I see as appropriate to ensure the responsible bodies are made fully aware of any potential risks to wildlife. Coming from a life long steam enthusiast will, I am sure, give my concerns some weight.

Carry on enjoying. :)

7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looking at great shots like that, it makes you realise how fortunate we are up this end of the country when there are these types of locations within a couple of hours driving....
    I am also wondering how this trip could carry the 1T57 headboard, and be sold as the 15 Guinea Fellsman when, apart from having similar locos to those used on part of the 15 Guinea Special, and travelling on part of the route used by the 15 GS, it had little else in common. It did not start from Liverpool, it did not visit Manchester, and it did not have a Brit on the front at any time....
    I was working on a diesel charter a few weeks back that travelled over the S&C, could that be tagged 15 GS....????? :rolleyes:

8. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    I like that shot Stuart(tell shep how to spell your name lol)Nice to see steam in the landscape and be able to identify the train
    H

9. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Ye olde goat stands corrected BEoC

10. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

Black Magic on the 1T57 Fellsman 7 August 2013

This special Fellsman was promoted to commemorate the 45th anniversary of the Fifteen Guinea Special, British Railways' last steam hauled train. We were promised a double header of LMS 4-6-0s, hopefully Scots Guardsman and Galatea in BR Brunswick Green. Although Galatea appeared earlier this year, it was in a strange red livery and has since developed middle cylinder problems, whilst Scots Guardsman was busy this week on the bucket and spade run to Scarborough.

We still got the Stanier double header though, in the shape of two immaculate Black Fives, not belonging to Riley and with late BR logo, Nos 44932 and 45231. Appropriate traction also for the re-run of the northern part of 1T57's itinerary. Handsome they were, and handsome they did right from the off, storming up the bank out of Lancaster and reaching 57 at the University, then onwards and upwards all the way to the outskirts of Preston, covering the first 19 miles from a standing start in just 21 minutes.

On the climb from Daisyfield Junction in Blackburn, we accelerated to 37 and dropped only to 32 at the summit at Wilpshire. We ambled on through the beautiful Lancashire coutryside to a long water stop at Hellifield, then the fireworks started again. From a standing start at Long Preston we reached 53 by Settle Junction and were hardly restrained by the start of the 1 in 100, still doing 51 through Settle station. By Helwith Bridge we were down to 42 but accelerated to 47 along the level stretch and stayed in the mid-40s all the way up until having to slow for Ribblehead - an excellent climb. Along the tops through Garsdale we touched 60 again and went over Ais Gill at 53. We rollicked down to Appleby, staying four minutes ahead of schedule until a slow approach for the water stop. Most of our run on to Carlisle was also at around line speed and we were 6 minutes early at Petteril Bridge Junction before the usual stop outside Carlisle station.

This was an excellent morning's run on a glorious summer's day with competent engines and spirited crew. I had to butt out of the return run as I had acquired some painful smuts from a short spell of window hanging during the morning. So I watched the train depart then jumped on a Pendolino, straight back home and to A&E! I am assured the eye will mend in a few days - meantime I have many happy memories!

20 pictures are at http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com/p259178267

Peter, on a warm afternoon in Manchester
    http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com

11. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    OK, OK, there's no need to rub it in Ralph......................................................................... :p

12. henrywinskill

13. phil.sez

phil.sez Member

Cheers Henry, was hoping for a little bit of clag though departing over Carlisle Bridge. Hope you had a good day.

14. henrywinskill

Yes had good day Phil despite being in the company of Lord Askam lol

15. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Another video with shots from Galgate, Bay Horse, Whernside, Crosby Garrett, Smardale Viaduct and Scorton:

[/quote]

dublo6231 likes this.
  16. henrywinskill

[/quote]
    Excellent clips David
    H

17. Linesider

Excellent clips David
    H[/quote]

Many thanks Henry - let's hope for more of the same (and no diesel!) on Sunday.

18. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Whernside!!! you must be mad or something going all the way up there, but on the plus side a stunning shot..

19. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

I saw one myself near Settle. It was significant enough to be seen from the hillside a mile or so away, but I think may have burnt itself out quite quickly.

Your point about there being different policies between eastern and western is valid, and we might see evidence of this tomorrow, with trains covering the S&C from both sides of the country.

20. Linesider

Thanks Ralph. Quite mad but not as mad as the three peaker we met on the summit who had started his challenge at 5.00 a.m. and was on his second summit by 10.00! ;)