If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Fab Four Steam Gala, Barrow Hill Roundhouse, 13-15 April 2012

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by alexastott, Jan 16, 2012.

1. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Although information about this event has been appearing in other threads, now that tickets have gone on sale I thought it might be a good idea to start a dedicated thread on National Preservation.

Tickets are now on sale through The Ticket Factory. You can book through www.theticketfactory.com or telephone them on 0844 581 4939.

As previously advertised, the stars of the show are:

A1 60163 Tornado
    A2 60532 Blue Peter
    A3 4472 Flying Scotsman
    A4 4492 Dominion of New Zealand

This is the first time these four classes of locomotive have appeared together in preservation. It will be the A4's first visit to Barrow Hill and a welcome return after a 38 year absence for Flying Scotsman, the engine having starred at a Barrow Hill Open Day in 1974.

Also confirmed to appear are Barrow Hill residents 506 Butler Henderson, J17 8217 and Peckett 2000 (in steam).

Other guests include H7 1310 (in steam), J72 69023 Joem (in steam) and N2 1744 (in steam).

We are awaiting confirmation of more engines and I will put further details on here when they are available.

We are expecting a lot of interest in this event and would recommend that you pre-book your tickets. The other advantage of pre-booking is that the tickets are cheaper :)

Further information on the event can be found on the Barrow Hill website Welcome to Barrow Hill, Britain's only surviving operational Roundhouse Engine Shed, Chesterfield and we will be sending out regular updates on Facebook and Twitter.

Alexa Stott
    Barrow Hill Roundhouse

2. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Isn't Mallard Replacing Scotsman?

3. alexastott

alexastott New Member

As you'll no doubt have read in the railway press, Steve Davies is committed to having the A3 ready for our gala and we are looking forward to having the engine here - hence the title of the event :)

4. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Why is Saturday more expensive than Friday or Sunday?

5. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Whoa there tiger! Cut the guy some slack, you know what the rumour mill can be like!

Alexa, thanks for posting details, wish I could be there but business takes me abroad that week.....

Foxy

6. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Campainr, we expect Saturday to be the most popular day so we're offering cheaper prices on Friday and Sunday in order to try to even out numbers across the three days. Please also note that we are recommending pre-booking as there is a possibility that we may sell out!

Foxhunter, sorry to hear you won't be able to join us :(

Alexa

7. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Interesting strategy. Could make Saturday quite quiet though I'm still going for Friday.

8. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Campainr, glad to hear you can join us - we're all really looking forward to this event - it will be "fab" :)

9. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Latest - and very exciting - news on this event is that Mallard, Green Arrow and the Atlantic 251 are joining the Fab Four line up! This is the official announcement.....

World record holder A4 4468 Mallard is to join A1 60163 Tornado, A2 60532 Blue Peter, A3 4472 Flying Scotsman and A4 4492 Dominion of New Zealand in the ultimate line-up of Pacific super-power!

The already eagerly anticipated ‘Fab Four’ Steam Gala is now on course to be one of the must visit events of the year, having also secured the appearance of V2 60800 Green Arrow and GNR C1 Atlantic 251 from the National Railway Museum’s collection. This takes the total number of steam locomotives at the Gala to 17. As already reported in the press, the National Railway Museum has given its word that the A3 will be present at this potentially once-in-a-lifetime event.

The line up will now include the following locomotives:

A1 No. 60163 Tornado
    A2 No. 60532 Blue Peter
    A3 No. 4472 Flying Scotsman in wartime black
    A4 No. 4468 Mallard
    A4 No. 60019 Bittern in its current guise of No. 4492 Dominion of New Zealand
    V2 No. 60800 Green Arrow
    C1 No. 251
    plus B1 4-6-0 No. 61264, former GCR 4-4-0 No. 506 Butler-Henderson, N2 No. 0-6-2T No. 1744, J72 0-6-0T No. 69023 Joem, J17 No. 8217, Midland Railway half-cab No. 1708, Y7 0-4-0T No. 1310, ‘Black Five’ No. 45110, Peckett No. 2000 and Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST Henry.

The movement of Mallard, Green Arrow and 251 from York to Barrow Hill and back will be undertaken by former Royal Class 47 No. 47798 Prince William.

Commenting on the news, Mervyn Allcock, Barrow Hill’s General Manager said “We are delighted to have secured the attendance not only of the most famous steam locomotive in the world in Flying Scotsman but now also the fastest steam locomotive in the world in Mallard. I would like to thank Steve Davies of the National Railway Museum and his team for helping us bring together a once-in-a-lifetime event which, in the unique atmosphere of Barrow Hill, will be a memorable three days for our visitors”.

Steve Davies added “It is widely known that the NRM is absolutely committed to 4472 Flying Scotsman’s appearance at the Fab Four event. This is a gathering which in many respects has provided the NRM with the ultimate incentive to have the world’s most famous steam locomotive completed in accordance with the revised restoration schedule. We look forward to the A3 taking its rightful place in this classic locomotive line up in the company of Mallard, V2 Green Arrow and the GNR large boilered Atlantic No. 251, which will be present at Barrow Hill en route to its new home at York. We wish the organisers well in this epic venture, which we at the NRM see very much as a warm up act for Rail Fest 2012!”

Other attractions for the event include:

- The appearance of the original ‘Old Gentleman’s Saloon’ from the 1970 film ‘The Railway Children’ (a North Eastern Railway Director's Saloon).
    - The Deltic Preservation Society’s depot.
    - The Brighton Belle restoration project.

Several of the locomotives at the Gala will take it in turn to work passenger trains and there will be numerous opportunities to see the stars of the show lined up in the shed yard to recreate that ‘Top Shed’ feel or the Atlantic 251 turning on the Roundhouse turntable.

10. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    I might just have to come up to this. Sounds fun.

11. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Not to be missed this one. See you there!

12. IndustrialSteamLeeds

IndustrialSteamLeeds Member

Its an North Eastern Railway H class. :)
    Its no longer known as a Y7 after its last overhaul.

13. nhumble37

nhumble37 New Member

Anyone please advise if an evening photo shoot is being staged??
    TIA
    Neale

14. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Yes, Neale - Russ Hillier is organising one. Contact him on 01530 461699 or 07831 217061.

Alexa

15. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Record Holder Mallard Steps into the Breach

At 5.30pm on Tuesday 28 February Barrow Hill Roundhouse was advised by the National Railway Museum, York that A3 4472 Flying Scotsman will not now, as previously advised, be available for "The Fab Four" Steam Gala on 13-15 April 2012.

We appreciate this news will be a disappointment for those who have booked or are thinking of booking tickets for this event. However, Barrow Hill is confident that the stellar line up of steam locomotives on offer including world record holder A4 4468 Mallard, A1 60163 Tornado, A4 4464 Bittern, V2 60800 Green Arrow and C1 No. 251 is one not to miss. All the engine owners have re-confirmed their availability and support for the event.

Barrow Hill is also looking at the possibility of adding another steam locomotive to the line up to ensure the best possible show for our visitors from home and abroad. Any additions to the line up will be announced as soon as they are confirmed.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank those who have already bought tickets for their support and understanding of the situation. Barrow Hill has spent many thousands of £s on site improvements in preparation for this event and is confident the Gala will be a memorable experience for all.

We would also like to thank The Railway Magazine and Mortons Media who have re-confirmed their commitment to the event as media partner.

The line up will now include the following locomotives:

A1 No. 60163 Tornado
    A2 No. 60532 Blue Peter
    A4 No. 4468 Mallard
    A4 No. 4464 Bittern
    V2 No. 60800 Green Arrow
    C1 No. 251
    plus former GCR No. 506 4-4-0 Butler-Henderson, N2 No. 1744 0-6-2T, J72 No. 69023 0-6-0T Joem, J17 No. 8217, J94 Austerity 0-6-0ST, Midland Railway half-cab No. 1708, Y7 No. 13100-4-0T, ‘Black Five’ No. 45110, Peckett No. 2000 and Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST Henry.

Commenting on the news, Mervyn Allcock, Barrow Hill’s General Manager said “Clearly, we are all very disappointed that Flying Scotsman will not be attending. However, the team here has put many hundreds of hours into this event and I am confident that, with the line up on offer, people will come and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”

Other attractions for the event include:

- The appearance of the original ‘Old Gentleman’s Saloon’ from the 1970 film ‘The Railway Children’ (a North Eastern Railway Director's Saloon).
    - The Deltic Preservation Society’s depot.
    - The Brighton Belle restoration project.

Several of the locomotives at the Gala will take it in turn to work passenger trains and there will be numerous opportunities to see the stars of the show lined up in the shed yard to recreate that ‘Top Shed’ feel or the Atlantic 251 turning on the Roundhouse turntable. In addition to our normal passenger services, visitors will be able to enjoy an unusual brake van ride behind the Y7.

Advance tickets are on sale through the Roundhouse’s ticket agent, The Ticket Factory and can be purchased online at www.theticketfactory.com or by telephone on 0844 581 4939. Tickets are NOT available from Barrow Hill Roundhouse.

Advance ticket prices:
    Adult £17 (Friday/Sunday) £19 (Saturday)
    OAP £14 (Friday/Sunday) £16 (Saturday)
    Child £7 (all days)
    Family (2+2) £41 (Friday/Sunday) £45 (Saturday)
    *A £1 admin fee applies to advance bookings

On the day ticket prices:
    Adult £19 (Friday/Sunday) £21 (Saturday)
    OAP £16 (Fri/Sun) £18 (Saturday)
    Child £8 (all days)
    Family 2+2 £45 (Friday/Sunday) £49 (Saturday)

Should advance tickets reach pre-determined levels, then on the day gate admission may be restricted or even withdrawn so Barrow Hill is recommending advance booking in order to guarantee entry.

16. alexastott

alexastott New Member

It's not the news we wanted to give you and everyone here at the Roundhouse is very disappointed. The team here has put 100s of hours into preparing for the event. But the show must go on, we still have an amazing line up and we hope you will support us by attending.

17. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

While I agree that the line up is still stunning may I pose the question as to weather anyone who booked, in good faith for the 'Fab Four ' line up you promoted and does not now wish to attend will be able to obtain a full refund?

Not that this applies to me, I hasten to add I am still coming but I think there is a question of morality here that should be clarified.

18. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I feel for those organizers.

19. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Their event flyer clearly states "Barrow Hill reserves the right to cancel, alter, or suspend any advertised event without notice. No liability for any loss, inconvenience or delay can be accepted." - so they are not obliged to give refunds.

Richard

20. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

If you study my post I asked as an issue of morality. I am well aware of what the flyer said. I really feel for Barrow Hill and think they have been treated very poorly by the NRM. In fact I said to myself when it was announced 4468 and 4771 were going that within a few weeks 4472 would be withdrawn and this was the NRM getting the good news in before the bad!

Please note, however, that 'small print' on flyers such as this may not be enforceable, please bear in mind the unfair contract terms legislation.

Even without this. generally in English Law If something changes after the purchaser accepting the invitation to treat and and the seller accepting the purchasers offer to purchase and accepts their consideration (payment), at which time a contract exists, something that subsequently makes material changes to affect the nature of the goods or services purchased could be considered to make the contract unenforceable. Now I hope that this would not be put to the test but I still think that the question should be addressed before any such matter arises.