If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Edinburgh Flyer 22/03/19 with 60009

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alan wilson, Jan 7, 2019.

1. alan wilson

alan wilson New Member

I am thinking of booking on this in standard class. Does anyone know if the coaching stock is turned at Edinburgh or can I hope to be nearer the locomotive for the return journey?

2. Big Al

Big Al Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Best guess is that the train will be pulled back to Craigentinny Depot so the stock is unlikely to be turned. Best guess is also that a DL will accompany the train to Edinburgh to effect the turn if there is one. The RTC will tell you if you ask..and they know.

3. Davo

Davo New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I went on the edinburgh xmas market more or less the same run to edinbrugh (wi a diff headboard name) from york on the 8th dec and if you book standard you will be at the back o the train both ways cos they run round the entire train on a triangle somewhere east of edingbrugh station but i booked premier dining and was in coach c 4th fro the loco and if you were booked in standard class there was a c, 47 on the rear of train i cant say if there may be on the edinbrugh flyer on 23rd march i reckon there could be if the diesel was to assist turning the train at edinbrugh station and 4 extra heat and lighting

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  4. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Part of the furniture

Freelance photo - journalist
    It depends on the start point. At Edinburgh trains have the choice of turning on the triangle at Niddrie or using the Suburban Line to reverse trainsets. Either way the chosen arrangement sees the consist remain in the same direction hence if you're seated at the rear on the outer stage you will be at the rear on the return.

5. alan wilson

alan wilson New Member

Thanks for the quick responses gentlemen all greatly appreciated.