If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Doon Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by SentinelGav, Dec 22, 2019.

1. SentinelGav

SentinelGav New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some of you may already have seen it on our Facebook page over the last few weeks that the Scottish Industrial Railway Centre have renamed to the Doon Valley Railway. This has been done to better reflect the area we operate in and also to make it more attractive to visitors. The core aim of the railway will remain the same - to preserve the Industrial railways of Ayrshire and Scotland.

Hopefully our name change will encourage more volunteers and an increase in visitors.

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

From the Railways Facebook page

SAVE DOON VALLEY RAILWAY!
    It has been announced (February 2023) by the owner of the buildings we currently lease that they will be placing the buildings up for sale within the next six months.The buildings and areas DVR / ARPG face losing are: Ticket Office, Gift Shop, Customer Toilets, Exhibition and Artefacts Room, Volunteer Rest Room, Signal Box Cafe, Museum, Joiners & Metal Shop and the associated grounds surrounding this area.
    Your support for Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group (ARPG) who operate Doon Valley Railway (DVR) now means more than ever and will shape and secure our very future.
    So what does ARPG / Doon Valley Railway need? ARPG hope to raise a total of £250,000 by Monday 31st July 2023 in order to purchase the buildings critical to our operation which are: Gift Shop, Ticket Office, Exhibition and Artifacts Building, Customer Toilets, Volunteer Rest Room, Signal Box Cafe, and associated grounds.
    The sale of these buildings and land will put the Doon Valley Railway at serious risk due to lack of other storage on site. Many of these areas and buildings are utilised frequently (daily/weekly) by our committed volunteers and during Open Days and other special events by our amazing customers and visitors who support us.
    The Gift Shop, Ticket Office and Signal Box Cafe bring a significant amount of much needed funds and donations in order for ARPG to maintain, preserve and restore the whole site and operate DVR including its buildings, permanent way (Track), locomotives, wagons, coaches and smaller assets, not forgetting our narrow gauge stock. ARPG are in communication with the owner who has expressed his wish for ARPG to purchase and take on ownership of these buildings in order for the 'Doon Valley Railway' to continue to grow, so all is not lost but we must receive your help!
    ARPG offers a wide range of volunteering opportuities to those aged 16-80 years; we are fully committed to our local and wider community which now stretches the length and width of the UK. We want to continue to preserve, restore and maintain Doon Valley and Scotland's railway heritage for many years to come.
    UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE OR UNTIL THE REQUIRED FUNDS ARE RAISED EVERY DONATION NOW RECEIVED BY ARPG / DVR WILL GO TO PURCHASING THESE BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS WHICH WILL FULLY SECURE OUR FUTURE.
    TO PREVENT DOON VALLEY RAILWAY BECOMING HISTORY ITSELF, WE ABSOLUTELY NEED EVERY DONATION.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONATE TODAY BY SELECTING THE DONATE BUTTON ON OUR HOME PAGE ON OUR WEBSITE!

https://doonvalleyrailway.co.uk/

3. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

It is not looking good for the Doon Valley. Just a few days to go and they have only raised £32k out of the £250k needed. I'm sure any donation large or small would be appreciated.

https://doonvalleyrailway.co.uk/

4. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I don't really even know where the Doon Valley is, but a random facebook post popped up this morning of their fireless loco moving under its own (well, charged from somewhere) steam.

5. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You may not be alone, so for those who may not know where the Doon Valley is :-
    rural (?) Ayrshire - part of the old NCB Waterside system.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 14.41.55.png

pmh_74, Paul42 and 26D_M like this.
  6. William Fletcher

William Fletcher Member

The last remains of the once extensice NCB WAterside system, and Dalmellignton ironwoeks, much more than simply a reailway - a sfascinating industrial complex and the inspiration for the David L Smith classic book "Dalmellinton - its Engines and Men". Will be a great loss if it does go, somehwre whith as much potnetnial as Tanfield argualbly

26D_M likes this.
  7. hoffman

hoffman New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Just done my bit:)