If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Aberdonian - 2019

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Steamage, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Works the other way too. 6024 has visited numerous places that were out of bounds, back in the day.

Booked this on back of Auld Reekie discount offer, without properly checking this out. Any idea if my fears of diesel shoveage will be realised?

2. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    This might put things into perspective. I asked the question of the A1SLT about the Tay Bridge as 'doing' both the big bridges was rightly a selling point in the advertising. I got a comprehensive response:

‘The request to run via the Tay Bridge was made in all good faith as Tornado has crossed it before. The request was not rejected out of hand by Network Rail, rather they asked for detailed information on the loco. Axle weights in current configuration, axle spacings, dynamic balancing and more.

A meeting was held for both sides to share detailed information. What is clear is that the Tay Bridge is a much different beast to how it was in the past. Time has taken a toll, and despite significant investment it still requires careful management. Between 1966 and around 1997/98 only basic maintenance was undertaken. This led to a distinct reduction in the capability of the structure. Assessment was made and it was restored to a capability of Class 60 locomotive and loaded fuel tanks, as per the supply to Leuchars. Anything outside of that is now assessed very carefully and even with the most recent interventions the structure is still decaying. It is why some freights only run empty over the bridge but run loaded via Perth. It’s also why double heading is banned on anything bigger than a Class 73.

The high girders are the significant risk area; not only are they very long, so the entire weight of the locomotive sits on a span, there is no centre girder between the up and down lines as usually occurs on a structure. So the weight isn’t spread as well as it might be. When a train runs over the structure you can literally watch a ripple effect as each span is made up of layered 10mm plate sections arranged like a corrugation and they flex. It’s also why no train of any type is allowed to pass on the high girders.

To say that Network Rail have not done their job, as some have, is false. They are under no obligation, license condition or otherwise to maintain the railway outside of its core traffic. Nothing in the HLOS requires it. Their priority is to make the railway and it’s structures last as long as possible for the normal traffic so as to minimise the burden on the taxpayer. That is exactly what they are doing. It maybe frustrating, but it is the reality. We are well looked after in Scotland, with much assistance facilitating charters, but £750m (yes that much) to fix the Tay Bridge for our needs is not justifiable. We shall just have to wait until the rest of the railway require a big intervention or the V4 is finished!’

3. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Totally. Long live Peter Hendy.

4. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

That must be one of the most useful responses we've received on this forum. Thanks for passing it on. As you say, it does put things in perspective

PaulT, MikeParkin65 and 26D_M like this.
  5. KRM47827

KRM47827 New Member

AK
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Very true RE the Tay Bridge. Far more interesting to go over than the big red un further south which is better to look at from below or adjacent.

It's an absolute sheer monster of a bridge (and a rarity) though albeit the much less famous and more ugly to look at from the land. You can't help but fix your eyes on the remains of the Victorian one that collapsed taking a train into the water.

Sadly the restrictions are probably a necessary evil given the history with the previous one and condition of the current one. In reality it's not an economical structure to exist in this day and age but carries several trains an hour much of the day which keep the local economy and people's lives moving so shutting it would never do either even if it would never be built these days at the sort of costs involved.

Aware of restrictions re passing trains which may be lighter on dmu's. With Scotrail starting to increase HST operations over the route though it gets a bit harder as I don't think they can pass over the worst part. Charters come into that category although it's no surprise that myself and others have passed a unit on the middle parts at least an odd time when something has been out of path! Usually though one of the trains would get a red before going over. Human error/discretion can occur though, of course.

Bluenosejohn and 26D_M like this.
  6. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    The introduction of HST's to the Scotrail fleet doesn't alter what was already in place regarding working methods on the Tay Bridge. No trains, regardless of weight or classifications, are allowed to pass one another over the high girder section. Certainly that was the case when I last drove over it 12 months ago under instruction.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  7. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well said, in effect very few if any steam locomotives are in original as built condition after their first overhaul. The number of boilers carried by 60103 is probably into double figures and although the frames are normally taken as the basis of an individual engine Crewe built a spare float of frames for Black 5s to speed up overhauls.
    The fact that we can still enjoy mainline steam is itself a miracle, I remember attending a talk by Dick Hardy in the Mid 80s when he said it might be possible to go on until around 1995 but to expect to see steam on the network after that was just not realistic but here we are over 20 years later.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    PaulT, alastair, Bluenosejohn and 4 others like this.
  8. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Yes, we don't want an excuse for a reprise of McGonagall's (in)famous poem.

John Petley and Sheff like this.
  9. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Anyone else find it staggering that NR are openly admitting this?

10. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

No. Seeing as it was nothing to do with NR, who didn't come into being until the collapse of Railtrack in the early Noughties.

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Not at all. Basic maintenance does mean maintenance does it not? Neither is there a need to maintain a structure for non normal transition of a RA9 locomotive.

12. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

And part of Railtrack's demise was their complete lack of understanding of the infrastructure that they were responsible for and resulting poor maintenance. Unfortunately it took several accidents to bring about change.
    For all Network Rail's faults the infrastructure investment seen in the last 15 years has been remarkable and the improvements in safety is to be commended. Preventative maintenance and investment now takes place, rather than just patch up and mend - none more so than the huge slip on the Settle to Carlisle a few years ago which would have more than likely brought about the line's closure not so long ago. Instead the work undertaken has ensured that even if another major slip occurred the railway would remain standing on its subterranean viaduct !

Romsey, andalfi1, Sheff and 4 others like this.
  13. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Post by Graham Langer 15mins or so ago - Tornado has passed its FTR for tomorrow's train.

Sheff, andalfi1 and sunstream like this.
  14. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Good to hear as I am about to head north.

15. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Anyone know how Tornado gets to Carlisle ready of the 16/3 train after theAberdonian ?

16. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
  17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I can confirm it's in steam, having just passed it.

18. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

sycamore likes this.
  19. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Have a look at FRGT 2322 from Joppa Straight to Carlisle tomorrow (Fri) night.

20. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired