If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tenders/Ingot Carriers

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by class8mikado, Nov 23, 2012.

1. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sad to hear about yet more Steel industry closures announced by TATA , esp in South Wales.

Wondering if its worth making an enquiry to any of these sites regarding ingot carriers converted from Locomotive Tenders which they might still have/use which could now be potentially 'rescued'... ?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have a feeling that people looked into this many years ago and that the last ones were cut up a long time ago. Would be happy to be proven wrong.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    IIRC they got pretty badly knocked about in the steel works and weren't considered worth purchasing back by those groups needing new tenders.

4. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks guys,
    read that 71000 got some decent wheel sets back in the 80's that way - even if the chassis we're a bit knocked up..but that was 30 years back now

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

In the "Camelot" book, it states that they got a BR1 tender underframe from Briton Ferry that had been an ingot carrier, paying £500 for it! (That was in 1978). It also mentions that even as they negotiated for it, many other tender underframes there were being cut up and thrown into the blast furnaces.

Even though they reckoned they got the best of the ones remaining, it was "completely rusty, with damaged buffer beams, no train or intermediate buffers, no axlebox covers and with a distinct kink in the frames on the fireman's side. The frame stretchers also needed to be replaced as the top ones had been bent downwards (thus pulling in the frames at the top) and the bottom ones had been cut away altogether and replaced by temporary ties. When these upper stretchers were cut out during dismantling the frames sprung apart with a resounding clang!"

That was in 1978, so I very much doubt there is anything useable left 35 years later!

Tom