If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tender journal scrapping size questions

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by mcjlf1, Aug 5, 2007.

1. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have some questions in relation to scrapping size of tender wheel axle journals; if you've never been invovled in wheels & axles, then look away now.

In essence it is this:

For those of you who are familiar with the LMS limits and fits book, sheet W5 for straight axles gives journal diameter (LM) tolerance as +0, -0.0025 for shafts between 4.73 - 7.09" diameter - per table G9. So say for a nominal 5 1/2" dia journal, you can go down to 5.498" dia before you have to do something about the wear.

-2.5 thou seems to be on the 'tight' side, when one considers the wear and light pitting that will be present on a Barry loco where the 'boxes have been left open to the elements, and doesn't leave much room for maneuver when trying to clean up journals for future use.

Is my interpretation correct, or do people have experience of taking a clean up cut greater than 2.5 thou to clean up a journal?

What stops one from just picking a new nominal diameter (for all six journals on the tender) thus effectively starting your tolerances from a clean sheet?

Are there nominal sizes or other journal tolerances in accepted use elsewhere?

Are there alternatives to making a new axle, i.e. by sleeving the journal? (feels like a bad idea).

Thanks in advance.
    James

2. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    I hate to ask, but are you reading this right? I don't have the necessary books so can't say, but a reduction in diameter of 0.005" doesn't sound a lot. On a 5 1/2" journal it represents a loss of cross-sectional area of only 0.0332 sq ins. I don't think they were made that close to maximum loading when new!

Are you sure it isn't 0.25"?

3. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    Well I think so. All the dims in the Lims & fits book to my knowledge are in thous.

Here are the relevant pages:

4. LMS2968

Right, I think I've got it. These are the maximum and minimum clearances of shafts or axles in their bearings. For example, let's take the 4.73" to 7.09" journal. For a nominal size, it can be between 0.000" and 0.0025" below that size, i.e. +0.000" to -0.0025". The bearing can be from 0.0035" to 0.0075" larger in diameter than the shaft, so the clearance is from 0.0035" to 0.010" (largest size axle in smallest bearing (0.000" in + 0.0035" = 0.0035") to give a clearance, or smallest shaft in largest bearing (-0.0025" in +0.0075" = 0.010"). If the journal wears beyond 0.0025" below a given dimension, it is turned down to the next available underside, and the bearing is remetalled and machined to the same tolerances relative to the new bearing size.

Hope that makes sense. I know what I mean, anyway...

5. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

That is correct LMS2968, and your description does make sense!

James - those are tolerance tables and not scrapping tables.

Keith

6. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    So how do I get to the scrapping size then?

7. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I don't know for certain, but I imagine there is a maximum amount of whitemetal that can be added to a bearing to compensate for wear in the axle. Once you reach that maximum amount then the axle is scrap next time around as you can't compensate for any more wear.

Keith

8. LMS2968

You also need to consider the cross-sectional area of the axle; as the journal is turned down to compensate for wear or damage, so this and the strength of the axle reduces. This could lead to the point where it cannot withstand the shear forces imposed by the vehicle's weight and snaps. So a practical limit emerges.

Also, the pressure on the bearing surface increases as the axle diameter reduces (pressure = force / area), leading to loadings in excess of what the bearing can carry, and an increase in the tendency to run hot.

9. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    Ok, thanks for this debate and comments guys.

Whilst a theoretical minimum journal dia can be calculated (I suspect this will be relatively small for a lightly loaded tender axle), the railways must have had guideline amounts written down somewhere. This I guess is what I need to find before making a decision. If anybody has anything, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Thanks
    James

10. RobHickerton

RobHickerton New Member

Engieering Consultant
    What the railways would have done when they had large workshops will probably not be relevant to today. You could recover an axle by turning down and shrinking on a sleeve, and then finish turning it to standard size, or metal spraying could be an option. I don't know whether the railways would have turned them down and used non-standard bearings or just knock out a new one. I suspect they might have turned them down a couple of times, by an 1/8" or so each time and used a non standard white metal brass. With an axle of this size (>20square inches) I don't think shear failure is in the equation.

Rob

11. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    OK, so if I may put this in another way then; Does anybody have any experience of sleeving or metal spraying that they'd be prepared to share here? I don't particualrly like the idea of either, but I also don't like the thought of making a new axle. I had always assumed that 'thermal' processes on axles were not permitted, but perhaps metal spraying does not raise significant issues.

I had a recollection of seeing something in one of the comics years ago which had an article on Bellorophon (?) which mentioned that it had had journals improved by metal spraying.

12. burnettsj

burnettsj Member

Is there no journal (sleeve) pressed on the axle?? I'm sure some railways did this. Is there any markings on the end ox the axle?

Stephen

13. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    mcjlf1 what type of tender are you talking about. Is it one of the fowler type?

14. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    Yes.

15. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    My photocopy of the BR/LMR scrapping limits is a bit poor and this particular section is difficult to read but the scrapping limit for tender axles appears to be 0.625" reduction on new dia. I can't read the accompanying note, though. It doesn't relate to any particular diameter. 'Obsolescent' loco tender journals were allowed to be reduced by 0.75". The same figures applied to bogie and pony axles. Repair (re-machining) was required when ovality/taper reached 0.020".

Edit: I've now managed to decipher the note, which states that the root radius should be kept as large as possible but to avoid scrapping an axle it may be reduced to 0.25"

HTH.

Steve

16. LMS2968

That seems a pretty cmprehensive reply!

17. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    Oh that's interesting Steve - thanks for posting - any chance you could scan that particular page and let me have copy? (or even a scan of the whole thing?!). I'd be very greatful, as hopefully this may allow me to proceed to sort out the wheelsets. [I'm talking here about the tender for 4F no. 4123 by the way, so yes it's a Fowler type - sorry for previous brief response - was pushed for time and tired... no animosity intended.]. Oh yeah - all I need to do now is establish what the new size is supposed to be for a Fowler tender...

18. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I've scanned the two pages but they reflect the quality of the original! The document is entitled 'Repair Limits & Scrapping Sizes' and has a revision date of May 1964 and originated with the CMEE Derby. You'll note that by this time 4F's were regarded as obsolescent!

19. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    Thanks to all for the information. Scrapping limits particularlly useful. But.... I can't seem to find the 'new' diameter of the journal anywhere. It must be on a drawing somewhere, but I can't locate it. If anybody can shed any light on the 'new' new diameter of a Fowler tender journal I'd be very pleased to hear from you...I hoping not to have to make a new axle.

Thanks
    James

20. LMS2968

From LMS LOCOMOTIVE PROFILES No 2 - The Horwich Moguls by Davbid Hunt, Bob Essery and Fred James, Wild Swan, 2000 ISBN 1 874103 56 9. This is just a small part.

[​IMG]