If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Talyllyn Railway Have-A-Go Gala 4th & 5th July 2009

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by age4047, Jun 21, 2009.

1. age4047

age4047 New Member

Passed Fireman
    [​IMG]

2. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

And there I was thinking 'Yes! I'm finally going to be able to verbally abuse Talyllyn staff!'

Misleading. :lol:

Looks great, always nice to see the public interacting with the railway.

3. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Considering today's announcement concerning the very difficult financial situation at the railway, we should urge everyone to support this initiative!
    Pity they don't allow online membership (though the shop does take credit cards). If even the new Glyn Valley Trust can do memberships online with Paypal, it's a shame the Talyllyn doesn't seem to have entered the digital age! Certainly those of us overseas without active UK bank accounts would love to support more railways like the Talyllyn if online payments were possible!!

4. age4047

age4047 New Member

Passed Fireman
    I will pass on your feedback if you don't mind, because it is just one of many improvements that are long overdue to our website and plenty of us feel the same.

With regard to the Have-A-Go Gala if anyone has any questions I will be happy to try and answer them. Expect to see a busy weekend with three, maybe four of our steam locomotives out and about, plenty of passenger trains inluding our 1860's vintage carriages, diesel movements and evening trains too. This event also coincides with the 3rd annual open weekend of the Llechfan Garden Railway. How many people knew there was an extensive 16mm garden railway at our Wharf station terminus? http://www.llechfan-garden-railway.org/ for more information.

5. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Am looking forward to it.

6. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

Re: Paypal

Paypal can be very difficult to deal with as a recipient of funds - I wish there was a less awkward alternative.

Richard

7. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Re: Paypal

Yes - I gather the Corris is still having problems with Paypal and the shop?
    I know some places that have a shop that takes credit cards have allowed memberships through the shop - but unless one has a secure server then getting the credit card details to the shop is still a problem as emailing card numbers is not to be encouraged - here phoning the card details in might be an answer - if less than ideal.

8. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

Good luck to the Talyllyn.
    I won't be able to get to this gala but will be in the area at the end of July on holiday with the family and I will definitely drag them along for a return ride along the line.

Regards,

Paul

9. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Sounds great.

Is it only footplate turns/footplate passes available, or are turns 'shadowing a guard' available? Would be very interested, if so.

We came along as visitors in 2004; a particular highlight was the last train of the event, which saw every serviceable steam loco attached to the train, to haul it from Wharf to Pendre. Iirc, Nos 1 & 2 took it on to Nant Gwernol and back, on a wonderful Summers evening.

Do you know if there are any plans to replicate the 'multiple-header' on the last train of the event?

It sounds great though guys!

10. age4047

age4047 New Member

Passed Fireman
    Footplate turns are heavily promoted because they are usually the most popular, but if you fancy getting involved in something else you will be made more than welcome by our friendly volunteers. Give David, the organiser a call and I'm sure he'll be able to accomodate you. His number is on the poster above.

Sadly nothing like this is planned that I am aware of. However there are special trains up the valley on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, which is the perfect time of year to view and photograph trains with the evening sun shining on the opposite side of the valley, just like in this photo below.

[​IMG]

11. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I quite agree. A few years ago I was part of a group of Swanage volunteers who spent a weekend working at the Tally each year for a few years, and can honestly say I don't think I've been to a more welcoming railway; all the TR volunteers and staff went out of their way to make sure we had a good weekend. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it up in the near future, but would certainly encourage anyone who is able to pay a visit to do so, even without the current financial circumstances.

Best memory was getting into a scrap about who was going to clean out the ashpit; unlike Swanage there's not enough room in it for 6 shovel-wielding bodies...!

12. age4047

age4047 New Member

Passed Fireman
    Locomotives No.2 Dolgoch, No.3 Sir Haydn, and No.7 Tom Rolt are diagrammed for the weekend.

I will be driving Sir Haydn on Saturday and Tom Rolt on Sunday, feel free to come say hello. \:D/

13. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Sounds great.

Do you know if there are any booked diesel turns, over the weekend? I'm presuming that it will be No.8 'Midlander' on the 'driver for a fiver' duties.

Also (sorry for the questions), are the trains on Friday and Saturday evening valid for the public to ride, or are they 'driver experience' runs?

14. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

I am hoping to visit for the first time in August. Really looking forward to it. \:D/

15. age4047

age4047 New Member

Passed Fireman
    My guess is that it will be No.8 Merseysider on the 'driver for a fiver' turns as it is our most 'user friendly' diesel. There are no other diesel turns as such but expect to see No.8 involved in plenty of shunt moves throughout the weekend.

On Friday evening the train is a footplate experience not meant for passengers; it departs Pendre around 1720 if you want to see it make it's way up the valley though. On Saturday evening the train IS for passengers and departs from Tywyn Wharf at 1900. Footplate rides are on offer for a small charge and No.2 Dolgoch is diagrammed for this turn.

The daytime driver experience trains between Wharf and Brynglas will be formed of No.2 Dolgoch and the vintage carriages, which makes for a lovely combination.

16. age4047

age4047 New Member

Passed Fireman
    Good evening all from sunny Tywyn.

A few late changes to tell you about; No.1 Talyllyn will replace No.3 due to mechanical failure. This means both of our original locomotives will be in service this weekend. \:D/

I am also informed that Hunslet diesel No.9 Alf will be performing the 'Driver for a fiver' trips; a change from the norm of using No.8. Not only is Alf more suitable in the hot weather (it's cabless...) it is also much noisier!

I hope you all enjoy the weekend.