If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage this weekend....34067 Visit

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by portline, May 1, 2009.

1. portline

portline Member

34067 Tangmere arrives in Swanage tomorrow at about 1.30pm. 34070 Manston will be service train engine tomorrow and 34028 will be on display at Swanage Station in steam.
    On Sunday when 34067 returns from Eastleigh there are plans afoot to line up 34028,34067 and 34070 near the signal box for a bit of a photo shoot.
    We will keep everyone posted and hope to see you all there for this truly historic occasion at Swanage.

2. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

Which signal box ?

Many thanks for gen. =D>

3. portline

portline Member

Swanage Signal box. One on the new pit road, one on the bay road and one on the running line.

4. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

what time are they planning to do the photo shoot?

5. portline

portline Member

as yet we haven't quite figured that one out yet. 34028 will be pottering around Swanage all weekend.
    It all largely depends on when 34067 arrives back from Eastleigh. Also it depends on when 34070 finishes its day.
    We will hopefully know by tomorrow what exactly is going on. Please be Aware that this is not an Official Photo-shoot as such. There will be no track side access but good pictures can be obtained from the bridge and on the bank by the road. If you do take pictures of this and have not travelled on the trains during the day then please stick a quid or two in the donation box at Swanage Station.
    Thanks for the interest and we will be keeping nat pres up dated as and when we find out what is happening.

6. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

As I had a very late night last night it was very nostalgic to be having a lazy breakfast in bed and hearing a bullied whistle as she went through Hamworthy this morning. She was about 10 mins early at the time.

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    :smt002 :smt002
    A bullied (sic) whistle? Really? Should this not be reported as a case of whistle abuse? :smt002

8. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Lots of good publicity via a BBC News video report, with Pete Waterman describing Swanage station as "pure 1950's".
    I think this link is posted elsewhere, but can do no harm to have it here as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8030465.stm

A good bank holiday for steam, your happenings at Swanage, Tornado on the Moors, and for me? well seeing a superb Duke of Gloucester at Kidderminster in the sunshine!

9. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    More shades of the Summer of '67...........just strolling home in the sunshine from a walk on Upton Heath and a Bulleid (34067) rattles past Hamworthy light engine from Eastleigh (turning move on the triangle) to Swanage. \:D/ =P~

10. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
  11. basher

basher Member

Musician
    At the risk of asking a ridiculously silly question.......which timings do I believe, for the train arriving/departing on the Swanage Branch? I've seen at least two separate versions bandied around, one on uk mainline steam, and the other on here (quoted from NR). Who do I believe?

Either way, I can't wait to be there - I'll be out for a ride on 'Manston', as well as photting the railtour in and out - and spending some money in the shop too!

Does anyone know any times for the ECS moves, between the 47's arrival at Swanage and 34067's departure please?

If 34067 makes it onto another service train incidentally, I'll endevour to be on it.... \:D/

12. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

Well done to people for organising to get the two together =D>
    [​IMG]

Many thanks

Nathan

13. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

Last thing first - 34067 is highly unlikely to be on anything other than the charter out of Swanage tomorrow (Mon). Mainly due to the fact that the incoming charter is an hour earlier than it was on Saturday and we have to "loop" the two passenger services while it passes.

We believe that it will be the 37 back again with the charter from London. It will remain on the tail end, with probably 33103 taking charge of the ECS movement away from Swanage to just beyond Norden. This then lets the modified passenger services to resume.

As for the timings, work to NR times on NR metals, but the key point for us is getting it all to Furzebrook in time for the mainline slot. Timetabled departure of the charter from Swanage is 4pm Swanage time - this slipped on Saturday to about 4:20 but I was up the line so don't know why.

As for the ECS moves, essentially allow 40 mins in SW on arrival to get everybody off, tank what we can and get the Crompton on front. Then its straight off to the "edge of the world" where it waits until running back to arrive in Swanage 20 minutes before the final departure. Should be able to work it out from that and the gaps in the published special timetable http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/09broch/time4may09.pdf

14. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

The NR timings for both Saturday's and Monday's Swanage - London trains is 1610. It never has been booked at 1600.

15. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Sorry, but does anyone know what time it arrives on the line?

Guessing at lunchtime, but I'm arriving on a bus at Corfe at 1140 and don't want to miss it heh!

16. James

James Part of the furniture

17. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Out of interest did 34067 run tender first back to Eastleigh to be turned and then instated on the front of the train for the return journey? When I looked at details on the web it implied that 34067 would be dragged at the rear on the return with a class 47 doing the work up front.
    I'll come down for the day and spend some money next time if steam specials are hauled both ways.

18. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Well done to everyone concerned with these two trains. There have been so many good things happening on the steam front this year that one can easily overdo the superlatives, but it was truly fantastic to see Tangmere last Saturday firstly on the climb up to Furzebrook and then blasting through Corfe Castle Station with the through train. Even the weather was perfect for this little piece of history. I gather that until 2013 the number of through passenger trains from the national network to Swanage is going to be limited, but this weekend has proved it can be done. I look forward to news of more steam-hauled trips before too long, and hope I can travel on one soon.

19. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

Tangmere worked the London-Swanage leg of the tour on Saturday, with a 37 on the end. Tangmere & support coach detatched at Swanage, 37+10 coaches returned to London.
    Sunday - Tangmere went, light engine, bunker first to Eastleigh, went round the depot triangle and returned later the same day - bunker first. This time, smokebox facing London.
    Monday (today) - 47 brought the second tour into Swanage from London. Tangmere and support coach attatched to London end and took the whole lot back to London.
    We are still learning, so at present a steam tour in & out on the same day with a turned around loco is still on the "to do" list.

20. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Thanks Signsguard. These are great times for the Swanage Railway - so much achieved and so much more within sight. I can see that a turntable might be on your shopping list in the near future!
    All the best and well done.